JCM 800 gifted to EVH, then owned by Jose Arredondo - only $200k

• Thread starter Deleted member 16554
  • Start date
I know he liked the SLO but never heard it was like a JCM 800 .

If you google you will find different versions including the modded JCM one, but what i hear from actual amp builders is that SLO is based on a JCM 800 and is a simple mod over the JCM. By the way Soldano started his business selling modded JCMs. The 5150 is the amp he probably never used in studio, that man said "a variety of amps" when asked if EVH used the 5150 in studio and then he said he would use the 5150 live with a maximum gain of 3.

The person that will buy this amp is the same type of person who can do this on a whim! No offense to the guy BTW.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...m.6793483364012018&idorvanity=256997247660695
cMhZmAT.jpg

Last edited:
If you google you will find different versions including the modded JCM one, but what i hear from actual amp builders is that SLO is based on a JCM 800 and is a simple mod over the JCM. By the way Soldano started his business selling modded JCMs. The 5150 is the amp he probably never used in studio, that man said "a variety of amps" when asked if EVH used the 5150 in studio and then he said he would use the 5150 live with a maximum gain of 3.
It's far from an 800. The only thing it has in common is the use of cold clipper. Anyone who claims that it's easy to mod an 800 into an SLO is misinformed. Mike started out modding fenders and Mesas.

Laney's ? I like Laney's but I never heard that Ed had used them.
From the jas obrech interview.

JAS: "How many amps do you use?"

EVH: "I had four good amps that I used to use all the time, but I don’t have them anymore. What I basically have is three different setups, three complete setups. I have three 100-watt tops of whatever make – right now I’m using Music Man, a couple of Laney amps, which are English, and a couple of new Marshalls. I’m just using everything right now because I lost those old amps. But I use like three 100-watt amps for the main set – what I call it – and then I do my guitar solo, and after that I change guitars and amps to setup number two. And setup number three is also again three amps, for backup."

It's far from an 800. The only thing it has in common is the use of cold clipper. Anyone who claims that it's easy to mod an 800 into an SLO is misinformed. Mike started out modding fenders and Mesas.

I can't really tell by myself. One source that told me that, worked projecting and building tube amps for a company, those were based on Fender amps. Later he started building his own amps, mostly clones but also his creations. He is really good at it, he can do anything. He can build i.e. a clone of any complex Mesa Boogie Mark. One amp he used to sell a lot was a mod of the SLO, he made it three channels ages ago.

Anyway this link is interesting, claims to be a jcm800 mod by Soldano himself for what later would become the SLO-100.
https://reverb.com/item/61128-marsh...-slo-mod-done-by-mike-soldano-bill-sundt-1985

Last edited:

EVH: "I had four good amps that I used to use all the time, but I don’t have them anymore. What I basically have is three different setups, three complete setups. I have three 100-watt tops of whatever make – right now I’m using Music Man, a couple of Laney amps, which are English, and a couple of new Marshalls. I’m just using everything right now because I lost those old amps. But I use like three 100-watt amps for the main set – what I call it – and then I do my guitar solo, and after that I change guitars and amps to setup number two. And setup number three is also again three amps, for backup."
I bet Iommi got him into the Laney's because Iommi and Ed were super tight .

I think all those JMPs in Ed's rigs are NMV versions. I don't know how common they were back then, but they're kind of rare these days. I've had two of them and regret selling them.

Funny when I saw Ratt on out of the cellar tour (Whitesnake opened) They were using Laneys too. Must have been the go to option not wanting to lose precious Marshalls on tour.
I am familiar with the loosing the amp on tour story. I did not know he got it back.

This JCM800 2203 is ABSOLUTELY stock. No mod, no part's change, nothing!
Even the lead dress isn't optimized, so it might oscillate around the PI (like many Marshall's do) so it easily might be, that you'd find a better sounding 2203 than this one.

Back