Stone Temple Pilots: The Robert DeLeo Interview

I use STP in my lawnmower. Good stuff. :checkthisout:

I bought most of their albums and they have some deep cuts that I like pretty well. I'm not so much into their radio hits as much for some reason... except Sour Girl which I covered in my band.... that was an interesting tune that was out of their normal sound.

I bought most of their albums and they have some deep cuts that I like pretty well. I'm not so much into their radio hits as much for some reason... except Sour Girl which I covered in my band.... that was an interesting tune that was out of their normal sound.
The bassline in that song is a masterclass in groove and taste.

My band covered Sour Girl too. It was kind of a challenging song to get to sound good IMO. No one in the audience cared though. We also played Days of the Week. Again, no one cared. Now Vaseline, Interstate, and Cracker Man, the audience always dug.

this is my favorite live video ever. Weiland is one of the great front man ever. i cant imagine being up there and you have people as far as you can see singing back your every word.

Agreed. Saw him with Velvet Revolver way back, front of the pit. Band comes out and starts playing some long intro…just before the vocals come in Weiland pops out from backstage in a white captains outfit and hat and was the most rock star rockstar I’ve ever seen in my life for the entire night. I was just in awe of how cool he was the entire set - every second of every song. You can’t teach that

Robert is cool on IG, he’s @‘ed me twice. Class act, new solo record is heart and soul.

Robert is cool on IG, he’s @‘ed me twice. Class act, new solo record is heart and soul.
Need to check this out.
Saw STP and VR many times.
Scott was hit or miss. When he was on, he was splendid. When he was off, it was so disappointing.
Robert's bass lines have so much to do with how awesome the STP songs are.
That band really is a case of each member bringing greatness.
I love STP, have all their stuff. Dig Scott's last album too. It's an overlooked gem, imo.

STP was so great live . Top tier

Truth.
I saw them on tour with Local H whom
really gave the Pilots a run for their money
opening up coming out hard af & a full-on
rippin’ set.

STP had so many bangers though,
,-one right after another.
STP even pulled an acoustic set during the show
& brought Weiland out on a couch to start off
the acoustic rendition of
“Dancing Days”.—FUCK YEAH!
They were such a unique band.
Who doesn’t love those killer jazz verse chords Beato’s talking about?

Weiland.. what’s DOPE AF about him was
the technique he applies to singing
“to the notes” in the chords,
-like “Interstate Love Song” ,he applies
the counter melody & butters the
notes & chords together.

Also the way he comes in on “Creep”,
he doesn’t come in on the one,
which serpentines the melody ever so gracefully…

TELL that to the Puddle of Mudd CLOWN
-whom got caught with his pants down attempting to cover Nirvana
AND coming in on the one.
-most dude’s painstakingly know not to get
all caught up in one of Kurdt’s cool songs man.

I dig the songs “Seven Caged Tiger’s”,
“Adhesive”, “Naked Sunday”,
“Wicked Garden” & “Sour Girl” f’n herds man.

Last edited:
Truth.
I saw them on tour with Local H whom
really gave the Pilots a run for their money
opening up coming out hard af & a full-on
rippin’ set.

STP had so many bangers though,
,-one right after another.
STP even pulled an acoustic set during the show
& brought Weiland out on a couch to start off
the acoustic rendition of
“Dancing Days”.—FUCK YEAH!
They were such a unique band.
Who doesn’t love those killer jazz verse chords Beato’s talking about?

Weiland.. what’s DOPE AF about him was
the technique he applies to singing
“to the notes” in the chords,
-like “Interstate Love Song” ,he applies
the counter melody & butters the
notes & chords together.

Also the way he comes in on “Creep”,
he doesn’t come in on the one,
which serpentines the melody ever so gracefully…

TELL that to the Puddle of Mudd CLOWN
-whom got caught with his pants down attempting to cover Nirvana
AND coming in on the one.
-most dude’s painstakingly know not to get
all caught up in one of Kurdt’s cool songs man.

I dig the songs “Seven Caged Tiger’s”,
“Adhesive”, “Naked Sunday”,
“Wicked Garden” & “Sour Girl” f’n herds man.
Incredible. Is that the show where the acoustic set came down from the ceiling ?

jumped the first 15 min straight to talk about Core.
some really good banter there

i was surprised he said it was a six month wait to get his record pressed. i thought the vinyl rebirth trend was slowing again, shows what i know.

I got to see STP with Weiland twice, in ‘97 and again in ‘07 for the reunion tour and Weiland was fucking ON for both those shows.

The 2nd time in ‘07 was the day after they played in NJ and he was fucked onstage, they went on over an hour late and he was a mess. Radio stations were reporting that Robert was outside his bus bangin’ on the thing screaming “Come on Axl! Let’s fucking go, Axl!” and there was all kinds of speculation on if they’d cancel the tour right there. Being a hometown show for Dean and Robert, no wonder they were livid.

The sun had just set at Great Woods the next night by the time their stage time hit, they opened with “Big Empty” and the venue went fucking apeshit. Pretty ballsy song as an opener; if Scott came out fucked up like he was the night before, that could have gone the total opposite direction just because the tempo of that song in the opening spot of a set. Just a perfect setting, perfect temperature for a summer show and the band sounded so fucking great. Scott killed it that entire set. The crowd’s response was crazy that entire time. I remember being blown away that at that point in time they could still get that big of a reaction.

When I saw them in ‘97, it was the first show I’d gone to without parents, I was 15. Cheap Trick opened and it was my first mosh pit experience. As soon as they came out my buddy and I got swallowed into it, in disbelief people were moshing to fucking Cheap Trick. Halfway through STP’s set a 2nd stage lowered from the rafters and they did a whole acoustic set on it, basically recreating the Unplugged vibe. My only previous shows were Floyd and G3, so this was my first experience seeing ‘rockstars’ that weren’t being heralded as legends or virtuosos at the time, my mind was still blown regardless.

I saw them a few years back with the new guy and he does a GREAT job covering the vocals but man, the second I see anyone doing the Weiland/Jagger moves it feels like a cheap imitation to me. Just because you’re singin’ the songs doesn’t mean ya HAVE to do the moves, too. Bennington was doing it as well. Both those dudes are/were great singers, they didn’t need to do that shit to pull the audience in, just kick ass singin’ the damn songs and do your own thing.

Back