Western Electric USA Made 12AX7 Updates

This is a relatively local company to me, I’d be very happy to support them and have a reliable great sounding new 12ax7. Maybe if it succeeds they’ll expand their offerings?

"But voodoo is exactly the problem, say tube skeptics like Glenn Fricker, an engineer of 25 years who specializes in metal bands at Spectre Sound Studio in Ontario, Canada. He sometimes uses a 1966 amp with its original tubes, but he doubts expensive replacement tubes would improve the sound.

“As a kid we are led to believe there is some dark art in tubes which will inherently change the sound of your amp,” Fricker says. But when he devised an experiment using sound canceling to reveal the audible differences between tubes, all he uncovered was “a little clicking sound”—they were otherwise identical. He advises guitar slingers to skip the $1,300 vintage Telefunken “Diamond Bottom” 12AX7 online at Tube Depot for the $20 JJ brand from Slovakia. While Fricker is rooting for Western Electric, he says, “Are they going to sound any better than your dear, cheap JJs? No.”

Lmao, this fucking guy.

"But voodoo is exactly the problem, say tube skeptics like Glenn Fricker, an engineer of 25 years who specializes in metal bands at Spectre Sound Studio in Ontario, Canada. He sometimes uses a 1966 amp with its original tubes, but he doubts expensive replacement tubes would improve the sound.

“As a kid we are led to believe there is some dark art in tubes which will inherently change the sound of your amp,” Fricker says. But when he devised an experiment using sound canceling to reveal the audible differences between tubes, all he uncovered was “a little clicking sound”—they were otherwise identical. He advises guitar slingers to skip the $1,300 vintage Telefunken “Diamond Bottom” 12AX7 online at Tube Depot for the $20 JJ brand from Slovakia. While Fricker is rooting for Western Electric, he says, “Are they going to sound any better than your dear, cheap JJs? No.”

Lmao, this fucking guy.
Goddammit he is the embodiment of the midwit in the middle of the bell curve meme.

Lmao, this fucking guy.
This guys a sound engineer?

I’d say it’s time to retire; clearly his ears are shot. Especially if he can’t tell the difference between JJ pre and pretty much everything else 12ax7.

I’d say it’s time to retire; clearly his ears are shot. Especially if he can’t tell the difference between JJ pre and pretty much everything else 12ax7.
At this point, he has just went full goofball mode...just saying anything to get clicks. Which makes sense because most of his income has to be from youtube. Does he even actually work with any bands of note at all?

That tube comparison video was the first and last video of his I ever actually watched.

Aside from his stupid face, he was using some of the least usable tones to do his comparisons. Basically all it proved was that he can make any amp with any tubes in it sound like garbage

https://www.wired.com/story/one-man...fIL0hkigvffI_pMEynn6efu6dR5e_9K04UVbQ1DvejobU
TLDR summer of 2023.

If he’s aiming to take the Russian 12AX7WC and improve upon it to be more reliable I’ll be switching to his tube exclusively.
Awesome!
I really want some, but I hope I can afford them. I'd be willing to pay more to support an American tube company, but not stupid amounts more....
Well, maybe if they blew my doors off :LOL:
Im really hoping for some EL34's from them, that would be killer!

Last edited:
Back