The Ultimate EL34 Based Amp

• Thread starter Deleted member 16554
  • Start date
Helmut is much, much older and I'd enjoy one of his amps. I couldn't risk waiting that long with the certainty of Helmut denying his old age or from sepsis due to his now widely known scat fetish before the amp is even started. 🤷‍♂️
Respectfully altered for greater clarification. :D

Last edited:
Had my xtc classic over 20 years at this point, has always worked for me but obviously subjective. But not like I haven’t tried many others since so fact is still here says something.
903D6A04-7CAC-4594-8246-3A612A02973A.jpeg

I’m goin with OG JCM800. Wayyy back when I was at GIT in 89/90, they had a pair of JCM800s on the ‘Main Stage.’ They did NOT approve of students carting their own rigs on and off stage. You were allowed 1 (one) pedal and 1 (one) pedal only. The very few times I made it to ‘Main Stage’ I brought my scuffed up TS9 along and wound up that JCM800 and just could not believe the tone. Fast forward to my one and only pro audition (which I did NOT get) and they had an OG JCM800 in the room. I plopped that same old scuffed up TS9 in front of it and played my ass off. Didn’t get the gig, but got a ton of positive feedback and very productive criticism / advice and DAYUMM I know I didn’t lose out on the gig for lack of TONE!!! JCM800 FTW.

Lenz Amplification Hot Chili 100.

After owning and playing the amplifier
incessantly, I realized I need nothing else
but my ability.
It reminds me of everything I loved about
the Dino 939 minus all the switching and
how loud that machine needs to be to
give up the magic.
You completely forget the HC 100 has
various flavor’s of Marshall, each flavor is so damn good and volume roll off is on par with the broken
cleans of a Fuzzface with volume cut
back to 7.5-8.
You just start f’n jammin’ & jammin’.
A banger’ of an amplifier.
What cab is that btw?

I have yet to play an EL34 amp that sounds and feels as good as my old original 2-input Friedman BE100, she's a keeper. I did play a Cameron Ocean-modded JCM800 once that was up there as well (different sound/feel but absolutely killer), one of those would work too.

Back