Western Electric USA Made 12AX7 Updates

This guys a sound engineer?

I’d say it’s time to retire; clearly his ears are shot. Especially if he can’t tell the difference between JJ pre and pretty much everything else 12ax7.
I would rather use a tascam 4 track cassette player with a deaf 4 year old at the helm rather than Fricker. I’m not even kidding. Imagine being in a session with him for 15 hours. He fancies himself the Howard Stern of audio engineers, but is more like stuttering John, bababooey, or beetle juice.

That tube comparison video was the first and last video of his I ever actually watched.

Aside from his stupid face, he was using some of the least usable tones to do his comparisons. Basically all it proved was that he can make any amp with any tubes in it sound like garbage
I'm going to make a video of me popping perfectly good 12AX7s on the sidewalk and sending it to him.
red.gif

If anyone wants a link sent to them; Go Fund me $100 bucks to help cover for the tubes, safety glasses, EPA and hazmat fines and sidewalk cleanup, possible jail time ect ....
yinyang.gif

I'm sure they got responses and based this on responses plus the time and effort it will take them to release. I don't see them stopping there. I mean how many people have hifi tube stereos? I'm honestly asking as I have no idea.

As far Fricker, his vids pop up in my feed and once a week I give him a chance and stop the video halfway through. He does little recordings that sound the same so it must be the same right then has the fucking nerve to call it scientific proof. I work in Research and Development for a large chemical company and if I ran an experiment like this and made similar assumptions, I would have those assumptions picked to shreds. The only thing I think he has proved is that he doesn't know how to capture the differences in gear.

Seriously does he think that over the years recording studios wasted all that time trying or layering different amps, pickups etc etc instead of just using the same shit? OK. Show me anything he has produced that sounds good? His claim to fame is the singer from Queensryche's solo and i think that was only a song or two. I liked Queensryche but it wasn't the vocals that had me interested.

As far Fricker, his vids pop up in my feed and once a week I give him a chance and stop the video halfway through. He does little recordings that sound the same so it must be the same right then has the fucking nerve to call it scientific proof. I work in Research and Development for a large chemical company and if I ran an experiment like this and made similar assumptions, I would have those assumptions picked to shreds. The only thing I think he has proved is that he doesn't know how to capture the differences in gear.

Seriously does he think that over the years recording studios wasted all that time trying or layering different amps, pickups etc etc instead of just using the same shit? OK. Show me anything he has produced that sounds good? His claim to fame is the singer from Queensryche's solo and i think that was only a song or two. I liked Queensryche but it wasn't the vocals that had me interested.

Fucking Glenn Fricker and his youtube "science" I work in a regulatory chem lab and if we did shit like that we'd be laughed the hell out. But what do you expect from someone who basically makes the claim that nothing makes a difference in tone. According to him we should be able to plug a cable into our butthole, play air guitar and all sound like a 5150 with a SM57.

You think any of the tubes from WE are going to be completely US made, or affordable? It won't be both.

And the 12AX7 smells like a teaser. A few audiofools might purchase them, along with WE 300B's. That's where the money and market exist.

I saw $180 mentioned in the article and hope they aren’t that high, even mint nos 12ax7’s aren’t that much. Then my other concern is if they’re going to make an American style 12ax7 or a more British type. I’d imagine the audio people want an American style tube which don’t lend themselves very well to high gain/ British amps.

I saw $180 mentioned in the article and hope they aren’t that high, even mint nos 12ax7’s aren’t that much. Then my other concern is if they’re going to make an American style 12ax7 or a more British type. I’d imagine the audio people want an American style tube which don’t lend themselves very well to high gain/ British amps.
I had no idea there was american vs british preamp tubes. I am just hoping they are hi gain and very low microphonic like silver dragons.

I'm curious about these. Thing is, I have 100's of NOS preamp tubes, so unless these things sound incredible and are cheap in price, it will be tough to give up my money.

I may be mistaken, but I believe they are going with 12ax7 first because they are popular and they already had the tooling to do so
They didn’t have the tooling, they had to source it.

Basically they plan to make power tubes IF THERE IS A SUFFICIENT DEMAND FOR 12AX7s

He said in the article he doesn’t invest on hype alone and would need to see the dollar signs to go forward.

12ax7s? What we really need is power tubes. Or am I missing something?

12AX7's are smaller and probably require less investment to produce. I'd imagine Western Electric is starting out with these as a test bed to see if producing larger tubes would be worth it.

That tube comparison video was the first and last video of his I ever actually watched.

Aside from his stupid face, he was using some of the least usable tones to do his comparisons. Basically all it proved was that he can make any amp with any tubes in it sound like garbage
that's not difficult, i've been doing it for 30+ years:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

at that price point they'll be out of business quickly.

Maybe it is 3pks for $180. Still high but if they are NOS quality then there would be a market maybe.

Back