Parker Fly or Mayones Regius for shredding?🎸

ZackElekes

Hey guys! So recently I got to the point where I want to upgrade my guitar. The main reason for this is that I want a guitar for shredding, thats easy to play. I like to play with really low action.
What do you guys think which guitar would be better for shredding, a Parker Fly or a Mayones Regius?

I heard Parker Fly are great guitars, ahead of their time but getting some parts can be challenging and expensive.

I'd look at Ibanez, Jackson, ESP,...Charvel first. Kiesel is also worth a look to get what you want, and if it's not available in the online Builder, call and ask...just make sure you get a written description of all the features because once you place an order you can't change it.

I've built many Kiesels, but never ordered because Ibanez or Jackson usually has something close enough, and lower cost...but I rarely buy Japan or US models

Never played a Mayones but I do remember playing a particular Parker Fly Deluxe a long time ago that to this day was the easiest-to-play guitar I've ever touched

Honestly there's no way to help with that other than you playing the guitars (not easy for these ones, I know). People shred on everything though, and it's really whatever is most comfortable for you.

I would stay away from Parker Fly guitars altogether. When I did repairs for a local shop they had multiple Parker Fly's come in with frets popping off. Their frets have no tangs. They're just glued onto the surface of the board. They will just straight up pop off randomly. There's no marking on the board either, so if you have someone that doesn't know what they're doing, they'll just glue it back on in any place. If you ever have an Intonation issue with one, might be a fret glued in the wrong spot by some butt head.

There's a dealer in Connecticut called Brian's Guitars that's a Mayones dealer. I'm thinking about heading up there sometime next month to try some Mayo's out. Never played one in person, but they look killer.

I would stay away from Parker Fly guitars altogether. When I did repairs for a local shop they had multiple Parker Fly's come in with frets popping off. Their frets have no tangs. They're just glued onto the surface of the board. They will just straight up pop off randomly. There's no marking on the board either, so if you have someone that doesn't know what they're doing, they'll just glue it back on in any place. If you ever have an Intonation issue with one, might be a fret glued in the wrong spot by some butt head.

There's a dealer in Connecticut called Brian's Guitars that's a Mayones dealer. I'm thinking about heading up there sometime next month to try some Mayo's out. Never played one in person, but they look killer.
wow thanks for the PSA
i've always heard that the Parker Fly was "over" engineered
it makes sense that due to the product that getting frets reset could be an issue specially given the design of the neck, etc

Sounds like you’ve narrowed your choices down to the Parker or Mayones. Of those two, I’d go with the Mayones. I owned one several years ago and they are incredibly built and play like butter. The 11 piece neck is great and strong, you can get really good low action on it.

Sounds like you’ve narrowed your choices down to the Parker or Mayones. Of those two, I’d go with the Mayones. I owned one several years ago and they are incredibly built and play like butter. The 11 piece neck is great and strong, you can get really good low action on it.
Yeah, I pretty much narrowed down my choices, I’ve tried a Parker Fly recently and it was phenomenal. The neck was so easy to play. The only serious downside of Parker guitars is that the company doesn’t exist anymore, so replacing and fixing anything can be a nightmare. That’s why I am having a hard time choosing between Parkers and Mayones Guitars. I am not sure if the Mayones would be as great as the Parker

Yeah, I’ve heard some horror stories too and they are true, but this thing mostly happens to refined Parkers, pre-refined Parkers are built better, at least the frets.

It’s been over a decade now since I last tried a Parker, but I remember it being pretty good (my opinion could be completely different now lol). I’ve owned 3 Mayones’s in the past (2 Regius’s, 1 Duvell) and have tried at least 6 others. For me, they looked great and had nice, sleek playability, but the tone itself was too sterile (furniture with strings attached kinda sound). I’ve had other shred type guitars though that imo played even better and some of them also had good tone to them

Last edited:
In terms of playability, it’s hard to beat Mayones. I’ve owned a Regius and own a Duvell. Both have amazing attention to detail. Perfect fretwork.

That said, in my revolving door of guitars, I’ll be selling the Duvell soon.

I love mayones, but just so you know, their necks are wider than most other similar brands (not thicker just wider. Also unrelated but I’m selling a bunch of guitars you might like for shredding🤣

I love mayones, but just so you know, their necks are wider than most other similar brands (not thicker just wider. Also unrelated but I’m selling a bunch of guitars you might like for shredding🤣
Any chance one of them might be the GNG? If so, I could be interested. I also have a Dean Gordon btw

To be honest I am leaning pretty hard towards the Parker, the only thing thats stopping me is the fact that the company doesnt exist anymore so it’s a difficult guitar to maintain, whereas the mayones doesn’t have these problems

I bought a Parker Fly Deluxe in 1995 - it is such a great guitar, and I have had zero issues with it at all. Granted I take care of my stuff, but it plays just as well as when I bought it new. The frets are stainless so there is zero fret wear.

Back