Recommend me a multimeter

Chubbs

Hey guys, been using my Klein MM400 for years now and it’s been great, but I’m thinking it’s time to get another meter, preferably a better one. Mainly using it for amp work, and some home/automotive work. That being said I don’t see much difference in features from say a $50 meter up to a $300 meter. Suggestions welcome, I’d like to stay under $250 unless there’s a product worth the jump.

I’m a huge fan of Brymen.

I have four of the 4 digit meters. They’ve been good to me.

Fuck a fluke. Ever since the company was sold off years ago they’ve done no innovative designs since then and are overpriced.

I’m a huge fan of Brymen.

I have four of the 4 digit meters. They’ve been good to me.

Fuck a fluke. Ever since the company was sold off years ago they’ve done no innovative designs since then and are overpriced.
Much appreciated and Il check them out.

For me, the main parameters when deciding on measuring devices:
- Manual or automatic range switching. I prefer manual, in the case of automatic you have to be careful that it is not annoyingly slow.
- Maximum voltage and current ranges
- Measuring of additional units, such as capacity, inductance, ...
- Standardized terminals for the possibility of using additional/3rd party probes.
- Covering of the terminals against unwanted contact

I have a Fluke 177. It is a little cheaper than the 87-V, but just as accurate as far as i can tell by specs. 87-5 tests temperature, but i have a digital radar temp gun. and 87-5 is industrial grade.

Are there any particular reasons you guys chose those models? I’d imagine it’s an accuracy thing primarily for voltage, resistance,capacitance, ect, as most meters can handle the current and voltage of 99% of amps.

Are there any particular reasons you guys chose those models? I’d imagine it’s an accuracy thing primarily for voltage, resistance,capacitance, ect, as most meters can handle the current and voltage of 99% of amps.
Fluke 115 recommended to me by a trusted amp tech.

(y)

I have used multimeters professionally for a lot of years. I was so spoiled by always having fluke that when I bought a cheaper brand about 8 years ago, i was so disappointed by the lack of accuracy. That shit matters so much, especially in ohms. So I was really irritated with the quality of this one brand. I am not an expert on different brands of multimeters, and after testing the waters briefly, I don't want to be. So I bought a 177 and haven't had a single issue.

Last edited:

I like the 87-V for its accuracy and resolution for testing both resistance AND capacitance. Not a lot of meters are good at measuring capacitance and this one can measure down into the pF range, which is hard to find. It also has a higher res. mode for voltage. Plus it's a Fluke, so I know it's gonna last a long time and I can trust it.

I use a Fluke 179. I had to replace the internal fuse once… I touched something I wasn’t supposed to. Hahaha. Still works perfectly.

1682212264528.jpeg

I'm not super knowledgeable on electric stuff but all the electricians I have worked with over the years seem to favor FLUKE...ymmv. good hunting

Ive got 2 Flukes that are 15 and 18 years old that still work beautifully and get used nearly every day at work. Ive got a newer 87III and an 87V that are fantastic, but Ive only had the 87V for 3 years and the 87III for 5, so they are still newborns to me :LOL: They stay in a hard case and only come out for critical stuff out in the wild.
I also still run a Simpson 467 on my bench that must be 40 years old but still works nicely too.
The Flukes are more than they should be, but they are super accurate and last a stupid amount of time if you take care of them.

I have a Fluke 1587 that I use, has up to 1kv megger and everything else anyone could reasonably use. Durable/solid....

Back