New Gear vs Used Gear

Texsunburst59

Are you a have to buy my gear new ,or a rather buy used and find killer deals on used gear?

I haven’t bought a new guitar since I custom ordered my ‘99 Tom Anderson Hollow Trop Top Classic.

Since then, almost all my gear I buy used.

I will patiently seek out deals from local pawnshops, CL, and network with local buyers/sellers and musicians.

I’ve scored a lot of amazing deals on quality gear over the last 15+, and still have most of them.

Same

When I started this quest 13 years ago it was all NEW. Had to have new. No old DNA.

Now it is almost always nothing but Used, although I have not purchased anything in awhile. But my Mesa amp/cab and Splawn amp/cab and Peavey Vypyr 60 were all purchased used.

Depending on what it is; but generally I prefer buying new. I'll buy used if I know the seller or can see/try the gear before buying, or it's no longer available new.

Guitars I buy new if possible; tube amps I buy new when possible. The way some people treat their gear, lie about condition, mods, etc., you don't always know what you're getting online (e.g., reverb).

I have a sales rep at both MF and SW that I've worked with for years, and I usually order through them. At MF I can usually get a good discount and have points balance to apply. SW may also deal, so I usually buy from SW if MF doesn't have it/carry it.

Recording gear/mics/pres/interfaces/DAWs/etc. I buy new.

Guitar gear I buy used and new. THE ONLY amplifiers I own that I bought new were my 5150II in 2005 and my 6505MH I bought new to support a mom/pop shop.

The only guitars I’ve bought new were a gibson standard and a Gibson traditional and I still own both.

Older guitars are just a hassle imho given you just don't know if the neck developed a twist or bump over time and the frets will have wear and perhaps also have lifted from the slots here and there. Plus more recent manufacturing just seems more precise and tighter IME.

I don't mind buying used, but I do try to look for something built in the last few years unless I've willing to sink money into it.

I pretty much always prefer to go for used gear when it comes to amps and guitars, unless it's something that's too hard to find used.

I pretty much do both. It all depends on what I'm looking for, prices, and what's available.
Some things are out of production and no choice but to buy used.
For custom builds and small runs if I get on the list the only choice is new.
Sometimes used prices are so close to used I may as well buy new.
And other things you can get great deals on buying used.

Are you a have to buy my gear new ,or a rather buy used and find killer deals on used gear?

I haven’t bought a new guitar since I custom ordered my ‘99 Tom Anderson Hollow Trop Top Classic.

Since then, almost all my gear I buy used.

I will patiently seek out deals from local pawnshops, CL, and network with local buyers/sellers and musicians.

I’ve scored a lot of amazing deals on quality gear over the last 15+, and still have most of them.
90% of my purchases over the years (too many :) have been pre-owned.

All new here. Too many bad experiences over the years with used gear dying soon after I bought it.

Back