Who wants to listen to a Wizard and shit on my tone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16554
  • Start date
Sounds pretty good to me. You have an angry sounding rhythm tone that's nice and thick. Only critique I have is for that particular riff it could be pushed with a tad bit more gain. You're definitely on the right track dialing it in.

I still have my trusty old Ultra-lead.
I would say they are similar to the Wizards I have played (MCii, w800 which I own) in their tightness and immediacy for sure and also compression levels. There are similarities, but for me, the Wizards are the better amp: while relatively simple, they are voiced so well and the controls make them super versatile; there are multiple "sweet spots" on a Wizard I find. Anyway, if you get a chance, check out a Fryette. They used to be one of the best boutique high gain bargains out there....

Here’s an iPhone video of my MTL KT150 and my old UL

@Bram576 @glpg80 @hopkinWFG @VHTStark Appreciate all the pedal suggestions, gonna try the OD808, SD1 and Koko and see where that gets me

@RaceU4her @MadAsAHatter completely agree on the more gain part, it’s one of the reasons I feel like I’ve struggled with the amp. That clip had preamp at 8, master at 2 and the highest gain setting switched on. I’ve never played a JCM800 so don’t know how “gainy” they are. It took some work with IRs and really smacking the strings to get some heavy sounding stuff out of the amp.

Anyone have thoughts on eq’ing in logic to maybe derive a little more of the pushed feel? Maybe even before logic in the fox loop with a 10 band mxr eq perhaps?

@Bram576 @glpg80 @hopkinWFG @VHTStark Appreciate all the pedal suggestions, gonna try the OD808, SD1 and Koko and see where that gets me

@RaceU4her @MadAsAHatter completely agree on the more gain part, it’s one of the reasons I feel like I’ve struggled with the amp. That clip had preamp at 8, master at 2 and the highest gain setting switched on. I’ve never played a JCM800 so don’t know how “gainy” they are. It took some work with IRs and really smacking the strings to get some heavy sounding stuff out of the amp.

Anyone have thoughts on eq’ing in logic to maybe derive a little more of the pushed feel? Maybe even before logic in the fox loop with a 10 band mxr eq perhaps?

What you're getting from the Wizard in terms of gain is about what you'd get from a JCM800. You're best option to push it a little more is going to be hitting the front end with a boost. Which boost is going to be more personal preference. The go to standards are tubescreamer types & SD1.

Here’s an iPhone video of my MTL KT150 and my old UL

Dang both sound awesome, do you have an opinion on which wizard amp offers more gain/heavier tones than the W800? Would love to hear it if you’d consider sharing

Wizard are pretty raw uncompressed modded marshall types. But not modern as like the monomyths, ground zero, lickliter etc. It's the punch, tone and immediacy.

But compression is fun. Probably why adam jones likes a marshall and a vh4 together

Wizard are pretty raw uncompressed modded marshall types. But not modern as like the monomyths, ground zero, lickliter etc. It's the punch, tone and immediacy.

But compression is fun. Probably why adam jones likes a marshall and a vh4 together

Dude the crazy part is I bought a Diezel Herbert a few weeks ago and hated it. It was the opposite of the W800…waaayyyy too much gain and it honestly was so clinical/surgical that it drove me insane!!! So perfect that I felt I was playing a computer (I’m gonna get so much shit for that comment lol).

Now that you mention the Adam jones combo, I do wonder what that would sound like with the W800

I thought it sounded pretty good.

Thank you but I just want you to know that I will never sound as good as those multi-colored JH1’s you own (all 15 of them)…that picture is seared into my brain and I’ll probably be telling that story after I get dementia at the senior citizen center

Dude the crazy part is I bought a Diezel Herbert a few weeks ago and hated it. It was the opposite of the W800…waaayyyy too much gain and it honestly was so clinical/surgical that it drove me insane!!! So perfect that I felt I was playing a computer (I’m gonna get so much shit for that comment lol).

Now that you mention the Adam jones combo, I do wonder what that would sound like with the W800
You are looking for the goldilocks amp. Now you are a real rig-talker

Honestly, his marshall sounds great with the vh4. But can you imagine the w800 with its angry ass scream in the mix with the vh4? That is a toasty idea

Honestly, his marshall sounds great with the vh4. But can you imagine the w800 with its angry ass scream in the mix with the vh4? That is a toasty idea

I’m now thinking I might need the Diezel back lololol I’m fucked

Sounds good man.

What are you particularly referring to that
I need to shit on?
Donald Trumps head?
RODGER THAT!!

Honestly, I thought in the intro that was “ Herb”
from Primus and you were going to bust into
some “ Too Many Puppies”.

Sounds nice & thick,
-I was waiting for you to open up a can of whoop ass man!!

Back