What are the qualities of a good progressive humbucker?

scottosan

I just traded for an EBMM JP6. I definitely hat the liquidfire neck and I feel the crunchlab could be a tad hotter.and clearer. I want to develop a progressive type humbucker and something different than my current offering. I leaning toward ceramic but not as hot as my Psykes, but a little tighter, but not to dry.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is what are some good progressive humbuckers that I can use as a baseline? Or what would the characteristics of an ideal progressive humbucker be?

Thanks
Scott

I just traded for an EBMM JP6. I definitely hat the liquidfire neck and I feel the crunchlab could be a tad hotter.and clearer. I want to develop a progressive type humbucker and something different than my current offering. I leaning toward ceramic but not as hot as my Psykes, but a little tighter, but not to dry.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is what are some good progressive humbuckers that I can use as a baseline? Or what would the characteristics of an ideal progressive humbucker be?

Thanks
Scott
Sunset strip

Trying to expand the product line
I like the Roxy a lot, it sounds thick and full. The Psykes is great beast to be tamed. But at the end of the day, that Sunset Strip does it for me. Expand the product line to a nice fat single coil (not humbucker spaced)

Personally I like the Nazgul/sentient set. If the mid spike would come down just a tad I would use them more often. It's just if I tune to e it's too much of a snarl. I really like the TKO pickups mayones uses if you can get one to try. I really liked those in my regius and I'm pretty happy with them in my duvell but I maybe tuned a little too low.

Somewhat warmer mid focused..Clarity without harshness...Girth without bloat...Maybe somewhere in the 11-13k range..I lprefer Alnico 5...can be tight but still have warmth.

Personally I like the Nazgul/sentient set. If the mid spike would come down just a tad I would use them more often. It's just if I tune to e it's too much of a snarl. I really like the TKO pickups mayones uses if you can get one to try. I really liked those in my regius and I'm pretty happy with them in my duvell but I maybe tuned a little too low.
+1 on the Nazgûl / Sentient set. They are tight and have great attack. Good for guitars that need sharper lows on the low strings and more clarity. The mid spike is probably where it’s attributes come from. If you could achieve the same clarity with less spike that would be a good pickup.

Last edited:
Any of the Steve Vai offerings will get it done. Even the dimarzio paf pros like the original Jems

following because if you design something around a JP6 I will be first on your list to grab it…

I’ve had a few different pickups in mine, and I’ve settled on the Lundgren Black Heaven. Tight, clear, a bit brighter, but not super trebly

DiMarzio EVO 2 and FRED make me very, very happy. Although it's mostly used as a bridge pickup the FRED can also be a killer choice in the neck.

EVO 2 bridge and FRED neck combo would be pure excellence.

Both are tight and clear AF in the lows. Snappy and percussive. Beautiful highs but never shrill.

EVO 2 uses the virtual vintage technology.

***Info links from DiMarzio's website:

EVO 2: https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/high-power/evo-2-bridge

FRED: https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/medium-power/fred

Last edited:
The Distortion is what I think of based on your description, but I assume you're familiar with that. Where does that pickup sit in comparison to what you're looking at?

following because if you design something around a JP6 I will be first on your list to grab it…

I’ve had a few different pickups in mine, and I’ve settled on the Lundgren Black Heaven. Tight, clear, a bit brighter, but not super trebly
I've heard a few recommend this unfortunately the DCR isn't listed on their site.and no one listed in on previous auctions. Any idea what the measure at?

DC resistance Bridge 10.4KΩ

DC resistance Neck 8.56KΩ
This tells me alot. 10.4k is too high for 42awg (you can fit it into a bobbin), and a bit low for 43awg as the wind count would have PAF output. European wire sits in between the US sizes. This is probably the equivalent of 42.5 awg @6200-6300 winds. 42.5awg is available, but this would be output similar to 12.5-13k of 43awg. That's were I'll start

+1 on the Nazgûl / Sentient set. They are tight and have great attack. Good for guitars that need sharper lows on the low string vs and more clarity. The mid spike is probably where it’s attributes come from. If you could achieve the same clarity with less spike that would be a good pickup.
That is exactly what I was thinking just a little more than the black winters but not as much as the Nazgul.

My single coil idea was not a joke, a lot of progressive players are going back to middle and in between position and single coil sounds.

Back