Best picks

Did a very recent AB between them and couldn't agree more.
After playing with the EJ for a while the Petrucci would feel HUGE by comparison.
Too much low end on the initial attack too.
I Remember when JP First came on the Scene he was using Jazz III's. I Know cause i watched DT Play at the Plus 5 Lounge right after Images & Words came out. The Room held about 350 comfortably but only 50 people showed up that night and when DT played Pull me under, JP Threw his pick at the end of the song and hit me right in the middle of my forehead in front of a chick i was desperately trying to bang that night.

Did a very recent AB between them and couldn't agree more.
After playing with the EJ for a while the Petrucci would feel HUGE by comparison.
Too much low end on the initial attack too.
I normally like the Tortex 1.0 mm, myself. But I cannot always get them. I can live with 1.14 too. 1.35 even.

If not, my second choice is the Ultex Jazz III's, but those are even harder to get. The yellow ones. The black 2.0's are way too thick and thuddy for me.

Last is the regular red nylon Jazz III's or any of their variations. EJ, Max Grip, etc. I think those are fine to me.

I normally like the Tortex 1.0 mm, myself. But I cannot always get them. I can live with 1.14 too. 1.35 even.

If not, my second choice is the Ultex Jazz III's, but those are even harder to get. The yellow ones. The black 2.0's are way too thick and thuddy for me.

Last is the regular red nylon Jazz III's or any of their variations. EJ, Max Grip, etc. I think those are fine to me.

Where are you located? I order my picks in bags of 72 & they last me for a while.

Where are you located? I order my picks in bags of 72 & they last me for a while.
Vancouver. Yeah, I think I'm going to order online. But I'm thinking if I'm going to order, I might as well order something custom with a cool graphic or something.

Vancouver. Yeah, I think I'm going to order online. But I'm thinking if I'm going to order, I might as well order something custom with a cool graphic or something.
In that case you may want to order from Intune. Dunlop is pretty expensive for custom picks, they also give you a massive quantity.

Dunlop Tortex .6mm. Fuck the rest.

You can do anything and everything with that pick. Choke up and thrash, back off it and thwack, thin enough to get great sounding pick scrapes.
Amen. I’ve been collecting picks since the early 00’s. My collection is over 3,000 now. It includes several of the most obscure and boutique picks out there. I scour eBay for old discontinued picks all the time. The Tortex orange is usually what I pick up. My biggest influences played thin picks and they just work for me since I’ve adapted to them. Better clarity, more diverse, and more dynamic.

The 6 below are what I typically grab. The lot are my favorites in my collection and stay in my music room. The rest fill up 5 Celestion speaker boxes in my garage

Attachments

• IMG_7739.jpeg
    IMG_7739.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7740.jpeg
    IMG_7740.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 27
Amen. I’ve been collecting picks since the early 00’s. My collection is over 3,000 now. It includes several of the most obscure and boutique picks out there. I scour eBay for old discontinued picks all the time. The Tortex orange is usually what I pick up. My biggest influences played thin picks and they just work for me since I’ve adapted to them. Better clarity, more diverse, and more dynamic.

The 6 below are what I typically grab. The lot are my favorites in my collection and stay in my music room. The rest fill up 5 Celestion speaker boxes in my garage
Do you play fast triplets and trems with a thin pick?

Do you play fast triplets and trems with a thin pick?
That’s not what I play typically…….but yeah I can do that. Trem picking is actually easier for me with a thin pick when picking from the wrist. I choke way up.

Mustaine uses the yellow Tortex which isn’t too far off from the orange. And Gilbert uses the orange despite having his own jazz style sig. Tipton and Schenker used 60mm nylons which are floppy as hell. So it can be done.

I know it can be done, I have done it joking around. I just doubt any metal players use thin picks as it kind of works against you. I can play dad rock with my thumb or a coin or any pick I get my hands on. Acoustic, I prefer a thin pick as i am doing way more strumming than picking out single notes or trying to get pop out of palm muted downstrokes.

So I have been playing with all the picks. Right now, believe it or not, The V pick Screamer is winning. It took awhile to get used to that big of a pick. I like the thickness, but it is one of my longer/wider picks. But the material is perfect for fast picking, and once you figure out the right grip, you can do anything with it. I can effortlessly move from fast trem to full chords with this thing.

Back