Another example of Eddie's impossible swing

Very good analysis of Ed's playing !

Take the ISO track to "I'm The One", slow it down to half speed and listen to the main riff.

Ed grew up listening to 'big band' era records. It's in his DNA.

Playing swing/boogie time is a whole other skill set altogether, let alone being able to do it at EVH speed levels, when he was practically a kid.

Do you mean AVH??
Last time I listened to Van Halen
EVH is the guitar player & AVH is the drummer
in the band.
(In case you never knew)— BIG AL.
If anything else EVH was a keys guy, not a drummer.
If no AVH..
WTF is that killer snare sound coming from?
Oh!!! EVH!!! Right!
What a bunch of idiots looking to start some beef.

Attention YouTuber’s:

Desperation.. is a stinky cologne.

Do you mean AVH??
Last time I listened to Van Halen
EVH is the guitar player & AVH is the drummer
in the band.
(In case you never knew)— BIG AL.
If anything else EVH was a keys guy, not a drummer.
If no AVH..
WTF is that killer snare sound coming from?
Oh!!! EVH!!! Right!
What a bunch of idiots looking to start some beef.

Attention YouTuber’s:

Desperation.. is a stinky cologne.

Speaking of desperation..

BINGO!!
That’s the taproot of both Eddie & Alex’s magic
Those guys had to play music to EAT.
Not for fashion here,
-as kids growing up.
THEY LEARNED & EARNED the cuts.
For survival..Christmas was playing music for people on X-Mas so they could eat and have a roof over their heads not opening gifts & celebrating.

Now add an excitement junky like
David Lee Roth to front this brotherly muscle
of magic..

Got Reverb?…on the snare?
Like with the heart & fists of Rocky Bslboa punching it?
Now we’re talking AVH and the gray colored heads!!

Hey..ain’t that Flavor Flav’s old lady??
She needs to sit the fuck down!!!

OMFG.. it just came to me..

From witnessing Sly Stone get clobbered in the face throughout the rounds that start going up in a flash..,
-his face looks is like a warm pancake target.
AND the hairdo??
“The Cobra Fro”

I can’t stop laughing man…
F’n-a , LET’S LIVE!

Eddie was great.

I didn't get into VH until many years into my playing, but when I really started to listen him, the one big thing that stuck out to me about what he was doing (besides the tone) was that he always had this kind of "drunken master" thing going on with his playing where it always sounded like he was *about* to screw up, hit a wrong note, lose his momentum, fall too far out of tempo... but he never did.

The brilliance of Eddie's playing to me was that it always sounded like he was pushing against the very limits of his own abilities as a player, while also driving his equipment to the ragged edge of what it could do before blowing up, like he was riding in a mine cart on swerving tracks at top speed, always slamming back and fourth between the left and right rails, balancing on two wheels, but never tumbling over. Every performance always felt like it just barely didn't end in catastrophe. And as a listener, you felt that. Everything he did felt triumphant in a Hollywood style "underdog is thrown out of his exploding ramshackle car and slides across the finish line in a photo finish, 1st place" kind of way.

Of course now I know that he was never in any "danger" of messing up. Instead, he was just so good that he could mimic playing like he was about to mess up, but really he was always in full control of everything. Awesome.

I wonder if the swing in his playing was what made him sound like that.

Last edited:
Say what you want, but I'm a FIRM believer that DLR had a LOT to do with the swing, he wanted tunes chicks could dance to, supposedly EVH and Al were way more like Black Sabbath and Grand Funk Railroad and the other music of their time, they became VH when all the pieces were in place. I HATE giving Roth credit for anything, but I think his tastes shaped the music for the better. I think he pulled a lot of stuff out of those guys that may not have ever seen the light of day. That's NOT diminishing Ed or Al's contributions or their ability to play it that way, but I think it may not have happened without Dave.

Say what you want, but I'm a FIRM believer that DLR had a LOT to do with the swing, he wanted tunes chicks could dance to, supposedly EVH and Al were way more like Black Sabbath and Grand Funk Railroad and the other music of their time, they became VH when all the pieces were in place. I HATE giving Roth credit for anything, but I think his tastes shaped the music for the better. I think he pulled a lot of stuff out of those guys that may not have ever seen the light of day. That's NOT diminishing Ed or Al's contributions or their ability to play it that way, but I think it may not have happened without Dave.
They would never have been as big as they were, without Roth.

(y)

Fair enough, but let's face it, Dave could have pulled all he wanted from anybody, but how many guys at the time could have even gotten close to what the VH bros ended up putting to tape?

I mean there's not too many guys now who can do it, even with the real-deal recordings available as examples, along with every other resource in the world instantly accessible with a couple clicks.

Last edited:
I find this lick to be pretty simple. No joke. When I first saw this video title, I thought it would be something very different.

I’ve yet to hear anyone play I’m the One correctly at speed. Everyone sounds “off” when playing it.

Back