Does Reverb automatically add tax?

Matt300ZXT

I've never purchased off of there, but if they're like practically EVERYONE else the past few years, I assume they automatically add your local state sales tax? I'm looking at maybe buying a higher end rock amp and just curious if they do, whether it's from a shop on there, or just some guy selling his personal gear off.

I've never purchased off of there, but if they're like practically EVERYONE else the past few years, I assume they automatically add your local state sales tax? I'm looking at maybe buying a higher end rock amp and just curious if they do, whether it's from a shop on there, or just some guy selling his personal gear off.
Yes they have charged tax for a while now. That was right around when I checked out.

Yep definitely charge tax....and usurious fees for sellers so you'll end up paying way more for something on there than it's worth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota_v._Wayfair,_Inc.
Supreme Court ruled that states can tax out of state businesses in 2018, which caused online retailers to panic and tax everyone.
And what is weird is that it seems the rate changes depending on the state you live in (not referring to Reverb here). For example, Humbucker Music is in my home state of Georgia. If I buy from Humbucker Music I pay a higher tax than if I buy from other out of state vendors. I've never bought anything from Humbucker Music and I'm in their own state!

And what is weird is that it seems the rate changes depending on the state you live in (not referring to Reverb here). For example, Humbucker Music is in my home state of Georgia. If I buy from Humbucker Music I pay a higher tax than if I buy from other out of state vendors. I've never bought anything from Humbucker Music and I'm in their own state!
ah, good ol Humbuckers Music. I know that store. When I worked at GC, one of our guys left to go work there but I've never bought anything from them even though they're just across town.

If it's an actual brick and mortar store selling on Reverb, see if you can find them online and buy direct. I've done that in the past, and was able to buy from the store's webiste without sales tax. It doesn't work every time, but it might be worth a shot.

There is nothing weird. The court ruling allowed the buyer's local government to tax an out of state business when purchasing an item online. If the business is in your same state, you pay the tax rate of the physical store's municipality, not your own.

If it's an actual brick and mortar store selling on Reverb, see if you can find them online and buy direct. I've done that in the past, and was able to buy from the store's webiste without sales tax. It doesn't work every time, but it might be worth a shot.

I do this frequently -- no tax and can usually negotiate a better price too

Not only do the online retailers charge sales tax for the state they reside in, but my state wants online purchases to be declared so I can be taxed again on that purchase.

Don't forget that if you sell more than $600 total you get taxed on that too even if you're just an individual selling off a couple old items.

I still wouldn't care for it, but all this tax nonsense wouldn't sting so much if the tax revenue wasn't squandered by our governments.

I'll stop there before I go full on rant....

Back