Jackson custom shop vs ESP custom shop

Sounds like my experience. I'm done with Charvel/Jackson. I was so annoyed by that experience.

The Ibanez LACS shop is clearly off limits to the public. Fine. But they don't trot out LACS stuff to NAMM. I'm begging Jackson for a custom order, and they say Sorry, too busy, but then each year shit out half a dozen "masterbuilt" NAMM guitars that are monstrosities of burled poplar painted in rainbow vomit. Is that really helpful to them? Maybe those things really do help drive sales for Jackson, which is depressing.
It’s real interesting how some of these companies won’t take your money nowadays right? Lol

@Bram576 @cardinal you guys are spot on, it’s exactly why I made my peace with Jackson and moved on with my life.

If everyday fans can’t get these guitars, why advertise them all over Instagram.

clearly my money is no good :LOL:
Yeah, Schecter and ESP custom shops are open for business and happy to work with you. Lead times are getting up there, but at this point if someone's custom shop doesn't have a long line, that's a pretty good message to find another shop.

I was lucky to get my custom shop Kelly a few years ago before the prices and wait times got totally ridiculous- still took 2 years but it was worth it!
Are custom shop guitars gonna cost 10k in a few years?

If custom shop Kelly’s are selling for $10k, then 1.) I’ll be the first one to sell mine on the used market and I love that guitar btw 2.) we’ve probably got Venezuela style inflation

But I’m also someone who couldn’t have imagined a $5k Jackson custom shop price tag so it’ll probably happen lol

Sounds like my experience. I'm done with Charvel/Jackson. I was so annoyed by that experience.

The Ibanez LACS shop is clearly off limits to the public. Fine. But they don't trot out LACS stuff to NAMM. I'm begging Jackson for a custom order, and they say Sorry, too busy, but then each year find the time to shit out half a dozen "masterbuilt" NAMM guitars that are monstrosities of burled poplar painted in rainbow vomit. Is that really helpful to them? Maybe those things really do help drive sales for Jackson, which is depressing.
It’s real interesting how some of these companies won’t take your money nowadays right? Lol

Speaking of Ibanez and LACS. In 2019 Ibanez finally announced their full custom shop at Guitar Summit. Japanese made though, select your exact woods, any pickup combo, any pickup combo, basically anything you wanted. I immediately emailed my contact at Ibanez. He said something like it won't be available for years. There hasn't been any updates on that since. I was ready to drop a ridiculous amount of money on 2-3 guitars. I don't get it. Literally trying to hand these companies money and they won't take it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have spent a ridiculous sum of money either.

Last edited:
Bram, what exactly is it you're looking to have built?

I'm an ESP guy, and have a few CS guitars, but I've never ordered one new. An option to consider is finding a small builder make you the guitar. I've worked with a friend who builds guitars on several guitars over the years and have been extremely happy with the results. The only downside to a small builder is resale, so make sure it's something you really want and know the specs suit you. But really, that's advice I'd give anyone looking to have an expensive custom guitar built.

So I have a jackson custom coming in July (supposedly) and now I want an ESP MX custom shop. The problem is you can’t get one in America because Gibson sued them. I’m wondering if I can order one from a Japanese store and have them ship it, or……. Take that trip to Japan I always wanted 😁

I’m wondering if I can order one from a Japanese store and have them ship it, or……. Take that trip to Japan I always wanted 😁

I've never seen proof that Gibson actually sued ESP. Perhaps there have been cease and desist letters sent over the years, who knows?

But the word in the internet is that ESP stopped making MX guitars entirely, even in Japan. I believe that was during the whole "play authentic" / Dean lawsuit time. I haven't seen evidence of a serial number within the last two years that would contradict that. @Leveraged Sellout what's the year on your two?

I've never seen proof that Gibson actually sued ESP. Perhaps there have been cease and desist letters sent over the years, who knows?

But the word in the internet is that ESP stopped making MX guitars entirely, even in Japan. I believe that was during the whole "play authentic" / Dean lawsuit time. I haven't seen evidence of a serial number within the last two years that would contradict that. @Leveraged Sellout what's the year on your two?
I called drum city guitars and they said lawsuit, but that was probabaly just the words they used. AH wel;, we'll see.

I don’t know why I thought it was 5 years ago, it’s been just about 3…time flies when you’re having fun lol

Covered the serial number so as to not get anyone in trouble :2thumbsup:
2199541E-E9B3-4054-A9A8-42B74C246163.jpeg
1D5032CC-D403-457F-A80F-800B2165396C.jpeg

So I have a jackson custom coming in July (supposedly) and now I want an ESP MX custom shop. The problem is you can’t get one in America because Gibson sued them. I’m wondering if I can order one from a Japanese store and have them ship it, or……. Take that trip to Japan I always wanted 😁
Supposedly they will not make an MX anymore even if ordered in Japan. But I think I've seen one or too pop up at a large dealer in France from time to time. So I think it depends on who's asking.

Supposedly they will not make an MX anymore even if ordered in Japan. But I think I've seen one or too pop up at a large dealer in France from time to time. So I think it depends on who's asking.
Well in that case at least Jackson still makes is most popular and well known models. The MX is one of ESP's more legendary models.

Last edited:
So, sadly reporting there are some QC issues with the Jackson that came in. Never had this experience with them so I’m torn on it, but definite fretting and binding issues. Real unfortunate because the guitar looks so bad ass.

Mine arrived with a ding in the body and ungrounded pickups

Dealer took some money off for me instead of having it sent back to the Jackson.

What are you thinking? Can you post pics?

Mine arrived with a ding in the body and ungrounded pickups

Dealer took some money off for me instead of having it sent back to the Jackson.

What are you thinking? Can you post pics?
TBF it was used. Seller is being super cool saying I could send back for full refund. Still sucks though. Was super psyched on this one. Hard to really capture. Feels like the frets are almost sharp and the binding is splitting at some points also being sharp. Going to have my guy look at it and see if reparable.

TBF it was used. Seller is being super cool saying I could send back for full refund. Still sucks though. Was super psyched on this one. Hard to really capture. Feels like the frets are almost sharp and the binding is splitting at some points also being sharp. Going to have my guy look at it and see if reparable.
Damn, that’s a bummer. Hopefully your guy can fixit but did the seller not disclose this issue?

Back