New Wizard Model: Hell Razor

Man....Wizard threads these days be like...

YL0YxV4.jpg

Wizard is the new Cameron or Larry! Except people actually get the amps they order within a few weeks.
you think so? I know they are pricey but I always assumed them to be around 4k. I was only joking about getting a pod for 50 bucks at a pawn shop....Like I said I would love to try one out but it's just more than I want to spend. But If that's your thing rock it baby!!!! I have only ever heard good things about them....and fuck camaron....I can't believe he's not eating out of a straw.

Two rocks are inching up to 7.5-8k, no issues.

Moral of the story - IYKYK.

If wizards don’t sell, Rick will be forced to reduce prices. Supply and demand.
Correct...At the end of the day the market dictates pricing in the retail sector. Rick will get his ask, or he won't....At which point he will discontinue the model, or lower pricing. Perfectly efficient.

The other factor in this, is when you order an amp from Rick he not only builds the amp himself but can do so in a timely manner. 2-4 weeks is pretty standard from what I've heard while other manufacturers take 2-4 months. Sure you're paying more but to have it hand built by 1 dude in a reasonable timeframe is worth a little extra coin imo.

The other factor in this, is when you order an amp from Rick he not only builds the amp himself but can do so in a timely manner. 2-4 weeks is pretty standard from what I've heard while other manufacturers take 2-4 months. Sure you're paying more but to have it hand built by 1 dude in a reasonable timeframe is worth a little extra coin imo.

This. My last MTL I got a few weeks ago took 13 days from order...on a Saturday... to Receipt on a Friday 13 days later.

I’m curious how much Rick spends on transformers for each build. Mercury Magnetics aren’t cheap and I’m confident he over-specs them for the amount of power tubes he’s using. That’s how you get the lack of sag and “punch” everyone talks about.

How much is a IIC+...and that's what, a 35 year old amp? Just saying, not trying to be douchy.

it seems kind of apples to oranges comparing a legendary vintage amp to a new amp, but Id guess the average of a iic+ with an eq that actually sold is probably right around what these are gonna go for new. i get paying a lot of money for a hand built amp with spec'd out parts and all that, i dont think the price is insanely absurd, not insane enough to keep my debit card in my pocket if i heard something that really wow'd me, but at the same time it does seem a little crazy, i really cant think of any amps that are $4.5k new let alone $6.5k.

Did you go 50 watt or a hundred
50w, he happened to have it on the bench when I e-mailed. He said those have the mids I'm looking for. I knew the MC II did but not sure if he was saying the 50w has more mids over the 100w or that he had one unspoken for and needed to sell it. In any case stoked to get the 50w

50w, he happened to have it on the bench when I e-mailed. He said those have the mids I'm looking for. I knew the MC II did but not sure if he was saying the 50w has more mids over the 100w or that he had one unspoken for and needed to sell it. In any case stoked to get the 50w
Nice there is definitely mids in the Mcii. Not sure about the 50 having more compared to the 100 since I've never tried a 50 but I recon like most 50 watters that's probably the case. My 2016 MC 1 100 has the C transformers which are supposed to more closer to Marshall in tone. I believe the current 50 watt ones come with C's as well but don't quote on that.

My tracking says next tuesday Canadian postal to USPS postal I assume? Do you live close to Ontario? I don't out in -Calif

I’m in San Antonio. Think he shipped it on Monday and I got on Friday. You can track on USPS after it clears customs in NY.

The 50w have the C transformers. I asked Rick if he felt the C transformers had more Marshall character to the mids (you know the internet lore) and he said that it was BS. After getting this, I don't think tonally it's all that different from the 100ws I've had with v transformers.

I have found some pretty righteous sounds off the ole line 6 tone library online….pretty good for a 50 dollar pawn shop score and a 5 dollar usb cable. That’s $6045.00 to the good. I would love to try one out though…never had the pleasure of playing a wizard…
I would love to play the Wizard, but everyone is saying no clean channel. I have to have a good clean. I guess I am just one of those old crusty fucks.

I’m in San Antonio. Think he shipped it on Monday and I got on Friday. You can track on USPS after it clears customs in NY.

The 50w have the C transformers. I asked Rick if he felt the C transformers had more Marshall character to the mids (you know the internet lore) and he said that it was BS. After getting this, I don't think tonally it's all that different from the 100ws I've had with v transformers.
Glad you said to ck USPS it stalled on the Canadian tracking because it left Canada! Says it is processing in NY so?? How do any potential customs fees factor in?

is it true that the hell razor is a limited run and not a production model ? Heard that was the case but would like to confirm if folks here know

I had a 1996 MC1 with C tranny’s and I didn’t find its mids to be any better or more Marshall-y than the 2016 MTL I still have with V tranny’s and like you said I think the tonal differences probably had more to do with the model differences. The mids sat higher and was more pronounced in the mids overall, but the quality of tone itself in that range was still equally hollow/bland and smooth/lacking growl to my ears. I think that midrange tone is just Wizard’s Achilles heal (all amps have their own lol), but otherwise not a whole lot else to complain about. No amp has it all. My 1972 SuperLead 100 brings the mids, but shallow low end quality. Imho it’s not internet lore, just I think guys like myself playing them, comparing them to other amps and evaluating what we’re hearing. it’s only internet lore for those silly guys that only judge amps based on clips lol

My Wizard has been a keeper for 6 years now, it’s a phenomenal amp no doubt, but I totally get how that midrange thing can be a dealbreaker for some. When I used my amps for my friend’s re-amping 2 years ago, without me saying anything to influence his opinion, we tried the Wizard and immediately he said “it’s too hollow”, “not the sound I want” (I thought it sounded quite good though myself). Then we tried my 1979 JMP2203 and Naylor and he loved both and said that’s the sound, much more harmonically rich. He’s not a gearhead or even much of a guitarist, but he’s a great composer with very good, discerning ears. Just my long winded 2 cents lol

Last edited:
Channel 1 is one knob... Rhythm Master with a pull boost or bright
Channel 2, from right to left
Gain 1 - with pull to change channels
Gain 2 - with pull boost
Gain 3 - with pull boost
Saturation - With pull boost
Treble - with pull shift
middle
bass
presence - with pull for loop
depth

My eyes are shit. This help clarify your guesses?
400%

IMG_3704.jpeg

I had a 1996 MC1 with C tranny’s and I didn’t find its mids to be any better or more Marshall-y than the 2016 MTL I still have with V tranny’s and like you said I think the tonal differences probably had more to do with the model differences. The mids sat higher and was more pronounced in the mids overall, but the quality of tone itself in that range was still equally hollow/bland and smooth/lacking growl to my ears. I think that midrange tone is just Wizard’s Achilles heal (all amps have their own lol), but otherwise not a whole lot else to complain about. No amp has it all. My 1972 SuperLead 100 brings the mids, but shallow low end quality. Imho I t’s not internet lore, just I think guys like myself playing them, comparing them to other amps and evaluating what we’re hearing. it’s only internet lore for those silly guys that only judge amps based on clips lol

My Wizard has been a keeper for 6 years now, it’s a phenomenal amp no doubt, but I totally get how that midrange thing can be a dealbreaker for some. When I used my amps for my friend’s re-amping 2 years ago, without me saying anything to influence his opinion, we tried the Wizard and immediately he said it’s too hollow, not the sound I want (I though it sounded quite good though myself). Then we tried my 1979 JMP2203 and Naylor and he loved both and said that’s the sound, much more harmonically rich. He’s not a gearhead or even much of a guitarist, but he’s a great composer with very good, discerning ears. Just my long winded 2 cents lol
I would agree with this , having owned a few MTLs . Killer amps yes , nobody get butt-hurt. The midrange sits in an odd place for me though. It does sound and feel amazing when playing alone. Didn’t love it live in a two guitar metal band , I tried them a few times at band practice.

I personally liked the midrange of the MC2 more but ofcousre it wasn’t as pissed off as the MTL. So I think if this new amp has a pissed off voicing but has a bit more mid to upper midrange cut I would like it a lot. There is a certain character to the Wizards thus far that is classic or even vintage in nature . Which is cool but it makes sense for him to put out something that has a more modern voicing.

Back