Some Uber Ultra action

Comes with all JJ preamp and JJ EL34’s. I haven’t changed any preamp tubes yet, I’m sure putting some better ones in will improve the tone though, never like JJ 12ax7’s in anything

Umm… it’s not like there’s a ton of good current production preamp tubes available right now, they’re probably looking for something dependable at a decent price that they can get in big quantities to keep every amp the same. Not sure what people are expecting amp builders to use right now…

Hellz,

Hair +, presence and depth at noon. Start with density maxed out. Channel 1 Uber- Mids at noon or less, treble 9-10 o’clock, bass around 1 or 2 o’clock. Bright off. Gain at 10-11 or so. Hit the boost for more saturation. Tweak from there.

Channel 2 when using Ultra mode, doom, fat dialed to 1 o’clock. TMB similar to channel 1 though you can get away with more highs and bass I would guess. No need for the gain knob to be above 11 o’clock. This is like uber mode boosted.

Can also dial in channel 2 uber mode for a bigger, looser recto-ish vibe, gain low, and hit with a boost. I’d dial the mids back on the amp and let the pedal add the mids.

This amp confused me a bit in the beginning too, but surprised you’re having trouble still after a few hours. Keep the mids and treble in check after you settle on some power amp settings, but that alone can take a bit.
This was great advice, thanks. It got me my first great tones out of the amp. My main error seems to have been setting the Density control far too low. I was also using Focus mode and Tight on the right channel. Putting it in Doom and Fat as you suggested really thickened up that channel and took the gnarly treble spike out of it. It also controlled the feedback better.

I explored the Hair switch but kept trying to keep it in U mode since that was the OG Uber sound. It is the hardest, harshest sound though. Clearly was part of the problem too.

Going to use this as a starting point and make some tweaks and see where it takes me.

I’m curious why the Density control seems to work “backwards” (you want to max it out and then bring it down to taste instead of the other way around) but it definitely works.

I'm learning that the older I get, the more simple I want my amp to be with limited options.

The new Uber has so many new options and things to tweak.. for some guys that's a huge +

I don't find my Ultra to be a very bright amp. Im scratching my head cause when I got mine I literally turned it on , had everything at noon in the Uber mode on channel two and the amp sound great. Not overly noisy , not overly bright. With that being said sometimes not every amp turns out the same. Eventhough I have one and some of you guys got yours its always possible that slight variations in tolerances can add up. If I am having not great results with an amp even if its new I normally do some tube rolling to see what happens. Sometimes power tubes drift or you have a set that isn't really matched close enough for the amp to sound right, it happens.

Could just not be the right amp for some , I would approach this amp with the idea that its prob gonna sound best with guitars tuned at least a little bit lower than standard while playing modern metal stuff. First guitar I grabbed was one with Fishman Fluence Adlers tuned down a whole step. The amp sound killer right away and compared it to some of my other high gainers on my switcher and was impressed again. No offense to the guy who isn't digging the amp but he initially plugged in a Tom Anderson and went right for the crunch mode. See where Im going with this.

I don't find my Ultra to be a very bright amp. Im scratching my head cause when I got mine I literally turned it on , had everything at noon in the Uber mode on channel two and the amp sound great. Not overly noisy , not overly bright. With that being said sometimes not every amp turns out the same. Eventhough I have one and some of you guys got yours its always possible that slight variations in tolerances can add up. If I am having not great results with an amp even if its new I normally do some tube rolling to see what happens. Sometimes power tubes drift or you have a set that isn't really matched close enough for the amp to sound right, it happens.

Could just not be the right amp for some , I would approach this amp with the idea that its prob gonna sound best with guitars tuned at least a little bit lower than standard while playing modern metal stuff. First guitar I grabbed was one with Fishman Fluence Adlers tuned down a whole step. The amp sound killer right away and compared it to some of my other high gainers on my switcher and was impressed again. No offense to the guy who isn't digging the amp but he initially plugged in a Tom Anderson and went right for the crunch mode. See where Im going with this.
I’m the guy who isn’t digging the amp 😂

I agree with you completely. Just don’t think it’s a fit for me. I like my new Granophyre 1.5 much better. Just a better fit for me.

Regarding why I “went right for the crunch mode,” it’s because the amp was gained out in Ultra mode when I first turned it on. So I went for crunch mode to avoid another feedback explosion. Uber mode is actually my favorite mode. But no, I’m not playing modern metal and maybe that’s why it’s not a fit.

Just curious what you were expecting it to be? The Uberschall is a metal amp and the hype on this was that it was even more metal...Ultra Metal! lol
I thought it would be good for the darker hard rock stuff I play, like AiC, Tool, APC etc. I thought it would be a big huge thick sound ideal for choruses.

As far as taming the highs, I avoid the brightest options on the switches, and keep the presence and treble lower than I would on most amps. On most amps I prefer presence very high for maximum aggression, then treble to taste. That doesn’t work on this one...For feedback, I keep the gain as low as possible while still having enough for my sound, especially when using Ultra on channel two. It’s not the easiest amp to tame these qualities on, but it’s totally possible.
Hi.... saw your selling post at the classified.... does this amp has the weirdst Twin jet control on mids treble and presence ?

Seems like people here are getting not a nice reception on the new uberschall.... my concern is that is this amp even really usable at ultra mode when gain at 1 or even 2 ?

Or is just the weird eq control whom people here aren't justified at for this expensive amount of money but at that usable span of eq control just like the Twin jet...

How does the noise at the floor level like ? Is it really that bad when on ultra mode ?

Last edited:
It's definitely geared for "modern" metal more so than any other Uber; detuned, 7 string, djent/prog metal, etc. Swapping tubes makes a huge difference though. Put a quad of JJ E34L's in and it instantly sounded a lot more like the older Ubers. Came with six JJ ECC803s in the preamp, I swapped in what I had in my Rev2 and it sounded way different: Gold Lion in V1, high grade Chinese in V2-V4, and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the V6 PI. Lowered the gain level a bit but definitely made the amp noticeably warmer and quieter with less hiss and feedback. I wouldn't pick this amp for 80's tones or even 90's hard rock, it's just too aggressive for that. Still tweaking it though, some of the knobs/switches make a huge difference, some not so much haha

It's definitely geared for "modern" metal more so than any other Uber; detuned, 7 string, djent/prog metal, etc. Swapping tubes makes a huge difference though. Put a quad of JJ E34L's in and it instantly sounded a lot more like the older Ubers. Came with six JJ ECC803s in the preamp, I swapped in what I had in my Rev2 and it sounded way different: Gold Lion in V1, high grade Chinese in V2-V4, and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the V6 PI. Lowered the gain level a bit but definitely made the amp noticeably warmer and quieter with less hiss and feedback. I wouldn't pick this amp for 80's tones or even 90's hard rock, it's just too aggressive for that. Still tweaking it though, some of the knobs/switches make a huge difference, some not so much haha
Seems like you like it pretty well with the new Uberschall... thanks for chiming in...

I actually just placed a deposit for 1 with Nick at Axepalace... after hearing so many bad encounter... I just wondering if is just the user with different expectations or its indeed the amp itself...

But in any case I just didn't really want a hissing amp lol...

For the JJ preamp I guess that be most about it to quell off the aggressive nature of the amp? I do find the JJ the only preamp tube that works well on the Wizard MC2.... other than Chinese or even tungsol it's gonna be ears piercing...

With low gain probably can try the old nos RCA ? That's my only experience I had with the Wizard which is also aggressively voiced...

Back