Picky About Picks?

My favorites as of the moment...The older Petrucci Trinity and the newer JP Jazz III...generally at least 1.35 mm or more thick..and the Jazz or Jazz III sizes. Was using the 1.5MM Black Ice Planet Waves, but holding onto them when any moisture was invovled was a challenge.

i dont know how you guys play such thick picks, id be pulling the strings off the saddles if i got a little too excited. i like the percussive rebound with thinner picks and thicker strings
I cant my wrist and try to cut through the string like a knife. And honestly, sometimes i try to pull the string out of the saddle :p

i dont know how you guys play such thick picks,

I was an orange Tortex thin pick guy for about 20 years until I discovered Shawn Lane and the Jazz III through him.
It's simple mechanics - thick picks don't bend so they don't take the micro-milli-second to have to return to shape.
Thick pick = FAST leads

How picky are you about your guitar picks? I've heard a few people say they don't change their guitar pick because they think it'll mess up their technique. Personally, I always randomly use 1.5mm to 2.0mm Dunlop and Clayton standard, Wedge, and Jazz picks. Lately I'm into Dunlop Ultex picks which have a great sound but something about the pock attack still throws me off, and I've been using them for several weeks. Anyway there are some guys who always have 2 or 3 picks specifically for strumming, alternate picking, or whatever.

Do you stick to the same one all the time or have some kind of individual system? What kind of pick do you prefer? Does your muscle memory demand consistency with the same pick?
Very. I only use the Pickboy Rainbow Classic Heavy picks. Literally cannot use anything else. I've got boxes of them.

Last edited:
Pickboy Rainbow Classic

You one of them 'woke' guitar players?

pickboy-classic-rainbow-picks-10-pack-11__32052.1657733929.jpg

:D

Anyone else who is kinda bipolar with picks? sometimes I feel better using a jazz 3 and sometimes I want a .71

I was an orange Tortex thin pick guy for about 20 years until I discovered Shawn Lane and the Jazz III through him.
It's simple mechanics - thick picks don't bend so they don't take the micro-milli-second to have to return to shape.
Thick pick = FAST leads

Nah, your pick bending and bouncing a little keeps the string tension consistent so your not pulling on and getting slowed down by your strings wobbling and going sharp if you hit too hard. its like some fat fuck jumping on a trampoline, his fat ass hits the thing and it sinks and rises all slow and inconsistently, my fit swimmers body jumps and i barely make a wave and i can jump up and down fast and consistently with little effort.

I've been stuck on the Dunlop FLow .73s for a couple years now. .73 is much thinner than I've historically preferred, but for whatever reason these picks seem stiffer than normal and it works for me.

It's crazy I can only use a Dunlop 205 Jazztone.
Tried every pick I could. That's the one for me.

Back