Tube amps are apparently dead..... again

No solid state anything even plugged into a 1000W amp will ever sound like 180W of tubes thumping your pants legs and people know it.

Even at low volumes.

Bought one of the first Flextone combos way back when they had the full page ads:
"If we can clone a sheep, why can't we clone an amplifier?"
Tried EVERYTHING digital modeling ever since - most recently a Quad Cortex.
Even at lower volumes it just ain't the same. Gotten to the point that it sounds great!
It just doesn't feel quite right sometimes under the fingers - imo.

I'm having the best (and most practical) luck these days with SS pre-amp pedals
going into a SS rack amp and into a guitar cab.

Current #1 is one of Kyle's pedals. Incredibly versatile.

https://ksramps.com/product/vesta/

Such a stupid question/idea to put forward (coming from a guy who doesn’t mind using modeling for my main amp tones).

Just using this forum as an example, you’ve got guys willing to dish up to $7K for a Mesa head, $5K + 5 years for a Larry amp, those who took chances throwing a few grand at Cameron….when people are still willing to throw cash at them like that, there are still PLENTY of people under that that will be buying them for years to come.

Even if they stopped making them entirely, there’d still be a huge market for them. I can’t stand this youtuber bullshit. I don’t care how much I dig some of these guy’s channels, the second they do the “insert dick here” face they drop in points. IDGAF about algorithms, put out good fucking content and people will watch it. Fuck off with the clickbait bullshit.
I completely agree with you. I hate sellout motherfuckers

I used Amplitube a ton when I was living in a studio Apt after my Divorce ...... it saved my ass .

I actually liked it a lot .... but I did notice that when I did get to my real amp ... I almost struggled to play it ... something was off with the feel ..

I had to readjust to the push pull of tube amp .

Guy mostly needing content for his channel.

That being said. Tube amps cycle in, and out of popularity, just like anything else in music. Before you know it people will be trashing/dumping all these digital boxes, even though they've gotten quite good.

Before you know it people will be trashing/dumping all these digital boxes, even though they've gotten quite good.

there’s about as much chance of that happening as people getting rid of their iPhones and streaming platforms and going back to buying cd’s

If you watch the video and actually listen to it, it is pretty well reasoned and is just really someone processing his observations and trying to make sense of the lay of the land based on the trends and attitudes he sensed in talking to other folks while on a recent tour. I thought it was really interesting...

The title, which is what everyone here seems to be responding too, is really the only thing inflammatory, IMHO. There's nothing wrong with saying this class of tool is absolutely awesome but no longer a necessity for most musicians; and since they are getting more expensive will probably continue to get more niche in the market rather than to dominate it.

There's not any judgement there. I think there is a general acknowledgement that traditional amps, like vinyl records, gasoline powered luxury or sports cars, etc, are cool, will always be somewhat sexy, around, etc... but it is getting to where you could do an entire music career and never really have to use one if you didn't need to at this point (and no one but gear nerds would call you out for toanz) and he's speculating that if those trends cotniue, at some point, that'll make it so they are not necessarily the immediate default but rather a cool luxury only some players partake of...

There are still people buying vinyl. There are still people buying hifi tube stereos. There are people still buying paper books and comics. When you don't have anything to really contribute content wise revert to "tube amps are dying", "pickups don't matter " etc bullshit.

I am the first to admit that the modelers have gotten incredible in terms of tone, response. features and flexibility. I keep a Helix at home for these exact reasons. That said, they still cannot accurately replicate the FEEL of being in the room with a high quality tube amp. Technology may accomplish this at some point, but as far as I'm concerned, they haven't done so yet. Not selling my tube amps anytime soon.
i spent a few days with my son’s helix lt and played it live at his church using his duesy and in ears. it worked, had nice fx, and was very convenient.

but it reminded me of how different digital behaves and feels versus a real amp/fx rig.
the helix’s gain/treble/mid/bass controls on any amp model sure doesn’t sound or respond like any real tube amp gain/tone controls i’ve ever used on a tube amp.

Man at the end of the day it's all what your looking for to get your music across. Some people like dig one device to them all or multiple plug in's and hey if that makes you want to play cool.

I used to have a Kemper actually twice and found I wasn't playing guitar just running through profiles looking for one sound. In the end It wasn't for me. Personally I'm happier with my museum piece tube amps, plug in and go to town.

100% agree that the monthly tube amps is dead vids is just click bait. I'd rather watch Michael Neilsen personally as he doesn't really go into these dramatic sit downs just demos cool gear. Some of these influencers are turning into "Days of our lives".

Even at low volumes.

Bought one of the first Flextone combos way back when they had the full page ads:
"If we can clone a sheep, why can't we clone an amplifier?"
Tried EVERYTHING digital modeling ever since - most recently a Quad Cortex.
Even at lower volumes it just ain't the same. Gotten to the point that it sounds great!
It just doesn't feel quite right sometimes under the fingers - imo.

I'm having the best (and most practical) luck these days with SS pre-amp pedals
going into a SS rack amp and into a guitar cab.

Current #1 is one of Kyle's pedals. Incredibly versatile.

https://ksramps.com/product/vesta/
I love tube amps at low volumes too,Add some boost and eq and get a cool tone

I love tube amps at low volumes too,Add some boost and eq and get a cool tone

Have used both a Fryette Powerstation and Suhr RL in the past.

Why I said practical is that I like to turn my setup on early and leave it on all day so
I can just pick up the guitar whenever the mood hits and it's ready.
Felt guilty leaving glass glowing all day. Even in standby.

The biggest threat to tube amps if home ownership and cost of living, hard to crank any amp in an apartment or your parents house.
All it takes is someone with cool shit (such as the people on this forum) as most kids have never heard tubes in person much less played them. Plug a kid into a superlead or 800 or mark and watch their brain melt.
It’s like saying fleshlights have replaced women because they are cheaper, quieter and more convenient. There a time and place for plugins and models but there’s a lot missing. Same jabronis saying rock is dead, guitar is dead, ect.

Have used both a Fryette Powerstation and Suhr RL in the past.

Why I said practical is that I like to turn my setup on early and leave it on all day so
I can just pick up the guitar whenever the mood hits and it's ready.
Felt guilty leaving glass glowing all day. Even in standby.
Tubes won’t bat an eye at being left on 24/7, it’s cheap components and pcbs that can’t handle the heat

Man at the end of the day it's all what your looking for to get your music across. Some people like dig one device to them all or multiple plug in's and hey if that makes you want to play cool.

I used to have a Kemper actually twice and found I wasn't playing guitar just running through profiles looking for one sound. In the end It wasn't for me. Personally I'm happier with my museum piece tube amps, plug in and go to town.

100% agree that the monthly tube amps is dead vids is just click bait. I'd rather watch Michael Neilsen personally as he doesn't really go into these dramatic sit downs just demos cool gear. Some of these influencers are turning into "Days of our lives".
there is something very unromantic about your noisemaker of choice involving a menu, laptop and scrolling through days of amp and IR options, versus a tube amp 4x12 and some pedals. i’d rather make music than technical decisions. gimme cro magnon any day!

too much of my professional life is wasted on a computer already, making sure my data makes my mac happy and not the other way around.

AI=IR

Back