Guitar techniques you can't do?

I can't do alot of stuff. Most of the 80s techniques mentioned I'm not interested in.
The one that pisses me off, that every 12 year old in GC has mastered.........is chugging the A string while playing chords in between. like Ozzy's I Don't Know or Crazy Train. Brad Gillis , Jake E Lee. They do it so well. Randy Rhoads of course.
Fast alternate picking. Yup, that's never gonna happen either.
I bet David Gilmour can’t either BUT….. we each have an X- factor that might stand out if you can figure which one you do well

Hybrid picking although I am using it during legato runs. One of my teachers turned me on to using it as it wasn't something I was interested in before. Im terrible at it but Im working on it. I'm OK with sweep picking. Really good with alternate picking and gallops etc.

My fretboard navigation is lacking. I can switch positions with pentatonic easily but let's say I'm using a mode of the major scale I always just play the entire scale all the way up 3nps and down but I got a lesson today to work on it.

I plateaud around 17 or 18 years old. And gave up playing really. I mean I occasionally played but never made progress. Started playing heavily again a around 2011 or 12 but just made modest improvements.

Started taking lessons a few years ago and changed my entire way of practicing and approach to learning that has me doing things I never thought possible. Practice slow, chunking, and fucking USING A METRONOME!

I see improvements every week while taking lessons. It also gives me structure and holds me accountable. I would learn solos but bullshit parts I couldn't hit note for note. I don't do that anymore. I also don't value speed over everything else. I try to make each note sound good and when I'm playing, I don't play past my capability except when I'm trying exercises to boost my speed.

I can't play "traditionally", learning scales and what notes are where, etc. I've been trying since 85' and reminds me too much of Math. I just wing it, play by ear, and what sounds good.

I know I'm missing out a bit, not being able to understand all the pieces, but I think it has allowed me to just have fun. I also know that when I'm playing a solo, I'm playing some known scale but just don't know it is a Pharigian 9th interlude with a pulled hamstring and side of fries.

I hold my pick at a backwards pickslanting angle (ala troy Grady) so my string changes on shred runs are opposite to the way most people play them.

It makes everything I play sound weird, but different. A lot of alternate picking stuff I can play, but it sounds completely different.

I think I know what you're referring to and I actually learned like this. Meaning it is slanting up instead of down. Funny thing is I never thought about it until recently lol. Never seemed to bother me though.

Hybrid picking although I am using it during legato runs. One of my teachers turned me on to using it as it wasn't something I was interested in before. Im terrible at it but Im working on it. I'm OK with sweep picking. Really good with alternate picking and gallops etc.

My fretboard navigation is lacking. I can switch positions with pentatonic easily but let's say I'm using a mode of the major scale I always just play the entire scale all the way up 3nps and down but I got a lesson today to work on it.

I plateaud around 17 or 18 years old. And gave up playing really. I mean I occasionally played but never made progress. Started playing heavily again a around 2011 or 12 but just made modest improvements.

Started taking lessons a few years ago and changed my entire way of practicing and approach to learning that has me doing things I never thought possible. Practice slow, chunking, and fucking USING A METRONOME!

I see improvements every week while taking lessons. It also gives me structure and holds me accountable. I would learn solos but bullshit parts I couldn't hit note for note. I don't do that anymore. I also don't value speed over everything else. I try to make each note sound good and when I'm playing, I don't play past my capability except when I'm trying exercises to boost my speed.

Spider_Man_meme.jpg

I started playing when I was 17, had to stop at 19 because I had severe tendonitis, and just never really picked it back up outside of occasionally playing for a few minutes. Started actually playing more consistently in 2012-2013, and just started taking theory lessons because I got tired of being able to play fast without having any idea what the fuck to actually play. And now I'm trying to figure out some practice routines to actually improve some techniques while also incorporating the theory.

I’m a firm believer anyone can play anything with focused practice. So these things we spoke I think are just not fun to focus on . Like I play 8 string but get annoyed with all the slapping and poppy Tosin does now every song . I like first album better before he started that . So that technique just is not funn when I teach it

I know I'm missing out a bit, not being able to understand all the pieces, but I think it has allowed me to just have fun. I also know that when I'm playing a solo, I'm playing some known scale but just don't know it is a Pharigian 9th interlude with a pulled hamstring and side of fries.

:ROFLMAO:

Same here. I know I'm doing all sorts of cool shit that if someone transcribed it it would look pretty amazing all tabbed out.
But I can't start thinking about any of it in real time or I'm dead.

Wish I knew more theory when it comes to coming up with cool chord voicings though.

Last edited:
I think I know what you're referring to and I actually learned like this. Meaning it is slanting up instead of down. Funny thing is I never thought about it until recently lol. Never seemed to bother me though.

It doesn't really matter until you get into string changes on really fast alternate picking runs

Then all of a sudden it becomes hugely important

There’s all kinds of shit I can’t do or can’t do well enough.

Hybrid picking I am very interested in and may take on in the nearish future especially as I want to learn more country style shit.

A big problem I have is the pinky on my fretting hand kind of bends in an unhelpful direction and also always feels like there is a catch in its middle knuckle. It makes it a real struggle to develop it as a useful digit for hammer ons/pull offs which is necessary for all kinds of soloing techniques.

Funny you said this, cause this is exactly the first thing that came to my mind that I cannot do. And I've been playng for 30 years now... Go figure
from age 10 to 18 metallica was my WORLD. i was a super fan. I starting playing guitar when i was 10, and i'm 40 now. So basically those metallica riffs are in my bones. I have a drummer friend who is the same way with neil peart. he was obsessed with rush since he was a little kid, and so he can play rush songs on drums with no effort.

from age 10 to 18 metallica was my WORLD. i was a super fan. I starting playing guitar when i was 10, and i'm 40 now. So basically those metallica riffs are in my bones. I have a drummer friend who is the same way with neil peart. he was obsessed with rush since he was a little kid, and so he can play rush songs on drums with no effort.
Hey, same with me, I'm 40 too but I started playing guitar at about 13 around the same time I got into Metallica and I've been a fan ever since. I still throw on Master Of Puppets once in a while. I learned all my technique from playing those old Metallica tunes, and as you know Hetfield never really uses Pinch Harmonics, so I never bothered to learn that technique properly.

There is techniques I don't use. Stuff like sweeping and tapping. I play mostly funk. So stuff like chicken pickin I learned in the 70's.
Currently working gypsy rest stroke technique.

Master of Puppets came out right when I picked up a guitar. I remember trying to play the slow part on "Sanatarium". I wanted to be able to downpick as fast as James.

Back