New Wizard Model: Hell Razor

Rick delivered an amp to me 13 days after I ordered it last month. Current order was quoted at 2-3 weeks. Larry amps take years longer. Cameron doesn't deliver within any time frame.
Yep, lead times are a massive consideration. My Wizard took about 3 months, and that was during a tough time for parts supply (2021).

I also contacted Larry - he said 3.5 years. This is not a criticism, just facts.

Dumbles (RIP) delivery time was 6 years in the 80s.
I don't think Dumble and Wizard, or even Larry for that matter belong in the same conversation. Very different business model and approach. Nothing about Dumble was about mass producing anything. Very much a "I do what I want, when I want" approach.

The demand is certainly there. Rick just runs an efficient business. Being a skilled technician doesn't mean you have a clue about running a business. In Rick's case, he's highly competent in both areas.

I dont think, He is making all things arround the amp business alone. It is impossible. There are too much wizard amps and cabinets.
Imagine: communication with customers, with suppliers, building amps, sending the amps to customers , development of new products…. It is no one man show at that high output.

I hope it sounds great and delivers the goods as the price indicates.

I know I’ll take a hard pass on one though. Good luck flipping a 7k new production amplifier. At least with the vintage amps that are $$$$ there aren’t anymore being made to devalue it further. Look what happened to the 5150 - it sounded great and was $1600 initially in 2003 money. How much are they worth now on the market still in production?

At that price range I’d expect limited production to maintain the demand and the claimed value. I know I personally couldn’t justify it in one amplifier that barely has a clean channel. Even my Bogner XTC has a blackface fender clean.

I dont think, He is making all things arround the amp business alone. It is impossible. There are too much wizard amps and cabinets.
Imagine: communication with customers, with suppliers, building amps, sending the amps to customers , development of new products…. It is no one man show at that high output.

he doesn’t do any of the cabs, headshells or pedals… just builds the amps. I don’t think his output is all that high given his pricing. There’s a lot because he’s been building them for 30 years. I do think he has someone who helps with some of the grunt work.

Looks like to me....

Channel 1 is one knob... Rhythm Master with a pull boost or bright

Channel 2, from right to left

Gain 1 - with pull to change channels
Gain 2 - with pull boost
Gain 3 - with pull boost
Saturation - With pull boost
Treble - with pull shift
middle
bass
presence - with pull for loop
depth

probably a bright knob or 2 on back.

Something tells me it has a lot of gain! :rock:
3 pull-boosts on the lead channel… jeezuz

I've only had about 30 mins with it, but the Uber has a significantly more "brutal" mid voicing than either of the other two if were talking metal tones (just as previous Ubers did). Unlike older Ubers though, it can get tighter than either of the Mesas without a boost. It has a more "full" sound/fuller dynamics than a Recto/Mark.
Rev C Recto's are pretty dynamic amps as far as high gain goes. All the Mark's from the IIC+ to the VII are fairly compressed though, especially the V... that thing has no dynamics at all.

Official specs posted on Wizard page today.... Prices - $6,295 for 100w, $5,895 for 50w, custom power option versions likely more $
  • Two inputs (high and low sensitivity) ideal for amplifier ganging
  • Foot-Switching Channel Select capabilities take you from vintage clean, to modern high gain, extending the overall bottom end tightness with a Depth control.
    Rhythm Control for tight and in your face clean vintage tones.
    Manual Pull-Boost on the Rhythm Control sets a Global Input Gain Structure simultaneously across both Channels.
    The Lead Channel has 3 separate independently charactered Gain stages and 2 seperate Bright Controls for an unlimited amount of tonal Hi-Gain combinations.
    The Lead Channel also incorporates 3 Pull-Boosts with 2 Boosts being Foot-Switchable
    Added Saturation Control in the Lead section enhance an already agressive high gain experience while the pair of Bright Controls adds color control to 2 independant sections of the Lead Channel.
    A Pull-Shift for Metal Scoop has been added to the Treble control.
    Foot-Switchable, fully bypass, tube buffered Effect Loop

FRONT PANEL :
    Two inputs (high and low sensitivity)
    RHYTHM Control with manual Pull-Global Boost
    LEAD CHANNEL :
    Gain 1 with Pull-Channel Select, manual or Foot-Switchable
    Gain 2 with Pull-Boost, manual or Foot-Switchable
    Gain 3 with Pull-Boost
    Saturation with Pull-Boost, manual or Foot-Switchable
    Lead Master
    Treble with Pull-Shift
    Middle
    Bass
    Presence with Pull-Loop, manual or Foot-Switchable
    Depth

REAR PANEL :
    Lead Bright 1
    Lead Bright 2
    4-8-16 ohm Impedance
    Line Out jack with Line Level Control
    Effect Loop Send and Return Jacks and Controls
    Foot-Switching Matrix - 4 x 1/4" TS connections

POWER OPTIONS :
    E34L powered 50 and 100 watt models
    6L6 powered 50 and 100 watt models

CUSTOM POWER OPTIONS :
    6V6 powered 40 watt modelAL
    KT66 powered 60 and 120 watt models
    KT88 powered 150 watt model
    KT120 powered 200 watt models

Black Lexan Control Panels with White Graphics
    Dimensions: 27" Wide - 10.5" High - 9" Deep
    Weight: 44 Pound / 50 watt or 56 Pound / 100 watt or 64 Pound 200 watt

Official specs posted on Wizard page today.... Prices - $6,295 for 100w, $5,895 for 50w, custom power option versions likely more $
  • Two inputs (high and low sensitivity) ideal for amplifier ganging
  • Foot-Switching Channel Select capabilities take you from vintage clean, to modern high gain, extending the overall bottom end tightness with a Depth control.
    Rhythm Control for tight and in your face clean vintage tones.
    Manual Pull-Boost on the Rhythm Control sets a Global Input Gain Structure simultaneously across both Channels.
    The Lead Channel has 3 separate independently charactered Gain stages and 2 seperate Bright Controls for an unlimited amount of tonal Hi-Gain combinations.
    The Lead Channel also incorporates 3 Pull-Boosts with 2 Boosts being Foot-Switchable
    Added Saturation Control in the Lead section enhance an already agressive high gain experience while the pair of Bright Controls adds color control to 2 independant sections of the Lead Channel.
    A Pull-Shift for Metal Scoop has been added to the Treble control.
    Foot-Switchable, fully bypass, tube buffered Effect Loop

FRONT PANEL :
    Two inputs (high and low sensitivity)
    RHYTHM Control with manual Pull-Global Boost
    LEAD CHANNEL :
    Gain 1 with Pull-Channel Select, manual or Foot-Switchable
    Gain 2 with Pull-Boost, manual or Foot-Switchable
    Gain 3 with Pull-Boost
    Saturation with Pull-Boost, manual or Foot-Switchable
    Lead Master
    Treble with Pull-Shift
    Middle
    Bass
    Presence with Pull-Loop, manual or Foot-Switchable
    Depth

REAR PANEL :
    Lead Bright 1
    Lead Bright 2
    4-8-16 ohm Impedance
    Line Out jack with Line Level Control
    Effect Loop Send and Return Jacks and Controls
    Foot-Switching Matrix - 4 x 1/4" TS connections

POWER OPTIONS :
    E34L powered 50 and 100 watt models
    6L6 powered 50 and 100 watt models

CUSTOM POWER OPTIONS :
    6V6 powered 40 watt modelAL
    KT66 powered 60 and 120 watt models
    KT88 powered 150 watt model
    KT120 powered 200 watt models

Black Lexan Control Panels with White Graphics
    Dimensions: 27" Wide - 10.5" High - 9" Deep
    Weight: 44 Pound / 50 watt or 56 Pound / 100 watt or 64 Pound 200 watt
Interesting.

‘Foot-switching channel select capabilities take you from vintage clean to modern high gain, extending the overall bottom end tightness with a Depth control.’ - is how the MTL is described on his website too

Sounds like this is a MTL on steroids for the most part, hopefully it’s voice/gain character/tightness stands out

Back