Pick Up suggestions for an SG

A5 for both neck and bridge.
That's what's interesting about them.

DiMarzio don't normally use A2's because they claim they're unstable. I think that's silly, but that's what they say. (They still use them on some single coils, though, so I say that's a double standard).

So what they did with the 36th Anni is use the virtual vintage thing where they add "phantom slugs" to raise the pickup's inductance, hence making it darker. They also do the airbucker thing where they creat gaps between the magnet and the polepieces, so they weaken the magnetic field. So it's technically a full-charged A5 voiced to sound like something else.

Last edited:
Consider going Seymour Duncan and just get a JB. You play a Mark series, right? You'll like it. Trust me.

Consider going Seymour Duncan and just get a JB. You play a Mark series, right? You'll like it. Trust me.
I've got JB's in all my other humbucker equipped guitars ... except for one ... and that has a Dimarzio Super Distortion in it .

Best thing I did for my SG was the Motor City Detroiter. Went thru a bunch before that one. It's a perfect fit. I don't know what Dimarzio makes that's like that. Something hot PAF with A5 mag, around 9-10k.

Give the Rewind PAF-1 pickups with A4 magnets a listen on YouTube. I have them in one of my Les Pauls and always thought they’d sound great with an SG too. They are at the hotter end of PAF style pickups but still low wind compared to many. Tight bass, punchy mids and howl when driven. I have a Rewind Low Wind A2 in the bridge position of another LP - more airy, less tight but still with a great mid range voicing (it growls where the A4 howls). I went with a Rewind Bloomfield A3 in the neck of that guitar - they have great bass string clarity and a really nice “woody” quality to the tone.

Good old jb for me
D72EBF84-270A-4896-ABA2-2F030D1D0515.jpeg

I also like the 36th Anni’s and the price is nice too. Doesn’t he make an even more PAFy PAF than those?

Edit..Just looked at the Dimarzio website. The price is just OK…lol last time I got them one pickup was 60 something. Then I realized how long it’s been since I bought a new pickup.

I also like the 36th Anni’s and the price is nice too. Doesn’t he make an even more PAFy PAF than those?
I guess the new PAF 59's?

The description on those says they're sactter-wound, though. PAF's weren't.

But not really. The original PAF's they made had a brass baseplate and were relatively overwound.

I guess if you want "traditional" PAF and don't want to spend boutique prices while still getting a quality product, you're better off with Duncan there. I think the Duncan '59's are underrated and can very well stand up to the boutique-y PAF's.

But I still feel the non-traditionally built DiMarzios can sound nice and vintage-y.

Back