Underrated tones and songs right here !

Can't say I'm a fan of LOG of Mastodon tones, but each to his own. But I will give them points for the fact that they're not going for the usual boosted 5150 tone everyone is going for! Not that that tone is bad, though! :)

But for me, speaking of 5150:

Those chuggs!

Boosted 5150 tones are kinda bad though. They're generic, and so is Andy Sneap's production/engineering work.

Oh, that goes without saying. But I don't think those are underrated, IMO. That's pretty much Carcass' Black Album in a sense, no? Not saying that as a negative. But rather, in the production aspect.
I agree . But there’s still people that don’t know Carcass at all is what I meant

I actually think the "secret" to that tone is the Krank cab they profiled. AFAIK, it was 16 ohm V30's in there, if Andy Sneap kept the impedance of the original cab. At least to me, that's what it sounds like, and that's where I would think the grind comes from as opposed to the usual 5150 into Mesa cab deal. But that's just me assuming, TBH. I do know it was a Kemper profile of a 5150III into a Krank cab. And that Bill Steer uses Duncan '59's. But that's about all I really know.

Heartwork and Necroticism are my fave tones. The frankencab for the Heartwork album played a big part.
Bill is a riff king. His lead work is fantastic too.

This was his gear in 2018 for 'Torn Arteries'.

NKOFZpk.png

Heartwork and Necroticism are my fave tones. The frankencab for the Heartwork album played a big part.
Bill is a riff king. His lead work is fantastic too.

This was his gear in 2018 for 'Torn Arteries'.

NKOFZpk.png
Heartwork is in a different league altogether. But even if it was all Kemper, I still like the mix in Surgical better than Torn Arteries, personally.

JMO.

Huh, they had the amps there and only used a Kemper profile of the 5150III?

The mix on SS is heaps better for sure. Torn has the modern style bloated 'too much stuffed in' mix these days. Less is more

Boosted 5150 tones are kinda bad though. They're generic, and so is Andy Sneap's production/engineering work.
I agree to an extent. But to me, Dead Heart in a Dead World sounds NOTHING like Surgical Steel or The Gathering.

I like Andy's tones, personally. But my favorite from him aren't usually 5150. One of my favorite is Shadows Are Security, but even if it's from the same era and more or less style of music, it's the complete opposite of The End of Heartache, which I do like, but to me, isn't as be-all-end-all as everyone says it is.

But I do agree with you. The standard OD808-5150-Recto cab tones get stale after a while. But there's many ways you can dial those in too. rEVOLVEr (not an Andy mix), for example, sounds nothing like The Poison. At least IMO.

I guess we're about to get into the mids debate again, LOL. We all like what we like, so that's totally respectable. I didn't mean to say the LOG tone was bad. I particularly like the drum tone they have going on, but I've never dug those guitars. I will admit, though, the way they remixed that record was such an improvement over the original! I particularly like how some of the guitar "thinness" (or at least that's how I perceive it) lets the bass tone sound so menacing and the drums so big.

Last edited:
I was gonna say nah but after comparing them I hear what you're talking about . Pretty creative riff borrowing from the guys in Posion
yeah I was learning "all in the name of" for a band I was in and I started playing it and mid riff everyone stopped playing along and I stopped and then just played a Rhoads riff from Dee and I was like, wait a minute .. combined the 2 and bam Unskinny Bop hahahaha

I agree to an extent. But to me, Dead Heart in a Dead World sounds NOTHING like Surgical Steel or The Gathering.

I like Andy's tones, personally. But my favorite from him aren't usually 5150. One of my favorite is Shadows Are Security, but even if it's from the same era and more or less style of music, it's the complete opposite of The End of Heartache, which I do like, but to me, isn't as be-all-end-all as everyone says it is.

But I do agree with you. The standard OD808-5150-Recto cab tones get stale after a while. But there's many ways you can dial those in too. rEVOLVEr (not an Andy mix), for example, sounds nothing like The Poison. At least IMO.

I guess we're about to get into the mids debate again, LOL. We all like what we like, so that's totally respectable. I didn't mean to say the LOG tone was bad. I particularly like the drum tone they have going on, but I've never dug those guitars. I will admit, though, the way they remixed that record was such an improvement over the original! I particularly like how some of the guitar "thinness" (or at least that's how I perceive it) lets the bass tone sound so menacing and the drums so big.
I think for thrash metal like LOG having a tone that is perhaps a little thinner benefits the music a bit, cause it's usually always a little more defined and clear sounding vs a fat wall of sound recto tone for example. The guitars would sound kinda shitty like that. I think only more simple music sounds good with really fat sounding guitars, like AIC. Technical thrash needs to be surgical and precise.

I think out of all of Lamb Of God's catalogue "As The Palaces Burn" has my favorite guitar tone of theirs, which was recorded with a Mark IV and a Framus Cobra. Their latest album Omens sounds pretty good too, and they took a different route with it... I believe they used a Mesa Badlander. It's got that recto grind, but a lot tighter than a typical recto.

I think for thrash metal like LOG having a tone that is perhaps a little thinner benefits the music a bit, cause it's usually always a little more defined and clear sounding vs a fat wall of sound recto tone for example. The guitars would sound kinda shitty like that. I think only more simple music sounds good with really fat sounding guitars, like AIC. Technical thrash needs to be surgical and precise.

I think out of all of Lamb Of God's catalogue "As The Palaces Burn" has my favorite guitar tone of theirs, which was recorded with a Mark IV and a Framus Cobra. Their latest album Omens sounds pretty good too, and they took a different route with it... I believe they used a Mesa Badlander. It's got that recto grind, but a lot tighter than a typical recto.
I agree. You're right. The way their music is a bit more busy and fast-paced certainly doesn't lean itself to a huge thumping low-end.

I do like how they remixed that album a lot, though. The OG was very underwhelming to me. Like a really tight band recording on a budget. Except it was not a budget recording.

I'm not a huge LOG fan. I used to really like Ashes and As the Palaces, but lost track of them after. They're cool. They seem to be doing their own thing as opposed to going for the usual trend in metal. I just don't bond with their stuff nowadays, TBH.

I love their tones . Fat as fuck on track 2 on wrath at the breakdown . Mark v mark iv mix is fat af

I agree. You're right. The way their music is a bit more busy and fast-paced certainly doesn't lean itself to a huge thumping low-end.

I do like how they remixed that album a lot, though. The OG was very underwhelming to me. Like a really tight band recording on a budget. Except it was not a budget recording.

I'm not a huge LOG fan. I used to really like Ashes and As the Palaces, but lost track of them after. They're cool. They seem to be doing their own thing as opposed to going for the usual trend in metal. I just don't bond with their stuff nowadays, TBH.
In Your words has a fat tone breakdown

Back