Do people not know how to haggle anymore?

Im guilty of whats your best price shipped because I dont want to insult u with my Low ball offer.
Yeah I don't feel great about making low offers either, it can feel a little rude.

If it's unclear if the price is fixed or not I might message first and simply ask is the 'price firm or negotiable'? If they say firm, little time has been wasted. If the latter, my next message is the highest I will pay, and I'll stick to it. Avoids the time-consuming back and forths - it's just a take it or leave it offer.

Works well with most guys. If they get annoyed that I even asked about it being negotiable, it's a clear sign it's not a seller I want to deal with at all.

There's a local guy selling his 1995 G&L ASAT Classic with a case. It looks good but he had it at 2k for who knows how long with no takers, so he dropped it to $1750. In the last day or two he's dropped it to $1600 so I decide to message to see how motivated he is. He tells me he's bought and sold a lot of guitars and knows how to price them. I tell him typically G&Ls sell for $900-1200 on Reverb all day, and that's with Reverb fees tacked on so the price has to be a little higher. If he's willing to negotiate I'd be interested, but I can't pay $1600. Then he proceeds to tell me these guitars go for over $2000, so I asked him if they sell for over $2000, why can't you sell yours at $1600? He gave me the ol' thumbs up emoji, then says dude, you never even made an offer. I was prepared to make him an offer, but he doesn't seem too willing to listen to someone with cash in hand. I can't fault the guy, if you believe your guitar is worth that, then by all means ask whatever you want, but you can't tell people the guitars sell for way more and are worth it when yours hasn't moved and you've had to drop the price.

People get wayyy too offended when negotiating. I'm always prepared to go under my asking price. I never get offended, even on low ball offers.
All you have to do is decline.

I had one guy get all bent out of shape. He listed an Item, we negotiated a price, then he ghosted me. Later I found it relisted at a higher price.
I renegotiated (at a higher price) we met up. I asked him once more if he would go $50 lower, he flipped out, and started loading back up :hys:

Most of my guitar collection was purchased from pawnshops around the area.
Back in the 80’s and 90’s I found all kinds of good deals in pawnshops. Pre internet. Now they know what they have.
Perhaps not.

I don't want to have to talk anyone into selling me something. Ill make an offer of what I'm willing to pay, I don't make a second one. Unless something is a one off custom, there's always another one, so it's not worth the time.

Same with selling. I list at what I want for the item. I don't mind folks making offers but I dont spend much time on back and forth.
People get emotional when selling gear—less words and direct to the dollar offer is always the best route. Sometimes it takes a few days but I have real good luck w/Craigslist. OP sounds like he needed to just make an offer.

People get wayyy too offended when negotiating. I'm always prepared to go under my asking price. I never get offended, even on low ball offers.
All you have to do is decline.

I had one guy get all bent out of shape. He listed an Item, we negotiated a price, then he ghosted me. Later I found it relisted at a higher price.
I renegotiated (at a higher price) we met up. I asked him once more if he would go $50 lower, he flipped out, and started loading back up :hys:
I’m with the guy there—once you agree on a deal you agree on a deal.

Nope because you did not get the see the item in person yet. People tend to take only the most flattering pictures.
I think that's fair if you notice something they didn't mention in the ad or discuss with you, but if you agreed to a price before meeting, then show up and try to negotiate more for no reason, I'd be annoyed, too.

I think that's fair if you notice something they didn't mention in the ad or discuss with you, but if you agreed to a price before meeting, then show up and try to negotiate more for no reason, I'd be annoyed, too.

I honestly don't see the problem with one last negotiation attempt after seeing it in person. Only thing I would think is a problem is if they clearly refuse to buy unless you go lower, and wasted your time.

A simple no, I'm firm on the original negotiated price is all that is needed. Both parties have made a time investment, so I doubt the buyer just leaves because you wont go one step lower.

BTW, almost always with used gear there will be something not mentioned. The example I gave with the guy that freaked out on me, there was a sizable gash in the tolex on this cab, that had been covered up.

Last edited:
Pawnshops have crazy deals once in a while.
I purchased what my local pawn shop thought was a chinese fake EVH wolfgang special last year. they had it for $250 and I haggled them down to 220 out the door. I got home and researched the serial number and a few other sources and came to the determination that I had a 2012 MIJ EVH Wolfgang Special valued at $1500 on a good day.

Deal of the century. the owner is a friend of mine, so I did tell him and offer it back as a gesture of our long-standing business and friend relationship. he said no. they had 150 in the guitar, so they still turned a profit. Now, when he has a questionable guitar, he will get a hold of me to verify its authenticity.

I purchased what my local pawn shop thought was a chinese fake EVH wolfgang special last year. they had it for $250 and I haggled them down to 220 out the door. I got home and researched the serial number and a few other sources and came to the determination that I had a 2012 MIJ EVH Wolfgang Special valued at $1500 on a good day.

Deal of the century. the owner is a friend of mine, so I did tell him and offer it back as a gesture of our long-standing business and friend relationship. he said no. they had 150 in the guitar, so they still turned a profit. Now, when he has a questionable guitar, he will get a hold of me to verify its authenticity.
There’s still amazing deals to be found in pawnshops.

I’ve myself have found CRAZY scores over the last few years.

My buddy who lives in San Antonio found a ‘69 Fender Tele for $1200 and is valued at about $8500.

About a month ago he scored a ‘48 Martin D-18 for about 2K , and is valued at about $17k

The deals are out there, you just have to hunt them down.

There’s still amazing deals to be found in pawnshops.

I’ve myself have found CRAZY scores over the last few years.

My buddy who lives in San Antonio found a ‘69 Fender Tele for $1200 and is valued at about $8500.

About a month ago he scored a ‘48 Martin D-18 for about 2K , and is valued at about $17k

The deals are out there, you just have to hunt them down.
the only other deal like that I have ever come across was a mom and pop shop sold me the HOLY GRAIL Kramer for $350 about 15 years ago. I also bought a brand new Yairi with a small dent in the body so the shop sold it as damaged for $75

I go to a lot of pawn shops and resale places. Mostly on the search for Vinyl and Kiss and NWOBHM memorabilia. I always check out the music gear section. scored a lot of old school pedals once for $200 and it was all vintage. Ibanez tube scream, 80's Boss pedals.

it is out there if you take the time to look.

this is my latest find

ps find.jpg

In the old days, people would call or email about the gear advertised and then make an offer. Pretty normal, logical stuff.

In more recent years, I'm getting a lot of 'what's your best price' messages. I can't think of a lamer or dumber negotiation tactic. They don't want to make an offer, so they're essentially asking you to haggle with yourself on their behalf.

I used to be polite about it, but now respond with 'the best price for me is the asking price, the best price for you is not for me to figure out'.

This is not really in response to the OP, just a little rant.

I get that a lot and have never been rude even though I've always had the urge. Usually I'll just drop it $25-50 if it's less than $2k.

Time wasting or not aside - it really just seems like OP and the other guy have different types of haggling styles. OP wants a little foreplay before he says a number. He first wants to know if the seller is willing to negotiate and also how much he wants to negotiate. He also wants to preface all that with comps to other theoretical pieces of gear for sale. The seller is only interested in someone making an actual offer and anything else is just messages from a guy who is just going to ghost after you reply anyway.

Time wasting or not aside - it really just seems like OP and the other guy have different types of haggling styles. OP wants a little foreplay before he says a number. He first wants to know if the seller is willing to negotiate and also how much he wants to negotiate. He also wants to preface all that with comps to other theoretical pieces of gear for sale. The seller is only interested in someone making an actual offer and anything else is just messages from a guy who is just going to ghost after you reply anyway.
I agree and I think the issue is trying to negotiate with someone priced well over market in the first place. That price instantly tells you the type of person you're dealing with

Back