What speakers do you like with your Diezel?

Yes, completely different amps.
I owned a Herbert MK1 back in 2007, and have been thinking of getting a Mk III. When I ask, some say the two are very similar tonally and can be dialed in to sound practically identical. Others respond as you have. Would you please describe the differences in tone and response? Would be very helpful to me. Thank You.

My favorites are in no particular order:

1.) Diezel 4x12 frontloaded with Celestion G12-65 Heritage
2.) Diezel 4x12 frontloaded with Celestion Vintage 30 from 1996
3.) Diezel 4x12 rearloaded with Tone Tubby Ceramic 40/40

Number 3 works best with the older Diezel amps (Herbert Mk1, Einstein and VH4) while I prefer number 1 and 2 with more recent Diezel amps (Hagen, Herbert Mk3, D-Moll, VHX).
Ah-ha! Is it the Tone Tubby Ceramic 4040 in my Diezel "Hemp Cone" cab then? I knew they were Tone Tubbies, but didn't know exactly which ones.

So to add, I went from my old Marshall G12T-75 cab to a Diezel V30 frontload 2x12. That was my main cab with my Herbert for a good long while. Then I bough a Hagen 2nd hand and that came with the 2x12 Hemp cone. Since then I've largely been using that instead. So I guess that's probably my favourite currently. Now I know those are 40W speakers (so 80W cab) I guess I should be a little careful how hard I run that Hagen into it! And I should be even more careful with the louder Herbert!

I also have an old US-made 4x12 rearload with V30 too. Sounds ok but it's ex-hire and makes various rattles and noises, so may be a bit shot! Maybe it needs a new speaker or 2 and a few extra screws! 😂

I owned a Herbert MK1 back in 2007, and have been thinking of getting a Mk III. When I ask, some say the two are very similar tonally and can be dialed in to sound practically identical. Others respond as you have. Would you please describe the differences in tone and response? Would be very helpful to me. Thank You.
I kept both because they are very different. Same dna . It’s almost like a mark iv comes from a 2c+ just redone

Definitely using a few variations of v30s . I just never like other speakers
image.jpg

Thanks brother...Which do you prefer for metal rhythm playing MRK I or III?
My favorite is is the 2008 mk 1 . I love it like my Hermansons and Wizards even . But if you want to get get tighter even so mk 3 is for you . I think Herberts are the best diezels still . Just every frequency is so perfect

So, I thought the Fane F70 was very adequate, seemed to fit whatever was run through it, nothing sounded unpleasant.

However, for my VHX I think I have settled on a Redback/Creamback (H75) 2x12, it has risen above 2x K100s and only gets better with volume.

I have a hard time believing only a .25in diameter voice coil difference doubles the power for the H150 vs H75… the H75 must be underrated and capable of at least 100W dissipation. I compared it (and spec sheets) to my 120W Man O War — which, in my revised opinion, is a pretty bright and decent companion to a Diezel — and it is a very noticeably heavier magnet (same type), same voice coil diameter and much better cone material, just better build overall.

Swamp Thang is still a turd to me.

Celestions: 75 and the old 65 Version (for scooped master of puppets Tone) in Marshall cabs, V30 in old 280 Watt Mesa or Marshall cabs and the old grey engl cabs.. 200w ev 12l in a Mesa Thiele Box just for shaking your Body … 65 creambacks for more Diezel Creamy mids

So, I thought the Fane F70 was very adequate, seemed to fit whatever was run through it, nothing sounded unpleasant.

However, for my VHX I think I have settled on a Redback/Creamback (H75) 2x12, it has risen above 2x K100s and only gets better with volume.

I have a hard time believing only a .25in diameter voice coil difference doubles the power for the H150 vs H75… the H75 must be underrated and capable of at least 100W dissipation. I compared it (and spec sheets) to my 120W Man O War — which, in my revised opinion, is a pretty bright and decent companion to a Diezel — and it is a very noticeably heavier magnet (same type), same voice coil diameter and much better cone material, just better build overall.

Swamp Thang is still a turd to me.
Are you liking the Redback/H75? I have two Redbacks in my Bogner 212 and Redback/CL80 in my Stone Age 212, but I am not a 212 fan so I mostly use my 412 cabs. Right now my Bogner 412 is Redback/M65 and Splawn 412 is Redback/V30(UK). I love the Redback/V30 blend.

I am loving the Redback/V30 in my Splawn 412 - straight front. My Bogner is a tilt front baffle so it sounds a bit different and is larger than the Splawn. I wonder if it be silly to have Redback/V30 in this one too? Same speakers in different cabs.
I also thought of all Redbacks in the Bogner.

Now, you have me thinking about Redback/H75 for my Bogner.

Are you liking the Redback/H75? I have two Redbacks in my Bogner 212 and Redback/CL80 in my Stone Age 212, but I am not a 212 fan so I mostly use my 412 cabs. Right now my Bogner 412 is Redback/M65 and Splawn 412 is Redback/V30(UK). I love the Redback/V30 blend.

I am loving the Redback/V30 in my Splawn 412 - straight front. My Bogner is a tilt front baffle so it sounds a bit different and is larger than the Splawn. I wonder if it be silly to have Redback/V30 in this one too? Same speakers in different cabs.
I also thought of all Redbacks in the Bogner.

Now, you have me thinking about Redback/H75 for my Bogner.
I am definitely liking the redback/H75. They may sound good in the Bogner — I do know the FLK Diezel 2x12 sounds better than my cheap oversized with K100s.

I would only go H75 if it’s got the characteristics you want over the V30. Barefaced Audio has the best comparisons of the creambacks vs V30 IMO on YouTube.

Anyone ever try the fl 212 Diezel cab with G12's? I'm afraid it might be too middy and tight.
All my cabs are rear loaded and just looking to experiment a bit. I have a Hagen.

Anyone ever try the fl 212 Diezel cab with G12's? I'm afraid it might be too middy and tight.
All my cabs are rear loaded and just looking to experiment a bit. I have a Hagen.
I have the FL212 with V30s and have been very impressed with it so far with my Hagen. I’ve only had rear loaded cabs until now.

I’m not usually a fan of the Chinese V30’s but they sound great in the Diezel cab. Having said that, I've just swapped them out with Mesa V30’s and will be testing it tomorrow.

I might try the K100’s in the future as I’ve been told they are a great match with the Hagen in the FL cabs. If I could find another FL212 with the K100’s I think it would be a good to combine them or alternate between them.

After hearing my VH4 through all the cabs in my signature, the best all around IMO was Mesa Recto with V30s. I'm looking to take a bare Recto 4x12 and in an x pattern use my 2 EV black shadows and 2 G12 Century NXT for a killer combo. Black shadows mic'd for all solo's and NXT for everything else.

Mesa cabs and Diezel amps do sound great together!

I swapped out the Diezel FL 2x12 with the Mesa T4416 V30’s and really couldn’t be happier with it now. The thicker low mids work well with the Hagen. Channel 4 is getting more use as a result.

I’m keeping the Mesa rear loaded 2x12 as it’s good to have options. I haven’t tried both cabs together yet but think that’ll be a sweet mix too.

Just waiting on the Hagen foot switch now and the Hagen rig will be complete. Best purchase I’ve made in years!

I've done a bunch of speaker swapping. I tend to play my Hagen out of two cabs at the same time; a Splawn straight 412 with H75s on top and Weber Silver Wolves on the bottom and an Emperor 412 with V30s and Redbacks X patterned.

Herbert MK3 I've since re-imagined as a doom amp and play it out of an Orange slanted PPC412 with Swamp Thangs on the bottom and Weber Silverwolves on top. This actually reignited my love for the Herbert after being bored with it.

Back