Post yer Charvel / Jackson

Does a Grover Jackson era washburn count? As far as I can tell, this was a NAMM guitar. not many around
WASHBURN MG.jpg

All are cool but that 84 tickles me in all the right places wow 🔥

It has hands-down the very best neck I've ever played on a guitar. It's not just a looker, though the solid flame maple body is very pretty. It was my main guitar for about 10 years and then I retired it to home/studio ..... nearly 20 years ago. Dear lord do I feel old saying that!

It has hands-down the very best neck I've ever played on a guitar. It's not just a looker, though the solid flame maple body is very pretty. It was my main guitar for about 10 years and then I retired it to home/studio ..... nearly 20 years ago. Dear lord do I feel old saying that!
Is that the model Steve Vai played in the movie crossroads? I gotta get one now!!

Is that the model Steve Vai played in the movie crossroads? I gotta get one now!!

No. I'm pretty sure that was an '86 Jackson, not a Charvel. It also looks to be a solid paint job, so probably poplar or alder body, and a different electronics setup. (Just looked it up.) Mine came as a trad strat trem, later changed to Floyd. When I got it, it had part of a cig pack as a shim at the neck to line it up with the higher Floyd mounting. Someone before me had also installed EMG's, which had a disconnect switch added, that you can see. I also thought about adding an internal boost or kill switch, but instead it's been disconnected since I bought the guitar. lol

Those necks were all hand worked, so everyone of them is different. They're wonderful instruments, but aren't uniform enough to say anything universal about them. My Jackson has a different neck, though still a great neck - biggest slab of rosewood I've seen - it's a dark sounding strat. I put some Bardens in it and use it as my "strat" - closest thing I have to one. It sounds great for bluesy stuff.

I believe it. Those were some special guitars. I’m about to turn 53 (how?!) but mentally I’m about 16 at the most. I just came out of the studio where I’m recording a new song that’s sort of a cross between White Lion and Def Leppard so it‘s still 1987 to me baby!

Back