Right hand slowing down, left palm swelling up

Thanks, guys. I turn 42 this year. Wake up with my hands aching most days. I'm going to try the carnivore/keto diet things and see my doctor about getting some anti-inflammatory medicine.

Doesn't help that I have a job in front of a computer where I'm typing or using a mouse all the time. Sitting with your hands extended in front of you is one of the worst/weirdest kinds of postures possible.

But most of all. going to stop playing guitar for a week or two and see if it helps. I can't even hold my drumsticks anymore, after playing for a bit, my hands just start to seize up and start paining.

Have a couple of amps coming in soon (I hope). Maybe that'll be my miracle cure, lol
Also vitamin d3 5000 IU with k2 90 mcg daily with food will work wonders for almost everything health wise.

Thanks, guys. I turn 42 this year. Wake up with my hands aching most days. I'm going to try the carnivore/keto diet things and see my doctor about getting some anti-inflammatory medicine.

Doesn't help that I have a job in front of a computer where I'm typing or using a mouse all the time. Sitting with your hands extended in front of you is one of the worst/weirdest kinds of postures possible.

But most of all. going to stop playing guitar for a week or two and see if it helps. I can't even hold my drumsticks anymore, after playing for a bit, my hands just start to seize up and start paining.

Have a couple of amps coming in soon (I hope). Maybe that'll be my miracle cure, lol
Try to solve your problems without pharmacy. Drugs only act against the symptoms, but not the cause.

Look into your eating habits, maybe there’s some stuff you react to? Carnivore diet may help or not, in some cases arthritis is facilitated by eating too much meat. Only way to find out is, to try for yourself.

There is a lot of stuff to control these „civilization diseases“ only by changing your diet. You can do detox treatments or medical fasting to get rid of pro-inflammatory factors in your body. Important is, the earlier you start, the better your body can get back to its normal functions.

Edit: look if your body is supplied with all nutrients it needs like vitamins etc. Vitamin D actually acts more like a hormone as a vitamin and most people have a too low level

Something to be said for a good deep tissue massage. Stretching and some targeted exercise help alot too. My muscles get so tight around my shoulders that it can cause my arms to go numb while playing.

Talk to you doctor, figure out is it arthritis, sore muscles, or a pinched nerve.

FWIW, I used to have horrible joint pain, carpel tunnel issues and spent about 10 years with a kinked neck 4-5 days of the week. Growing up I’d hear people say “My hands/wrist hurt so bad I can’t play anymore” and I always blew it off as hyperbole until it happened to me in my mid-late 30’s.

I went 100% plant-based/whole foods only and in 3 months everything was gone. Not ‘it got a little better‘, it was gone. I did that for 5 years and it was the healthiest I‘ve ever been, my doctor shit his pants looking at the change in my blood work and had me write down what I was eating for meals to give as a suggestion to his other patients. Then I stopped, like over night I went back to eating whatever the hell I wanted and it took a while, but after about 9-12 months the pains came back.

Dairy and red meat do it to me without fail, so I cut that out again. I’m not super strict about my diet, but keep it pretty consistent. Protein oatmeal in the morning, nuts to snack on in the day, salad with a bunch of quinoa/grilled chicken for lunch then brown rice, veggies and grilled chicken for dinner. Usually once a week I’ll get something terrible for me, usually enchiladas from a killer Mexican joint or fast food.

And I actually HAVE to warm up before I play now. I think that’d happen regardless of how strict I became just due to the amount I use my hands.

Every drummer I’ve ever played with has eventually developed tendinitis (which leads to carpal tunnel if not addressed). The doctor has them take several weeks off, and then they have to follow a strict routine of stretching exercises for 10-15 mins before playing every day. Works every time. So if you play guitar, work at a desk, and play drums, you might be getting this same issue.

Something to be said for a good deep tissue massage. Stretching and some targeted exercise help alot too. My muscles get so tight around my shoulders that it can cause my arms to go numb while playing.

Talk to you doctor, figure out is it arthritis, sore muscles, or a pinched nerve.

Not sure what it is, I was just typing a message a while ago and my triceps were hurting something fierce. A recent blood test showed that my triglycerides were out of the normal range and my cholesterol was getting out of control. Maybe these are just symptoms of getting fat haha

FWIW, I used to have horrible joint pain, carpel tunnel issues and spent about 10 years with a kinked neck 4-5 days of the week. Growing up I’d hear people say “My hands/wrist hurt so bad I can’t play anymore” and I always blew it off as hyperbole until it happened to me in my mid-late 30’s.

I went 100% plant-based/whole foods only and in 3 months everything was gone. Not ‘it got a little better‘, it was gone. I did that for 5 years and it was the healthiest I‘ve ever been, my doctor shit his pants looking at the change in my blood work and had me write down what I was eating for meals to give as a suggestion to his other patients. Then I stopped, like over night I went back to eating whatever the hell I wanted and it took a while, but after about 9-12 months the pains came back.

Dairy and red meat do it to me without fail, so I cut that out again. I’m not super strict about my diet, but keep it pretty consistent. Protein oatmeal in the morning, nuts to snack on in the day, salad with a bunch of quinoa/grilled chicken for lunch then brown rice, veggies and grilled chicken for dinner. Usually once a week I’ll get something terrible for me, usually enchiladas from a killer Mexican joint or fast food.

And I actually HAVE to warm up before I play now. I think that’d happen regardless of how strict I became just due to the amount I use my hands.
I haven't been doing a warm up of any kind. Just dive right in. Now that I think about it, the problem first started to surface when I was playing drums non-stop for a few days. Think I might have pulled something. Hope I can fix it.

Every drummer I’ve ever played with has eventually developed tendinitis (which leads to carpal tunnel if not addressed). The doctor has them take several weeks off, and then they have to follow a strict routine of stretching exercises for 10-15 mins before playing every day. Works every time. So if you play guitar, work at a desk, and play drums, you might be getting this same issue.

Try to solve your problems without pharmacy. Drugs only act against the symptoms, but not the cause.

Look into your eating habits, maybe there’s some stuff you react to? Carnivore diet may help or not, in some cases arthritis is facilitated by eating too much meat. Only way to find out is, to try for yourself.

There is a lot of stuff to control these „civilization diseases“ only by changing your diet. You can do detox treatments or medical fasting to get rid of pro-inflammatory factors in your body. Important is, the earlier you start, the better your body can get back to its normal functions.

Edit: look if your body is supplied with all nutrients it needs like vitamins etc. Vitamin D actually acts more like a hormone as a vitamin and most people have a too low level

Best advice of the thread. Believe me, I won't try anything without consulting a doctor first. As mentioned, my body has started working against me in my 40s. I get plenty of sunlight, so plenty of vitamin D. I am leaning towards some kind of hand injury while drumming more than anything else right now. Maybe I'm clutching at straws.

That bad, eh? Yeah, I started having pain when I was trying to play at about 200-210bpm on the drums. Hands just started to seize up and I couldn't hold my sticks in my hands without a lot of pain/dropping them.

I think my course of action right now, i.e. rest my hands, is the best one right now. I am able to function with them normally, other than a pain in my elbow or tricep when typing on the right hand. Hopefully, just some days/weeks away from the guitar and drums will let everything heal.

Not sure what it is, I was just typing a message a while ago and my triceps were hurting something fierce. A recent blood test showed that my triglycerides were out of the normal range and my cholesterol was getting out of control. Maybe these are just symptoms of getting fat haha

I haven't been doing a warm up of any kind. Just dive right in. Now that I think about it, the problem first started to surface when I was playing drums non-stop for a few days. Think I might have pulled something. Hope I can fix it.

Best advice of the thread. Believe me, I won't try anything without consulting a doctor first. As mentioned, my body has started working against me in my 40s. I get plenty of sunlight, so plenty of vitamin D. I am leaning towards some kind of hand injury while drumming more than anything else right now. Maybe I'm clutching at straws.

That bad, eh? Yeah, I started having pain when I was trying to play at about 200-210bpm on the drums. Hands just started to seize up and I couldn't hold my sticks in my hands without a lot of pain/dropping them.

I think my course of action right now, i.e. rest my hands, is the best one right now. I am able to function with them normally, other than a pain in my elbow or tricep when typing on the right hand. Hopefully, just some days/weeks away from the guitar and drums will let everything heal.
Rest and stretching prior to playing. If you let it get to the carpal tunnel level it’ll take surgery to repair it. Let us know how it goes after the break.

Rest and stretching prior to playing. If you let it get to the carpal tunnel level it’ll take surgery to repair it. Let us know how it goes after the break.
Sure thing, man. Didn't play today and I probably won't play till my new (old) amps get to me, then I'll give it a shot. Drumming is completely out though, which is a pain, cause I had just formed a band.

Same here, turning 42, desk jockey. You might want to think about seeing a messsage therapist and/or a personal trainer. The tension caused from being a desk jockey will encumber your nerves, blood flow, etc., to the point that your body isn't sending/reciving signals like it should. A good massage therapist will pick up on your specific issue/s.

Try the carnivore diet and watch things get better brother. I basically eat beef, bacon and eggs only for the most part and alot of things have improved. The biggest lie in the medical industry is cholesterol, it is a repair molecule. Do your own research. I pray things get better for you my friend!
^^^^^
Correct. Big food and Doctors are trying to kill you.
For the hand, get the flextend glove. Best $150 I ever spent. Saved me tons of money and aggravation by staying away from the EVIL HMO and PCP

When the left hand takes over from an overused, tired right, swelling up is perfectly normal, as the left doesn't normally experience such repetitive friction there. I'd be more concerned about the psychological impact in that using your left feels more like entertaining yourself with a stranger.

Last edited:
Fix it with food, not medicine.

I'm 43 and have run bread routes for nearly 25 years, so I'm always doing stuff with my hands, picking up bread, lifting and moving cold trays around in the truck during the winter months and have done 12 years or so of rough traditional martial arts...so looooooots of wrist locks, elbow locks, shoulder locks and being thrown to the ground with all of them and I play just fine still. I can still play just as fast as I ever did and am extremely fortunate in that aspect, and my diet is fucking trash. I hope you can fix your issues with proper food, good water or other somewhat natural drinks and maybe some exercise.

^^^^^
Correct. Big food and Doctors are trying to kill you.
For the hand, get the flextend glove. Best $150 I ever spent. Saved me tons of money and aggravation by staying away from the EVIL HMO and PCP
Doctors trying to kill you. That’s what I learned in medical school. Btw… killing people is easy; anyone can do it. Keeping people alive is quite difficult.

Doctors trying to kill you. That’s what I learned in medical school. Btw… killing people is easy; anyone can do it. Keeping people alive is quite difficult.
Well most of the issue is with the patients, not the doctors. Doctors just treat symptoms. My wife went to see a dietician years ago. One of the recommended food items was yogurt with M+M's
There's a fix for most common ailments, you just have to do the work yourself and figure it out. But most of the time, it involves giving up something that you love, which requires an endless amount of discipline. The physical aspect is the easy part.

Inflammation, primarily caused by processed carbohydrates and sugars is the culprit in many of these situations. Eliminate these things as much as possible and all kinds of disorders seem to fade away. That has been my experience.

Last edited:
Well most of the issue is with the patients, not the doctors. Doctors just treat symptoms. My wife went to see a dietician years ago. One of the recommended food items was yogurt with M+M's
There's a fix for most common ailments, you just have to do the work yourself and figure it out. But most of the time, it involves giving up something that you love, which requires an endless amount of discipline. The physical aspect is the easy part.
Well said

Inflammation, primarily caused by processed carbohydrates and sugars is the culprit in many if these situations. Eliminate these things as much as possible and all kinds of disorders seem to fade away. That has been my experience.
Yes. Welcome to the future of medicine. People taking their health into their own hands. 100% responsibility.

Back