Vertical Mesa 2X12 vs Horizontal 2X12 thoughts?

kmanick

I want to grab a Mesa 2X12 for my Mark Iv head. I 've owned a horizontal 2X12 in the past and it sounded great with my old Mark Iv head , but I found it to be extremely directional.
Great in the house, not so great with a band, so I'm thinking of trying one of the vertical 2X12's because I want to gig the Mark IV.
Anyone here have one? do they sound as good as the horizontal cab?

They do sound good, but they also sound thinner. But they also have better spread, especially with the angled top speaker.

Fail. Its not a bass its a guitar. Stay in your lane..

This is tits. What are you waiting for??

7b8dfb22d0okJsfxJPq3LMoeeVNpruGZ5D2b89rb.jpg

Well I just hooked it up to my Splawn 2X12 (scumback m75/J75 mix) and it sounds surprising pretty awesome. there is someone local to me that has the same cab loaded with V30's for considerably cheaper than a Mesa, I may just grab that as my Splawn cab throws pretty well, I gig it all the time. I think these heads shine with V30's.
IMG_5111.jpg

I'd say the vertical 2x12 would be the ultimate way to go if you only had one cabinet.....but stacking 2 2x12's would put the upper 2x12 at your hearing level better and essentially you end up with a 4x12. Splawn makes a great cabinet and the V-30's would match the Mark IV extremely well.......

Go snag that Splawn 2x12 IMHO....................................:unsure::yes::2thumbsup:

Honestly a horizontal 2x12 layout is classic. A vert 2x12 looks goofy and is thin, just get a 4x12.
Maybe for Dwarfs.. Don't want to start a pissing match here, but I challenge anyone to say my little Jet City 212 Vert with my Deliverance D120 sounds remotely thin.. Your amp has knobs and sliders.. Use them.
Don't expect magick but just plugging into something and expecting it to be the way you think it should..

All of the Mesa 2x12s are thinner & top-endy compared to the Mesa 4x12s so don't sweat the difference too much. For that reason they do tend to cut better with low tunings, though.

That said, the vertical slant does work better live for the reasons stated. That cab is the only one I've ever had my neighbors complain about band practice, and I regularly use a full stack...

that vertical one i remember sounding really good. i've had a million of the horizontal. they sound good at first, but eventually i always found a reason to get rid of them. i tried ev's, 75's, 65's, v30s, c90s, and i always ended up ditching it for one reason or another. i think that horizontal design isn't tall enough and makes it very one dimensional and subdued sounding, if that makes sense. low end / low mids less tight but very present. highs kinda rolled off unless you stand on the other side of the room from it and crank it.

mesa makes a new 2x12 diagonal now that i gotta try. it just came out.
https://www.sweetwater.com/c624--Am...Vi15HAR1qzQClEAQYAyABEgICXvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

All of the Mesa 2x12s are thinner & top-endy compared to the Mesa 4x12s so don't sweat the difference too much. For that reason they do tend to cut better with low tunings, though.

That said, the vertical slant does work better live for the reasons stated. That cab is the only one I've ever had my neighbors complain about band practice, and I regularly use a full stack...
It’s 16 ohm speakers in parallel too. That’s what makes the tone different from the 4x12’s.

Have had the 2x12 horizontal and currently have 2 2x12 verticals. Much prefer the verticals. Also, Mesa just released a new diagonal 2x12 that you may be interested in trying out.

IMG_1203.jpeg

Listen guys, if you’re at home sitting 2 feet away from your cab, yeah, you’re not gonna get the whole frequency spectrum with the horizontal. But if you’re on a stage w/ PA, monitors, in ears, etc., you’re gonna get that BASS and people are gonna hear it all. AND you’re not gonna have to hump that 4x12.

Back