Seymour Duncan Exciter Humbucker

I have not tried one, but have seen some clips of them, and it seems like it would be worth a try !

I think the story goes that back in the day, MJ used to get a lot of requests for her "off the menu" special wound pickup, the DokkenBucker. Which was a precise wind / recipe, that mimic'd what she used to do for Lynch's requested pickups. So, Duncan issued The Hunter pickup, and gave GL a percentage to use his endorsement and song name. George, in true Lynch fashion, was not happy with his deal after some time passed, and the endorsement expired. Was it due to a mass produced pickup not living up to his expectations, or just George wanting Duncan to just give him major cash because his name was mentioned? Who knows...
So, the Hunter may have been "discontinued", and then reissued, under the "Exciter" name, which was George's previous band name prior to Dokken...

I have 2 of the original, special request pickups ("DokkenBucker") that MJ wound for me years ago, and they are fantastic in both alder and the older Kamikazes. I like them enough that I will probably never remove them from the guitars that they are in, but I do not know how closely the newer models are copied from the formula that MJ used to utilize.

Scott at Tone Nerd could probably easily replicate any of the above mentioned pickups, though.

Last edited:
I have not tried one, but have seen some clips of them, and it seems like it would be worth a try !

I think the story goes that back in the day, MJ used to get a lot of requests for her "off the menu" special wound pickup, the DokkenBucker. Which was a precise wind / recipe, that mimic'd what she used to do for Lynch's requested pickups. So, Duncan issued The Hunter pickup, and gave GL a percentage to use his endorsement and song name. George, in true Lynch fashion, was not happy with his deal after some time passed, and the endorsement expired. Was it due to a mass produced pickup not living up to his expectations, or just George wanting Duncan to just give him major cash because his name was mentioned? Who knows...
So, the Hunter may have been "discontinued", and then reissued, under the "Exciter" name, which was George's previous band name prior to Dokken...

I have 2 of the original, special request pickups ("DokkenBucker") that MJ wound for me years ago, and they are fantastic in both alder and the older Kamikazes. I like them enough that I will probably never remove them from the guitars that they are in, but I do not know how closely the newer models are copied from the formula that MJ used to utilize.

Scott at Tone Nerd could probably easily replicate any of the above mentioned pickups, though.
I don't think the Exciter is the same as the Hunter. As far as I know, the Hunter was more or less an underwound Duncan Distortion (15K-ish) with a regular-sized ceramic magnet. Based on the DCR, the Exciter is more overwound than a Duncan Distortion, and based on the dimensions, it has the same oversized magnet.

Back