Bogner Ubercab vs Fryette Fatbottom vs Diezel FL

Wizard of Ozz":2sso4sm5 said:
braintheory":2sso4sm5 said:
Anyone else have experience comparing these cabs?

I've had them all side to side... and still own the Bogner FL UberKab and Diezel FL V30s. I hated the Fryette FatBottom with P50E speakers. Not my thing at all. The Fryette was very hollow, weird mid-voicing, and boxy sounding. Not a pleasant sound. P50E speakers have this semi-vintage-like sound to them... maybe due to the lower output rating. Meh.

The FL Ubercab is the most versatile and works best with the largest variety of amps. The Diezel FL V30 is more specific and niche oriented... it is tighter, more focused, laser-beam directional at times depending on placement and the room it is in... and overall a great cab to pair with an amp that needs tightening in the bottom end (ie Recto, Uberschall, et al).

So... FL 16 Ohm UberKab or 16 Ohm Diezel FL V30 for the win.

PS: I also despise K100 speakers with a passion, so anything with those is a no go for me. I've had them in several different 4X12s.

+1.... on the Diezel and Bogner FL’s.
I’ve been jamming through the Bogner Uberkab 16 ohm FL and Diezel FL v30 16 ohm cabs a lot lately.
The diezel I mainly play with my mesas. I also like to run my modded slax with both the Friedman 412:15 and diezel FL in parallel. Sounds awesome. Vintage and modern together. The Uberkab though really is versatile. I’ve been jamming my fortin through it exclusively lately.

I still am interested in the fane loaded Fryette FL FB cabs, hopefully get to try Matt’s soon.

Back from the dead, any new opinions on the current front loaded Bogner Uberkab/412ST vs Diezel 412 FK?

I had a Fatbottom 412, I liked how tight and clinical it was but it wasn’t resonant enough for me. I bet if I would have removed the internal brace it would have sounded better.

I’m not too concerned with any of the stock speakers as I’ll be replacing them with EVM12L/Redback or 12L/Scumback.

I’m typically into smaller cabs, keeps it tight with my G# tuning (27” scale, low string is a 70). I have an Avatar Traditional straight and slant that fit the bill, it’s awesome how resonant these cabs are but I’d like to try something more tight/modern, but not so tight that it has no resonance.

So many contradicting statements online about the Uberkab/412ST, multiple ppl saying it’s dark, others say it’s fizzy, some say it’s tight, some say it’s not. YouTube clips sound low mid focused, warm and a bit dark to me. So how tight is it? Usually I aim for cabs with the speakers mounted close together and minimal room between speakers and the sides of the cab, the opposite of over sized. Bogner cabs look bigger than that but a lot of ppl are saying they’re tight? I loathe the washed out boominess of over sized cabs but I know dimensions aren’t everything, so how tight are the Bogner cabs?

How resonant is the Diezel compared to the Fatbottom? Loves me a tight cab but not if I’m sacrificing too much resonance for it. Tempted to buy one but afraid it might be too cold & stiff, like the Fatbottom.

Back from the dead, any new opinions on the current front loaded Bogner Uberkab/412ST vs Diezel 412 FK?

I had a Fatbottom 412, I liked how tight and clinical it was but it wasn’t resonant enough for me. I bet if I would have removed the internal brace it would have sounded better.

I’m not too concerned with any of the stock speakers as I’ll be replacing them with EVM12L/Redback or 12L/Scumback.

I’m typically into smaller cabs, keeps it tight with my G# tuning (27” scale, low string is a 70). I have an Avatar Traditional straight and slant that fit the bill, it’s awesome how resonant these cabs are but I’d like to try something more tight/modern, but not so tight that it has no resonance.

So many contradicting statements online about the Uberkab/412ST, multiple ppl saying it’s dark, others say it’s fizzy, some say it’s tight, some say it’s not. YouTube clips sound low mid focused, warm and a bit dark to me. So how tight is it? Usually I aim for cabs with the speakers mounted close together and minimal room between speakers and the sides of the cab, the opposite of over sized. Bogner cabs look bigger than that but a lot of ppl are saying they’re tight? I loathe the washed out boominess of over sized cabs but I know dimensions aren’t everything, so how tight are the Bogner cabs?

How resonant is the Diezel compared to the Fatbottom? Loves me a tight cab but not if I’m sacrificing too much resonance for it. Tempted to buy one but afraid it might be too cold & stiff, like the Fatbottom.
Yes, I have all 3 now. With the same speakers I find my Fatbottom and Diezel FL 412’s to sound very similar. The Diezel is just a bit fatter/bigger, darker and warmer, a little less tight, but still very tight. Part of it could be thought that my Diezel 412 is made of Okoume. If you don’t like the Fatbottom you might not like the Diezel FL either

In a way I think all those descriptions of the Uber are accurate even if it sounds contradictory. It is dark, very fat/thick in the low mids (much more so than the other 2), but I think those T75’s also contribute some high end fizz to it (I got rid of those speakers). It is also quite tight, just not as much so as those other 2. I think the foam on the back also contributes a lot to its homogeneous type of sound and response. I really like it. It’s both tight, modern yet also very fat in the low mids without imo getting boomy

I can give you my 2 cents on the FL Uberkab.
Played a Diezel 412 years ago but it’s been too long for me to remember what it sounded like.

The FL Uberkab is somewhat dark sounding.
On par with my PPC412 but very direct.
I’m in a well treated room so I’m getting a more less good representation of the cab.

Have it paired with a Rivera Knucklehead Tre, most of the time.
The Tre has a ton of low end and the uberkab keeps the low end and lo mids in check.
Paired it with a few other cabs but wasn’t totally satisfied.
The Rivera is kind of tricky to dial in, because the EQ has such a wide frequency sweep.
Not a boomy cab like you mentioned but keeps everything well controlled.

Last edited:
Not sure about the other cabs mentioned as I haven’t played through them, but I’ve felt like the Diezel FL with V30’s is a good option. It stays tight and I would say “crispy”, as to signify that it is not dark and muddy. A very good front forward speaker cab, with good articulation.

Well, I got my hands on a front loaded Uberkab and a Diezel 412-FK. It’s Diezel > Uberkab for me. V30’s & K100’s are alright but not my favorite so I loaded the cabs with 12L’s & Redbacks for testing. First time trying T75’s by the way, definitely not my thing, very mediocre inarticulate speakers, like there’s a hollow messy layer on top of everything you play, I’m used to Celestions having that signature Brit growl but the T75’s sound sort of like Eminence speakers that are trying to be British.

Anyway, the Uberkab was good but not great with my rig; it’s a dark, low mid prominent cab. It was overly resonant, depth turned all the way down on the amp and it was still too much. Some extra bracing could probably remedy that but Im not keen on modifying a high end cab. This cab had some of that swirling echo thing that I hear in oversized cabs, not as much as an OS cab, but some, which makes sense considering its size & shape. I play in G#, 27”, low string is a 70. Slow heavy riffs sounded amazing but fast low tuned tech stuff was kind of blurry. It did fine in a live mix but all the aforementioned gripes were still there. It sounded surprisingly good recorded but not as good as my best recording cab so there was no reason to keep it. The V30’s make sense in this cab as they balance out its low mid resonance.

The Diezel cab is incredibly mid to high mid forward, in fact I had to dial out a bit of honk on the amp. This cab is resonant enough, normal depth setting on the amp, but not overly resonant like the Uberkab, and not lacking resonance like the Fatbottom. I thought I remembered ppl saying this cab was beamy? It’s one of the least beamy cabs I’ve ever played, super even dispersion for a 4x12. I was kind of hoping I wouldn’t like this cab ‘cause even used it was expensive AF, but I’m sold after hearing it in the live mix, the mids cut so good. I do hear a bit of that oversized swirling echo boom thing but it’s much less than with the Uberkab - if only they made a slightly smaller version of this cab. With the stock K100’s, man, that’s a lot of high mid. Best casters I’ve ever had on a cab, btw. Haven’t tried recording it yet.

Back