this old Mark IIB sounds as bad ass as any III or IV I've ever heard what am I missing?

I saw a good deal on a IIB and heard good clips, but always stopped short of buying one cause I dont hear a lot about them. Anyone know if these things can thrash like in the clip?

Maybe GJgo will chime in. For some reason I think it was his clip. He did a shootout with the b, c+, and maybe a iii. The b sounded the best to me….

damn , I saw one on GC's site last night for $1099 non EQ, I didn't know anything about them until today ,
was going to pull the trigger on it but .... you snooze you lose :( it's gone

will Mesa add an eq to a non EQ mark anymore?
The issue last I knew was, Mike B doesn't have the faceplates anymore. But, maybe there's another way...I'd call Mesa M-Th and ask to speak to service. They'll give you an answer.

I've had 3 B Coliseums, and 1 HRG B and they are all killer in their own way. They have a cool vintage vibe; like playing an old Fender that's been modded for more gain. If I were to choose between a 2B and a III, the 2B wins hands down for that vintage thing. But, like all Mesas it really depends on which preamp board you get in the B....The RP9C was the very last version before the 2C/C+ came out, and are very tight like a 2C and newer. Vs the earlier boards, which are looser but very vintage-y sounding like a 60s amp. Those earlier Bs are killer but need a slight bump to be tight.
I had a very early 2B Coli, and that thing was like a wild animal...no limiter knob, so vol was off-heart attack like a Plexi with a huge bright cap...my old drummer still mentions his hearing loss was from that 1 gig I brought that thing to. Lol

The issue last I knew was, Mike B doesn't have the faceplates anymore. But, maybe there's another way...I'd call Mesa M-Th and ask to speak to service. They'll give you an answer.

I've had 3 B Coliseums, and 1 HRG B and they are all killer in their own way. They have a cool vintage vibe; like playing an old Fender that's been modded for more gain. If I were to choose between a 2B and a III, the 2B wins hands down for that vintage thing. But, like all Mesas it really depends on which preamp board you get in the B....The RP9C was the very last version before the 2C/C+ came out, and are very tight like a 2C and newer. Vs the earlier boards, which are looser but very vintage-y sounding like a 60s amp. Those earlier Bs are killer but need a slight bump to be tight.
I had a very early 2B Coli, and that thing was like a wild animal...no limiter knob, so vol was off-heart attack like a Plexi with a huge bright cap...my old drummer still mentions his hearing loss was from that 1 gig I brought that thing to. Lol
once you own a IIB coli the thing that haunts your dreams is that hair trigger master. like taking a bong hit off a bazooka.

My first Mesa was a IIB 100 watt. I think I got it in 1981.
I had a 1976 Fender Twin at the time. I remember thinking this is like a Fender with a ton of gain and midrange.
Back in the days when you called Mesa and Randal often answered the phone. That or the new guy Tone Boy.

I don't really know much about any of the Mark series amps before the IIC+
this thing even sounds good without the EQ engaged, so why aren't these are popular as the IIC's or the III's

Why? Because it's easier to fool a man than to convince him he's been fooled. :p There's a narrative out there that undervalues the IIB. The late IIBs are high gain killers, especially when loop modded.

My first Mesa was a IIB 100 watt. I think I got it in 1981.
I had a 1976 Fender Twin at the time. I remember thinking this is like a Fender with a ton of gain and midrange.
Back in the days when you called Mesa and Randal often answered the phone. That or the new guy Tone Boy.
I'd question the 'tone boy' moniker when, the Mk Vs C+ setting was copied from a NON GEQ 2C+, that 'tone boy' favored. 99% of C+ guys want one with a GEQ....I don't care about the unicorn non EQ version that somehow doesn't sound like a Goose on steroids.

If you compare a Mark II with no GEQ to an equitable Mark II with GEQ, but with it turned off, I'd be willing to bet the no-EQ has better tone & feel. (A test I've done many times..) So, I get it why he used that as the basis for the sound.

When you do find a no-EQ version that does sound balanced it's amazing, and you don't miss the EQ at all. They're not all honky.

If you compare a Mark II with no GEQ to an equitable Mark II with GEQ, but with it turned off, I'd be willing to bet the no-EQ has better tone & feel. (A test I've done many times..) So, I get it why he used that as the basis for the sound.

When you do find a no-EQ version that does sound balanced it's amazing, and you don't miss the EQ at all. They're not all honky.
Sorry brother, but not for me. Granted, I've only had 1 (2C S) but that amp was a honkfest. The only thing, that I would give it as an upgrade over the other GEQ Marks I've owned was the super fast response. That was cool. Like playing a modeler, super easy to play. If one could swap the tonal parts in the circuit for less low mids, and more upper mids I'd be all for it.
The feel with any C+ is above anything I've ever played; maybe it's better with a non EQ C+? Haven't played one so I defer to you on that one. But that 2C was horridly honky.

For the longest time, it was pretty easy to find a Mark III, so I think most people just went that route as there's more info about them etc.

Now that people are hanging onto those and prices are going up, these will probably be more sought after.

Back