If u got a modeler, IR solution, which would you get?

romanianreaper

The only recent modeling I had was my Axe-Fx II and that was years ago. I'm thinking of getting a Fender FR-12 with a pedal sized "amp" modeler to go with it. What would be best of the following?
- Friedman IR-X
- Nux Amp Academy
- LINE 6 HX Stomp

Any others I'm not thinking of. I just need clean and a great hard rock Marshall type tone. The other options are bonus but really don't need a ton of sounds, etc. I have a bunch of effects pedals too.

Thanks!

The Friedman is a tube preamp so not sure how well it would work through an FRFR speaker, probably ok with its emulated out.

In addition to the ones you listed:
Fractal FM9
Fractal FM3
Fender Tone Master
Hotone Ampero

The Friedman is a tube preamp so not sure how well it would work through an FRFR speaker, probably ok with its emulated out.

In addition to the ones you listed:
Fractal FM9
Fractal FM3
Fender Tone Master
Hotone Ampero
I know the Fractal stuff is amazing but pricier obviously. All of those above are great too. There are so many more great amp solutions now.

I know the Fractal stuff is amazing but pricier obviously. All of those above are great too. There are so many more great amp solutions now.
I have not tried it but there are some great YouTube reviews on the newest Ampero, they sound great. Small and a little cheaper. I think Mooer had an offering too, forget the name.

What are you wanting to use it for?

After not paying attention to modelers for over a decade, I bought a cheap interface and tried a few of the Neural DSP free demos a while back. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed them, the Petrucci and Gojira ones especially. Being able to demo them for free is what sold me. I bought the Petrucci one a few weeks later, and have collected a few others when they run their Black Friday sales.

Of course this is only an option if you you're plugging into a computer, which worked in my situation. I can't say how it compares to other options on the market, I didn't want to spend $1500 on a modeling interface and this was a working solution at a price point I've been happy with.

Mooer Prime S1. $179 @ Amazon (all in one, vs the P2; same software).

"Users can access 52 amp models + 10 GNR downloadable file slots, 25 Cab Sims +10 GIR/3rd party IR downloadable file slots*** and 57 classic and experimental effect models "

shopping

Manual: https://www.mooeraudio.com/npublic/opdfjs/web/viewer.html?file=https://omo-oss-file.thefastfile.com/portal-saas/new2022113010221252588/cms/file/afe20d70-2554-4f01-a738-72b9111caec8.pdf

edit:

Last edited:
They all sound pretty good these days, you just need to figure out your budget and what features you need. Used FM3's are pretty inexpensive for what you get but if you're looking for cheap I'd be looking at a Pod go or a UA Lion to use with your existing effects.

If you're ok with zero support, I'm still a fan of the Atomic amp modeling...their Marshall's sound great. I picked up an Amplifirebox as a gig backup and it rips.

If I'm paying for it myself, Hotone Ampero/Ampero Mini.
All the features I need, tones are awesome, interface is super easy and the price is stupidly good.
It's wild what some of these companies are able to do at the lower pricepoints these days.

If I'm not paying, Quad Cortex easily, but only because I can capture all my own amps and take them everywhere with me. Built in modeling is pretty meh on a lot of models

All good options. I'm trying to decide what dirty go with this. I mean is a modeller with just one ir a few amp choices good if that is all I'll use? I love the Friedman tone and pretty much my go to when I had the Axefx II. So in that case, the IR-X is a good solution.

It is cool having access to all of the drives, amps, and effects of Fractal, LINE 6, etc, but then again, I've got the BOSS EVH SDE-3000, Keeley pedals, etc.

I'm sure everyone struggles with decisions like this, lol.

I was considering a similar situation last year, researched the Nu-X a great deal. Didn't get to try one in person but do have experience with the HX Stomp, which seems a lot more rugged, and you don't by any means need to use all of the effects/models it has to justify it.

I was considering a similar situation last year, researched the Nu-X a great deal. Didn't get to try one in person but do have experience with the HX Stomp, which seems a lot more rugged, and you don't by any means need to use all of the effects/models it has to justify it.
The Nux seems like a killer deal. All of y h r modelers these days seem to sound a lot closer to a real amp sound. It is amazing how far they have come.

I think I will probably get the Friedman IR-X and then knowing me, I'll end up with something else as well....lol.

Back