RG 570...90's MIJ....

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
found one today. I have never been an Ibanez guy...not that I did not like them...I was always a les paul and no trem kinda guy. So I stumbled across this thing today. It was right beside a new Ibby that looked like a 550 but wasn't. It was a cheaper model. Anyway I told the guy I always wanted a 550 and he says here you go and grabs it. I said that's not a 550 and he says Ohhh your right...it's a 570. It had been repainted with a spray can and did not look bad actually. Missing the clamp blocks for the locking nut, and had the two humbuckers replaced with Dimarzio's and the stock single coil in the middle. The concerning thing was a very slight neck crack. I have never seen one like this before. Right between the two bolts that hold the nut on the back of the neck there's a slight crack between them running lengthwise with the neck. Maybe a half to 3/4" long. He quoted me $400. Probably take less though. I don't have the extra right now anyway but what do you guys think? Sorry no pics. I was not thinking at the time or I would have taken a couple.

found one today. I have never been an Ibanez guy...not that I did not like them...I was always a les paul and no trem kinda guy. So I stumbled across this thing today. It was right beside a new Ibby that looked like a 550 but wasn't. It was a cheaper model. Anyway I told the guy I always wanted a 550 and he says here you go and grabs it. I said that's not a 550 and he says Ohhh your right...it's a 570. It had been repainted with a spray can and did not look bad actually. Missing the clamp blocks for the locking nut, and had the two humbuckers replaced with Dimarzio's and the stock single coil in the middle. The concerning thing was a very slight neck crack. I have never seen one like this before. Right between the two bolts that hold the nut on the back of the neck there's a slight crack between them running lengthwise with the neck. Maybe a half to 3/4" long. He quoted me $400. Probably take less though. I don't have the extra right now anyway but what do you guys think? Sorry no pics. I was not thinking at the time or I would have taken a couple.

How’d the hardware look?

That bridge is worth $250-$300 on the used market alone if it’s in good shape!

The cracks behind the nut are probably cracks from over tightening, I’ve seen them on a SHITLOAD of JEMs and RG’s over the years, never saw any issues from them, much like the stress cracks on the body by the neck joint in the horns on almost every JEM/RG out there.

Really, if all the parts are serviceable, anything under $800 is a damn good deal for a 90’s MIJ RG based on quality of the guitar as a baseline. You literally have to spend thousands to get that same quality from Ibanez today, unless you luck out and find a killer Premium.

the trem and tuners are original but the locking nut and string retainer were replaced. Odd. All the hardware is black but those are chrome finished.

I've also seen those cracks on load of RG's, even bought a few like that cheap back in the day. If it's not completely trashed, that's a deal worth considering. I never have been or will be an Ibanez guy, but I enjoy them enough that it's worth having one in the stable, if I'm not forking out top $ for it.

I bought & sold so many MIJ Ibby's back in the day, and really wished I'd picked one to hold onto. Last year I got an old RG7420 with Dimarzios from a friend locally, that I'm planning to keep long term.

Sounds like it’s seen better days, but I also think that’s a fair price if it plays good and it’s just cosmetic things. If I wanted it and took a flyer I’d ask for $350 and see how it goes.

Snag it if you get a price you like, bro. If nothing else you can flip it. Those guitar are high quality instruments.

i've got a 91' 550. cool guitar, i hate the finish, may get it refinished someday, but just a killer guitar.

I had the jewel blue Rg760 with sharktooth inlay from 1989. I just had to have a JEM but I was 20 and a broke fuck so I was never fully satisfied with the 7 series. I was a fool. Should have gotten the DY RG550 or the one that Alex Skolnick had. 🫤. It wouldn’t have mattered anyway as any guitar I had made no difference in how I played. If I recall the 550 was $599. The 760 $799 and the jem was 1599$ but $1799 with steve vai signature. Stupid. And POS amp. I was like “white men can’t jump”. Look good, play shitty.

Back