A wizard to tie the rig together?

PaintChipsAreVegan

Banned
Posted a few weeks ago about adding a few amps to the stable to add some variety to the Germany compressed, saturated gain thing. Ended up going down the 5150/6505 rabbit hole and just got both

There was an overwhelming number of wizard suggestions.

Would a wizard complement these well? Any clip I’ve heard, it’s frankly more unique than some of the overlap some of these amps have.
IMG_8821.jpeg

i said get the 5150 in the last thread, how is it?
I was quite pleasantly surprised. 5150 block letter was my first tube amp ever way back, and it sounded like fizzy fucking shit. I hated it so much.

I spent the next 20 years wondering how such a turd was so ubiquitous for metal tones for decades

Maybe I was the problem, maybenre it’s the speakers, maybe it’s better QC, maybe it’s the new OT, but this was, for once, the first peavey 5150 or 6505 that I plugged into, and finally felt like I get it.

Short of maybe the Uber, this is probably the most aggressive, visceral, and punchy of the bunch. I’d say a little more lively than the engl and diezel for sure. And definitely with a more raw and gritty (but not harsh) gain.

I could take the 6505 to a gig and it’ll be easy to dial into a mix off the bat. The Engl and diezel would need a bit of tweaking to cut as aggressively

Amazing value for the money too. This thing is 30% the cost of some of those amps and in many ways, just as good

A Wizard is going to be different than most of the amps in that pile, yep. They are uncompressed, dynamic, articulate, and very very clear sounding in a way few other amps are. The guitar's volume control, and your own picking pressure, will determine how clean vs distorted a Wizard will be in a way the other amps in that pic really don't do.

As far as dynamics go, the Modern Classic I and II are similar to a cranked Plexi where picking light gives you clean tone and picking hard gets real dirty real fast, but where a Plexi will kind of mush up and fall apart the harder you pick, a Wizard will stay tight and just give you more modern gain.

Not sure how Wizard's latest and greatest amp the Hell Razor feels to play though.

Also, don’t overlook VHT or even a JCM 800. They’re also tight and bright, very different from what you’ve already got.

Last edited:
A Wizard is going to be different than most of the amps in that pile, yep. They are uncompressed, dynamic, articulate, and very very clear sounding in a way few other amps are. The guitar's volume control, and your own picking pressure, will determine how clean vs distorted a Wizard will be in a way the other amps in that pic really don't do.

As far as dynamics go, the Modern Classic I and II are similar to a cranked Plexi where picking light gives you clean tone and picking hard gets real dirty real fast, but where a Plexi will kind of mush up and fall apart the harder you pick, a Wizard will stay tight and just give you more modern gain.

Not sure how Wizard's latest and greatest amp the Hell Razor feels to play though.

Also, don’t overlook VHT or even a JCM 800. They’re also tight and bright, very different from what you’ve already got.
My Hell Razor KT150 to me has the distinctive Wizard feel like the MTL and MC I had, but tighter and more attack-y, which for me makes it even more enjoyable to play. Not that those other 2 were not (they for sure were), but these qualities make it to me in a way almost like something in between my Hermansson's and the MTL & MC I had before. The Hell Razor can also be dialed in to be thicker or even sludgier if desired than the MTL & MC I had, but I much prefer other amps if I'm going for that

Last edited:
Posted a few weeks ago about adding a few amps to the stable to add some variety to the Germany compressed, saturated gain thing. Ended up going down the 5150/6505 rabbit hole and just got both

Would a wizard complement these well? Any clip I’ve heard, it’s frankly more unique than some of the overlap some of these amps have.View attachment 290459
Love the name. You should try a wizard if nothing else. Very rewarding. But it is very much going to be the opposite of those amps. Way brighter.

No doubt any Wizard will be very different from all your current amps. The Hell Razor model I have is my clear favorite over the MTL and MC I had before and could likely be a little less foreign than the other models since it's higher gain and tighter, more attack-y. A good '70's or '80's 2203/4 or Naylor would be other very good choices for a more open flavor

If you want something else that's great and different, but still compressed and saturated, I'd say Hermansson's or Mark series. IMO early Recto's too, but some may feel it's similar enough to the Uber and Herbert, but it has a distinct throaty growl on the orange channel that only Recto's have

I was quite pleasantly surprised. 5150 block letter was my first tube amp ever way back, and it sounded like fizzy fucking shit. I hated it so much.

I spent the next 20 years wondering how such a turd was so ubiquitous for metal tones for decades

Maybe I was the problem, maybenre it’s the speakers, maybe it’s better QC, maybe it’s the new OT, but this was, for once, the first peavey 5150 or 6505 that I plugged into, and finally felt like I get it.

Short of maybe the Uber, this is probably the most aggressive, visceral, and punchy of the bunch. I’d say a little more lively than the engl and diezel for sure. And definitely with a more raw and gritty (but not harsh) gain.

I could take the 6505 to a gig and it’ll be easy to dial into a mix off the bat. The Engl and diezel would need a bit of tweaking to cut as aggressively

Amazing value for the money too. This thing is 30% the cost of some of those amps and in many ways, just as good

Not surprising, there is a reason you see them everywhere from country to death metal for 30+ years now. The price is a little surprising, I didn’t realize they were that cheap

If you wanna stay away from British voicing but don’t need compression, Vht ultra lead. If you wanna keep towards a similar sound, jp2c, or driftwood purple nightmare signature .If you can find one, the MI megalith beta is insanely good. If you are ok with more British voiced amps, Wizard if you don’t need compression, Gower if you do. There’s lots of options if you want to move away from the sound of your current amps, but British voiced amps just might not be your thing- some people I know just don’t like them

Would a wizard complement these well? Any clip I’ve heard, it’s frankly more unique than some of the overlap some of these amps have.View attachment 290459
I tie things together with a Wizard..

pretty hard to go wrong. I tie my rack together with a MTL 100 , kinda wish I’d gotten a 50 watt but dude it’s gold

Back