Talk to me about your baritones!

mesa4x12er

I'm not quick to adapt unless forced to so I never got into 7 and 8 string guitars. I'll actually probably finally start experimenting with those soon just for fun but I'm on the lookout for a new Baritone first. Any of you using something you love? Tell me about it!

I have 2-26.5's and 1-27" Multi Scale..

The longer the scale, the tighter the string tension. I figured it on a tension calculator that the extra inch in a 26.5 is about half way to the next string gauge.. It's only an inch, but you do notice the frets are wider apart, so it takes a bit to adjust.

A Multi Scale is no big deal after playing a 26.5 and you barely know you're playing the weird angled frets .. You get the solid low strings and normal tension high strings..

I wouldn't go all in on your first one.. 500 or 600 bux is a good start I think..

Got a Ibanez MMM1 some years ago. Very nice guitar, very comfy, sounds great. I wanted to go lower without a seventh string and this did the trick nicely. 28'' tuned to drop A is perfect !

MMM1-Top3.jpg

MMM1-Back.jpg

I have a PRS 277 that I think is awesome, got it from sweetwater for like $750 bucks, it is built really nice and good quality, sounds and plays great.

I have a 27” ESP E-II Viper baritone that’s killer. Comes with a smaller string gauge from the factory 56-13. There’s no need for the big ass strings many of these manufacturers put on their baritones. The longer scale lets you use smaller gauges and retain the same string tension. Depending on your budget I’d look at a Korean made LTD. The M-1000 baritone looks great.

Just get an Ibanez 8 string .All I play . Unless I have to do classic rock or country or jazz .

I'm not quick to adapt unless forced to so I never got into 7 and 8 string guitars. I'll actually probably finally start experimenting with those soon just for fun but I'm on the lookout for a new Baritone first. Any of you using something you love? Tell me about it!
First off, what tuning do you plan on using? I would look into a seven string to be honest. You could probably get a PRS Holcomb seven string which has a 26.5 inch scale for under a grand.

I have been thinking about going the other way and getting a short scale.
Definitely give one a try first if you haven’t yet. I have a short scale and it feels like rubber bands. I noticed a much bigger difference going down to a short scale than I did up to a baritone or multiscale.

You may love the feeling though

I notice a difference between Gibson and fender lengths. I struggle more with 25.5”. I played about an hour this afternoon and my arms are still numb. They were cramping up for about two hours. Muscle relaxers fixed that but they knock me out. But fuck it right? Rock on…and fuck you multiple sclerosis.

I went through an extended phase for a few years, then 7 String, then 8 string. In the end I really figured out I don’t like really drop tuned guitar sound. I do love the shorter scale 24.75 or PRS 25” tuned to Eb and D standard. It just plays so much easier, maybe due to my age. It’s just easier on the hands.

Not recommending not to try it, you may love it and absolutely should go for one to try. 8 Strings made the most sense when I was playing them, it was easier to go from 6 to 8 than it was 6 to 7 for me anyway, because it kept an even number of strings and I visualize the fretboard in groupings like that.

Back