EVH 5150III question…bias…etc?

crwnedblasphemy

So I have a newer edition 2x12 combo. Used to own the 1st edition before this one with concentric pots. This one seems brighter, more gain than first edition. Anyways, I have new greenbacks in her, and am looking for that little darker squish the old one had. Wondering if I should rip out chassis and check bias, change some tubes out, or what? I like the amp, just seems a bit bright and stiff compared to the other one I had.

New Greenies will have that brighter/stiffer sound and feel, but you already knew that. Break those things in a bit and it will warm up some.

Try swapping some preamp tubes.
It's likely full of JJ's. That's about as warm, (and sterile), as it gets.

However, back to OP's original point, it could be biased way cold. Every one I had was. It WILL make a difference if it's as cold as 28-30, (which has been my experience), and bumping it up closer to 36mA. It'll definitely warm it up a tad. I know it's all about the absurd preamp gain these have, but 50% dissipation leaves a lot to be desired. I shoot for closer to 60-65.

I always put a Tungsol in V1 which is excellent for waking up the blue channel. Fuck the red channel, it's garbage. I hate it.

Last edited:
I had to bias my new 5150-III 50w stealth head when I got it and sounded amazing after that. I have the external bias pots so is a breeze.

It's likely full of JJ's. That's about as warm, (and sterile), as it gets.

However, back to OP's original point, it could be biased way cold. Every one I had was. It WILL make a difference if it's as cold as 28-30, (which has been my experience), and bumping it up closer to 36mA. It'll definitely warm it up a tad. I know it's all about the absurd preamp gain these have, but 50% dissipation leaves a lot to be desired. I shoot for closer to 60-65.

I always put a Tungsol in V1 which is excellent for waking up the blue channel. Fuck the red channel, it's garbage. I hate it.
This as well. If the bias is set cold it will be harsh and brittle. For the 50 watt, it should be around 60mA (mV) I believe. Doo a google search. The info is out there.

Just this morning I upped the bias from 35% (factory) to 65% on my 5150iii. Really livened it up, thickened the sound, and smoothed out the high end.

That said, you may have better luck in changing your tone in the way you describe by actual changes of the tubes to different types.

If that head is factory biased, I can guarantee it's biased remarkably cold, so if nothing else, maybe consider biasing up to 50-70% if that suits you, but it's important to remember that a bias control on an amp is not a tone control or voice shaping mechanism

Maybe consider tungsol 12AX7 or TAD 7025HG in v1 preamp. I do this with all my high gain heads and it really sweetens the sound up and does away with harshness.

Just this morning I upped the bias from 35% (factory) to 65% on my 5150iii. Really livened it up, thickened the sound, and smoothed out the high end.

That said, you may have better luck in changing your tone in the way you describe by actual changes of the tubes to different types.

If that head is factory biased, I can guarantee it's biased remarkably cold, so if nothing else, maybe consider biasing up to 50-70% if that suits you, but it's important to remember that a bias control on an amp is not a tone control or voice shaping mechanism

Maybe consider tungsol 12AX7 or TAD 7025HG in v1 preamp. I do this with all my high gain heads and it really sweetens the sound up and does away with harshness.
I've been putting a Tungsol in V1 for just about everything for years.

I have the single Eurotubes powertube probe, so once i get the itch I'll pull the chassis and check. I also have a ton of older preamp tubes so I will experiment there as well.

I couldn't get rid of the one I had fast enough. Took a loss just to get rid of it. Wish I had thought to bias it. :(
They do sound better biased correctly, but you did right moving it on. I think they're the most overrated amps on the planet, (but yes, biggest selling too). I loathed the red channel, even after 5751's, AT7's, and every other trick in the book to tame it. Blue channel was great. But, at the end of the day, they just have that generic, sterile high gain tone with no character. For me, they lack articulation, harmonic richness, and just the things a good tube amp should bring. I could get by for rhythm boosting the blue channel, but it didn't have a lively lead tone I go for.

They do sound better biased correctly, but you did right moving it on. I think they're the most overrated amps on the planet, (but yes, biggest selling too). I loathed the red channel, even after 5751's, AT7's, and every other trick in the book to tame it. Blue channel was great. But, at the end of the day, they just have that generic, sterile high gain tone with no character. For me, they lack articulation, harmonic richness, and just the things a good tube amp should bring. I could get by for rhythm boosting the blue channel, but it didn't have a lively lead tone I go for.
If you wanted a similar amp that is not shit in your opinion, what would you consider?

Back