Gave the ol Chubtone a good cleaning today

Matt300ZXT

I got this sweet axe from a guy on here a month or two ago and had been playing on crusty old strings since and figured it was time to give it a good cleaning. I took the old strings and Floyd off and hit the board/ss frets with some 0000 steel wool to clean off any gunk (but there really wasn't any) and give a slight polish to the frets, then cleaned it all off and gave it a lil bit of Behlen's fingerboard oil; the same stuff I use on all my ebony/rosewood guitars, and the pau ferro on this one was no exception. It soaked right in so it didn't really require much wiping/buffing. While it was doing its thing, I hit the oil finished walnut body with my Williamsville Wax, the same stuff that I use on my Warrior oil finish natural guitars and rubbed it all in with my fingertips and wiped it off with a good microfiber cloth. Then, the rosewood neck got a dose as well.

After wiping it all off and lightly buffing the conditioner off of the fretboard, it doesn't really look any different/darker, but at least I know I have a good application of product on there for maintenance so I don't have to worry about it getting too dry if I go a while without using it. Now, if only I could decide what pickups I wanted to put in it, as I REALLY don't care for these EMGs in it that it came with. Maybe one day I'll buy a DiMarzio Norton and a couple Red Velvets and swap them out so I get a sound I like more.

Tonenerd pickups is my vote. My two builds from them have those in and I couldn't be happier. I'm getting ready to send a deposit for my 3rd and I have SD Black winters on the spec sheet and it doesn't feel right. I need to read the post from scottosan on his current status

Tonenerd pickups is my vote. My two builds from them have those in and I couldn't be happier. I'm getting ready to send a deposit for my 3rd and I have SD Black winters on the spec sheet and it doesn't feel right. I need to read the post from scottosan on his current status
I’m still trying to get settled. Starting a new life overseas is tedious

Back