Changing 4x12 Cab grill cloth, PITA or doable for 1st Timer?

I have restoration threads on the TGP. You'd need to do a search on Scumback Speakers to find them since they're almost 20 years old. Grill cloth is covered in one of them.

Doing a grill cloth isn't too difficult. The bigger pain is pulling out all the staples. Hell it's probably be less time consuming to build a new baffle than pull out all the staples LOL. The video above is pretty much the way I did mine. Take your time and make sure everything stays pulled taut as you staple.

It's not overly difficult to recover a 412 either, no more than doing a headshell. You're just working with a bit larger side panels, but the whole procedure is exactly the same. Big thing is to take your time.

Been a bit since I posted this. Here's what I did to my Randall RM100 and built & covered a matching cab. This was a little more involved since I wanted pattern to face a certain way. That meant I had to do it with 4 panels instead of wrapping it around and had to deal with more seams.

View attachment 293879
the salt n peeper cloth looks incredible on that

I did a Mesa Lonestar 4x12. Stock was grey, I swapped to wicker. It was an absolute pain in the arse. Tons of staples, impossible to keep tension. Fabric would have been 1000x easier. First time DIY I think you can nail it, as long as you don't do anything close to wicker :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• PXL_20210627_200728208.jpg
    PXL_20210627_200728208.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230106_190412400.jpg
    PXL_20230106_190412400.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 14
I did a Mesa Lonestar 4x12. Stock was grey, I swapped to wicker. It was an absolute pain in the arse. Tons of staples, impossible to keep tension. Fabric would have been 1000x easier. First time DIY I think you can nail it, as long as you don't do anything close to wicker :ROFLMAO:
Wicker is not fun .... I agree ..... you have to soak that stuff .... and doing the corners is quite the tight rope walk with the staple gun ...
1709865692221.jpeg

1709865718364.jpeg

1709865843271.jpeg

Wicker is not fun .... I agree ..... you have to soak that stuff .... and doing the corners is quite the tight rope walk with the staple gun ...
View attachment 293984
View attachment 293987
View attachment 293990

Nice work! I soaked mine, but couldn't get it nearly as clean as yours! I couldn't believe how dirty the water was after soaking the wicker. And yes, my corners were falling apart, I had to go back after stapling with some hot glue to keep some of those splines in place. Maybe I'll revisit wicker with a 1x12. How did you keep tension? I used a long piece of wood and clamps on one side, but when pulling in all directions it started to come undone.

It’s pretty easy. You need to do one side first then the opposite side while keeping tension on the cloth. Then do the remaining sides. Of course you need to make sure the cloth is square against the baffle.

I’ve changed cloth on at least 5-6 cabinets. I like to use this siding tool to keep tension on the cloth while stapling.

I had one cabinet with three cloths on top of each other. It sounded great.
View attachment 293699
Hand brake. I have them in multiple sizes. For trim coil.

Back