Burny Les Paul Custom?

MrFlexx

I have the chance of betting a Burny Les Paul Custom made sometime in the 90's, don't know what year. It's 3 hours drive from me and I would like to have your opinion about those guitars before getting into my car driving there. Are they good, or just so so?
Please share as much input and information as you can and find useful for me. Thanks in advance.

I had one, I think mine was from the 80s, it was a black Custom. It was one of the most gorgeous guitars I ever owned, and one of my favorites, and I hate I sold it. It had Duncans and played soooooo good. Some people say the frets are a bit on the small side, but that doesn't really bother me. If it looks good, and is a good price, definitely go check it out.

No experience with the LP but I do have a Burny RSA-65 (335) from around 2009ish and it absolutely fucks

Burny.jpg

I've had a Burny LPC before. it was fine. Stock pickups aren't great but it came alive with some Dimarzio 36th Anni's. Being 90's it may be Korean, not Japanese. I've had a Korean Burny standard before and it was still nice but would affect the value. Both Burny's had frets on the smaller side, so calculate a possible refret in your purchase.

I've had a Burny LPC before. it was fine. Stock pickups aren't great but it came alive with some Dimarzio 36th Anni's. Being 90's it may be Korean, not Japanese. I've had a Korean Burny standard before and it was still nice but would affect the value. Both Burny's had frets on the smaller side, so calculate a possible refret in your purchase.
Oh...I'm not interested if there's a risk it's made in Korea. Thx for the heads up.

Got three of them, 2 Les Paul Customs from the early/mid 80's and one Standard from '89 or '90 (truss rod cover didn't have 'side thorns' ).
Love 'em, although I did replace all the electronics, bridge and replaced the nuts with Tusq versions.
2 of them are DiMarzio loaded now, one (my #1... Randy Rhoads LPC from '83) has arrived at an awesome Duncan combo after many pickup swaps; Custom/59 Hybrid bridge and Pearly Gates neck. 🤘👍

FYI, the Korean ones from the 90's have a sort of swirly headstock inlay. The Japanese ones still have the split diamond, that's connected in the middle, so it looks like a 'lightning bolt S'.

Got three of them, 2 Les Paul Customs from the early/mid 80's and one Standard from '89 or '90 (truss rod cover didn't have 'side thorns' ).
Love 'em, although I did replace all the electronics, bridge and replaced the nuts with Tusq versions.
2 of them are DiMarzio loaded now, one (my #1... Randy Rhoads LPC from '83) has arrived at an awesome Duncan combo after many pickup swaps; Custom/59 Hybrid bridge and Pearly Gates neck. 🤘👍

FYI, the Korean ones from the 90's have a sort of swirly headstock inlay. The Japanese ones still have the split diamond, that's connected in the middle, so it looks like a 'lightning bolt S'.
The one I have in mind look just like the Gibson Les Paul Custom with the split diamond.

This is a pic with all 3 of mine. Notice the fully split diamonds on the 2 Customs; indicating they're early/mid 80's.

And this is the 'swirly' inlay of the later ones, and they also changed to a 3-screw truss rod cover. Eventhough some of those were made in Japan too apparently, but...if yours has a 2 screw truss rod cover AND the split diamond inlay, it's 99% surely made in Japan. These went for like $400-500 10-15 years ago and I never cared for them; also the way too light rosewood FB didn't look good on a Custom. But apparently Duff McKagan finds them good enough... :dunno:
1709901312236.png
1709901546510.png

Attachments

• Marshall wall.JPG
    Marshall wall.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The only thing making me look more into Orville’s or Greco’s is the lack of an ebony board. @Speeddemon, do you know if Burny ever made any LPC’s with ebony boards? Orville only did it on some of them, same with Greco (and I think the Greco’s might be ebonol).

Eventually I’d like to have something from all the MIJ LP companies. Those older 70’s Greco’s are constantly pulling at my wallet.

The only thing making me look more into Orville’s or Greco’s is the lack of an ebony board. @Speeddemon, do you know if Burny ever made any LPC’s with ebony boards? Orville only did it on some of them, same with Greco (and I think the Greco’s might be ebonol).

Eventually I’d like to have something from all the MIJ LP companies. Those older 70’s Greco’s are constantly pulling at my wallet.
This auction claimed it:
https://guitarcolonel.com/products/burny-les-paul-custom-1980s-1?variant=40964370399422

but I have my doubts. Could've been darkened rosewood, like on my Burny LPC's. To my knowledge Burny never did ebony fb's, but I'm not 100% certain.
Your best bet would be an Orville or Orville by Gibson. Be aware though, that Orville used a lot of photo-flame veneer tops on other models; when it's too glossy and good looking (like AAAA+ flame), but has no depth, visually, those are usually the tell-tales for photo-veneers.

This auction claimed it:
https://guitarcolonel.com/products/burny-les-paul-custom-1980s-1?variant=40964370399422

but I have my doubts. Could've been darkened rosewood, like on my Burny LPC's. To my knowledge Burny never did ebony fb's, but I'm not 100% certain.
Your best bet would be an Orville or Orville by Gibson. Be aware though, that Orville used a lot of photo-flame veneer tops on other models; when it's too glossy and good looking (like AAAA+ flame), but has no depth, visually, those are usually the tell-tales for photo-veneers.

Hahahaha I actually have one of those Orville’s, if it ever cracks I’m just going to refinish the whole thing. It’s one of my best sounding guitars.

IMG_3320.jpeg

This auction claimed it:

1450 for a Burny LPC. That’s some fine drugs they’re using. I know prices have gone up but the last one I got (late 2000’s) was 550 plus shipping from Japan. 1450 can suck it.

@RevDrucifer Yep, that sure is one. 😅

Many years ago, when Ebay was still fun and relevant, some collector on the west coast of France was selling a whole bunch of the higher end/higher specced ones, but he asked a pretty penny and had a lot of photo-flames as well.

His nicest higher end Burny's and Greco's typically went for more than a Gibson at the time (like >4k).

1450 for a Burny LPC. That’s some fine drugs they’re using. I know prices have gone up but the last one I got (late 2000’s) was 550 plus shipping from Japan. 1450 can suck it.
FYI, while I agree the price is high for a late 80's one (S shaped diamond), it's an Australian site. So $1450 AUD equals roughly USD $950.

Back