EMG81: love/hate relationship

They Changed the Preamp in 2015 or 2017. that's the main cause for the newer ones sounding different.
I haven't tried out the post 2017 ones yet. My ZW set is from around 2007/08, and it's already very different from the non-solder less black bottom. Can't wait to try out the tan bottom ones.

I haven't tried out the post 2017 ones yet. My ZW set is from around 2007/08, and it's already very different from the non-solder less black bottom. Can't wait to try out the tan bottom ones.
My set of 81/85 from 1996 is the soldered version. they sound very different from even my anniversary sets i got in 2006.....before they did the chrome covers as a full time feature.

you don't mean solderless, you mean without a quick connect (plug/jack) at the pickups themselfs. Solderless is about the pots etc. ...

you don't mean solderless, you mean without a quick connect (plug/jack) at the pickups themselfs. Solderless is about the pots etc. ...
No. Because the Solderless didn't come out until the mid 2000's. I have a set of hardwired EMG's in my 1996 custom shop les paul & they destroy every other set of EMG's i have.

The new ones sound bloated and shitty. Theres no amount of EQing that will get that tone to go away.
i didn't mean you specifically. If it's mid 90s of course it's not the "quick connectless" ones.

The earliest EMGs with the cable coming out of the Epoxy are not the "non solderless". (There where tan and then black ones). I would call them hardwired or without connector(/quickconnect)?
It's NOT clear what SBlue is refering to.

Did the solderless coming mid 2000s??? really change the sound? Will Pickups coming from 2001 sound different in a guitar wired for EMGs since 90s really sound different to Pickups from the 90s

i didn't mean you specifically. If it's mid 90s of course it's not the "quick connectless" ones.

The earliest EMGs with the cable coming out of the Epoxy are not the "non solderless". (There where tan and then black ones). I would call them hardwired or without connector(/quickconnect)?
It's NOT clear what SBlue is refering to.

Did the solderless coming mid 2000s??? really change the sound? Will Pickups coming from 2001 sound different in a guitar wired for EMGs since 90s really sound different to Pickups from the 90s
Not sure if you saw my post, but in my experience the most recent ‘22 sounds like crap, the ‘16 sounds better but not great and the ‘03 and older scream. FWIW my ‘00 is solderless.

Not sure if you saw my post, but in my experience the most recent ‘22 sounds like crap, the ‘16 sounds better but not great and the ‘03 and older scream. FWIW my ‘00 is solderless.
yes, but already forgotten. I reread it:
So how different are the 00's, 03's, and 88's?

yes, but already forgotten. I reread it:
So how different are the 00's, 03's, and 88's?
I would say in broad strokes they are comparable and as a grouping much better than the later ones, but I haven't tried anything between '03 and '16. Some insist that wired or tan backs are the way to go, but others say pre-2017, or "old logo" etc.

I would say in broad strokes they are comparable and as a grouping much better than the later ones, but I haven't tried anything between '03 and '16. Some insist that wired or tan backs are the way to go, but others say pre-2017, or "old logo" etc.
yeah, the OP-amp obsolence is documented, so there definitely had to be a change.

I also go old logo, but haven't done direct comparisons.
You know how it is with music gear hype.
There is no real documented evidence that there are difference before that, but some guy on a forum says there is a difference and it kind of becomes public "knowledge".
But there is no real proof and it's all just hear say in most cases.
Maybe two EMGs from the same year have the same variance?
There are also quite a lot of fake EMGs out there, too...

I think it's possible, since you have the same with old and new duncans for example but it might be also all just BS

yeah, the OP-amp obsolence is documented, so there definitely had to be a change.

I also go old logo, but haven't done direct comparisons.
You know how it is with music gear hype.
There is no real documented evidence that there are difference before that, but some guy on a forum says there is a difference and it kind of becomes public "knowledge".
Maybe two EMGs from the same year have the same variance?
There are also quite a lot of fake EMGs out there, too...

I think it's possible, since you have the same with old and new duncans for example but it might be also all just BS
EMG Confirmed they changed the Preamp. It was even on their website at one time. Google is your friend.

While I can't say it's conclusive, I've found a distinct difference beyond general parts tolerances, etc., at least with what I have. So I have enough "proof" for me anyways and I will never go beyond '03 at this point unless I can confirm. I believe @SBlue got some tan backs, would love to hear his take.

EMG Confirmed they changed the Preamp. It was even on their website at one time. Google is your friend.
yes i know that!
Can you read?:

it's more about the allegedly changes from the 80s just right before the preamp changes

Any EMG guys try the Fishman classics?
I couldn’t get on with the moderns at all, and I’m not totally sold on the classics, but they are by far my favorite actives so far. They don’t “sound” overly active, they just “act” active if that makes any sense

I personally think an 81 with more bottom end kinda defeats the purpose of an 81 being an 81. I've always felt that if you want a fat bottom-end from your pickup, you're better off with almost anything but an 81.

That's part of why I prefer the Fishman Fluences. They've got a slightly steeper bottom-end rolloff which IMO translates into a pickup that beats the 81 at its own game. JMO, of course.

Back