Black chassis vintage 30s

MetalJim

Guys I bought a used 4x12 early to mid 80s AMPEG cabinet for 75 bucks in the Fleamarket in good condition I opened it and found these speakers, I have never seen these type of vintage 30s and there's very few information about black, chassis V30s, are they something different do the company was trying new materials, they have something special, by the way the cabinets sounds very good.
found some old adds were they sold this black V30s for a ton of money a few years back.

someone knows more about them?
thanks

IMG_5030.jpg
IMG_5031.jpg

I had a quad a while back. The guy I got them from got them out of an Ampeg 4x12. I should have kept them. They sounded great.

I had quad of those in old Engl cab, 8 ohm, T4139. Best V30 version without any doubt.
Check out if there is any printing on the magnet.

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpeg
    IMG_1509.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 12
Don't quote me exactly but I emailed Celestion this question many years ago and their response was that the black frames were just a request for purely aesthetic reasons by an unnamed OEM manufacturer. No exclusive T number for these units and it's standard V30 spec. This matches other posts I've read here and there over the years in that they sound like standard V30s and not an offshoot like the Mesa/Marshall ones.

Edit; bubucci just proved me wrong a moment ago lol

May 7, 1992- damn, these are early. Bet they sounded killer.
I had a pair from 89. Never knew they had a non Marshall label V30 that early. Worst honky mid V30 known to man. I had high hopes for my Naylor that I had at the time.

Guys, the black V-30's are Celestions answer for when you start a soul-metal band. Black with gold lettering haaaaaaaay.

These will be T4297 V30s. The only V30 type I myself haven't been able to track down. I have the 8 Ohm variant which is the T4139. Nobody really seems to know what the deal is with the black frame V30s. There is a myth that these were Mesa OEMs but I believe that to be false. I've never seen or heard of a Mesa cab with these in it.
The 8 Ohms can be found in early 90s Hughes&Kettners, Johnsons and possibly Engls. The 16 Ohm variants seem to have been installed by Ampeg (I've heard this more than once and this thread is further evidence of that) and possibly Hiwatt cabs but I'm not sure of that. The one I saw may have had them transplanted into it at some point.

Great score! Congrats and if you ever want to sell one... do message me, please!

Back