39 years later, i finally changed strings right!!!!

romanianreaper

In what used to be the equivalent of a Death March, prison assault, or hot tub adventure with Vinnie Vincent, I actually had an easy time changing strings and imagine that, they are staying in tune better.

I watched a video on a guy changing strings on a Les Paul and finally was easy. Pull slack 1 to 2 frets and start winding, keeping string under string end with each wrap.

I feel like an idiot for just getting this but hey, better late than never. I used to despise doing this and wasn't too bad today.

Wrap them like BB King for better stability

IMG_0711.jpeg

Only string changes i hate are on a 12.
Couldn't take it anymore and got rid of both guitars

When i get the urge i just go to GC and play one for a half hour. Urge gone.

Also in almost 50 yrs i never bothered to loop wrapped them like the scumback video.

I did the Floyd on the Wolfgang first, lol.
Floyd's are easy after a while, just stick with it and you'll be able to do new setups with ease.
There are many "tricks" you can use with a floyd/edge to make things easier, like when doing maintenance or mods to the guitar.

One wrap over the top of the hole string end runs through, the rest of the wraps under that hole. If anyone tries to show you that stupid "luthiers locking wrap" you punch them. Play some steel guitar it has a lot of strings to change. You get good or no play steel guitar. Next challenge: restring bigsby guitar.

It’s the vintage Fender tuners that, to me, are the most challenging. For me, one tip is to not stick the high E down into the hole. Just straight thru the slot. Then leave a lot of extra string for strings 1-4 and a little extra for the 6th string. Do the loop over the string for the ‘pre-wrap’ and the rest under. The first two need a lot of string just to grab the post enough but the 3rd and 4th need extra string so you can wind it down the post enough to get a good break angle over the nut. Then wind the A ‘normally’ but wind the low E up the post so it doesn’t have too much break angle over the nut.

If you have string trees for the third or even the fourth you don’t really need the extra string but it will have less tension on the tree itself and might stay in tune better.

The extra string does not make it go out of tune. That’s a myth ime.

It’s the vintage Fender tuners that, to me, are the most challenging. For me, one tip is to not stick the high E down into the hole. Just straight thru the slot. Then leave a lot of extra string for strings 1-4 and a little extra for the 6th string. Do the loop over the string for the ‘pre-wrap’ and the rest under. The first two need a lot of string just to grab the post enough but the 3rd and 4th need extra string so you can wind it down the post enough to get a good break angle over the nut. Then wind the A ‘normally’ but wind the low E up the post so it doesn’t have too much break angle over the nut.

If you have string trees for the third or even the fourth you don’t really need the extra string but it will have less tension on the tree itself and might stay in tune better.

The extra string does not make it go out of tune. That’s a myth ime.
Are those the tuners with the slot in the top? I had those on my Clapton Strat and made string changed brutal.

Are those the tuners with the slot in the top? I had those on my Clapton Strat and made string changed brutal.
Yes, those. And they are probably easier than any tuner to change since you don't have to stick it carefully through a small sideways hole AND you can yank them out with a quickness when they are broke. You stick the string end straight down into the hole and bend it 90 degrees and do the usual wraps under it. I can change one of those in about 90 seconds including fumbling with the package as long as it isn't broken at the saddle with the ball end stuck in the trem block. I have done it many times in between a song at gigs because I used break a lot of strings playing strats.

Yeah there is a slot but there is also a hole in the middle. I think you’re supposed to stick the string down into the hole, bend it so it comes out one of the slots, and then loop it over at least once. But the high E keeps popping out of the hole, even the B string can do it too.

Done right there are no little nubs or anything and it looks nice and tidy but they can be a pita.

Last edited:
Back