Phone Mic vs Properly Micced cab- a realization- Wizard Hell Razor

I'm team Cell-phone clip all the way. Not to hate on guys using mic's but I find a lot of them are fizzy, grainy and not pleasing at all if not done properly. Hate all you want, but a proper cell phone clip paints a better overall picture IMO.
100%.
Both methods have a plethora of shittty examples, but I hate most of the mic'd tones I've heard for the same reason. Too much scratchy, fizzy and grainy high end. I'd never play an amp with my ear to the speaker, so IDGAF whether its the 'true' sound of the amps tone, it's not practical or representative of what I'd experience playing the amp in the room. I'm talking about the usual Youtube and Soundcloud clips people post just to demo an amps tone, not top level pro recordings, but even then with all the best gear it can still sound shite, ie: '72 Seasons' comes easily to mind.

100%.
Both methods have a plethora of shittty examples, but I hate most of the mic'd tones I've heard for the same reason. Too much scratchy, fizzy and grainy high end. I'd never play an amp with my ear to the speaker, so IDGAF whether its the 'true' sound of the amps tone, it's not practical or representative of what I'd experience playing the amp in the room. I'm talking about the usual Youtube and Soundcloud clips people post just to demo an amps tone, not top level pro recordings, but even then with all the best gear it can still sound shite, ie: '72 Seasons' comes easily to mind.
With the idea being mostly about where the mic is, thoughts on a normal mic but further back in the room?

tbh I don't care how its achieved, but whatever produces the best and most accurate sound of being in the room. I just want to hear what it would sound like if I sat and played that amp in the room. Phone is just the easiest method to record and post, but I still tend to prefer a good phone sound than most mic'd up tones from amateurs. Using Mics always seems to req's EQing and processing, so then what is the actual accuracy of them anyway. Plus the mics themselves have their own inherent EQ.

Phone clips have a certain fun factor.

They are typically stereo, massively compressed, ambient/roomy with rolled-off highs. Basically the same thing that's often done to recorded drums to make them sound bombastic and exciting. This is not a coincidence, we're hardwired to enjoy this exaggerated sound unless you've never listened to rock music.

But all this seasoning doesn't make it a 'truer' sound than close miking. It can't - the signal is being severely processed so by definition it is very different from the source. Having a personal preference is a different story altogether.

I also think it comes down to your monitoring environment. Close miked clips in headphones can be very dry and confronting if you're not used to it. Use some speakers, stand back a few metres - instant 'in the room' sound.

They are typically stereo, massively compressed, ambient/roomy with rolled-off highs. Basically the same thing that's often done to recorded drums to make them sound bombastic and exciting. This is not a coincidence, we're hardwired to enjoy this exaggerated sound unless you've never listened to rock music.

But all this seasoning doesn't make it a 'truer' sound than close miking. It can't - the signal is being severely processed so by definition it is very different from the source. Having a personal preference is a different story altogether.

I also think it comes down to your monitoring environment. Close miked clips in headphones can be very dry and confronting if you're not used to it. Use some speakers, stand back a few metres - instant 'in the room' sound.

Interesting. Great point of view.

I feel like The rolled off highs act like everyone not standing directly in line with the speaker. That and everyone here that has tinnitus it helps lol.

Back