Does any pedal get close to the Echoplex that EVH used?

Playing through an original Echoplex is something every guitar player should experience at some point. I’d never bring mine on stage though. Not the same, but the vintage memory man sounds lovely.

Two separate issues; the delay/echo part and the preamp/boost part.

IMO/IME, the echo part is easy enough. It won’t sound like a real EP-3 but nothing does. I agree they are magic but…imo the echo isn’t the thing here. It’s the preamp.

I remember reading how the EP-3 changed the phase a tiny bit (probably frequency dependent) and the Secret Preamp tries to emulate that. I just remember the one I had was very finicky, some amps it enhanced and others it ruined. In the end I got sick of inconsistent results and sold it. But I should admit more and more I’m a straight in guy.

FWIW, I use an El Cap with the preamp off (or at least true bypass, I can’t remember…whatever the least intrusive is) into a cranked Marshall. The echo is close enough and true bypass doesn’t mess with the tone.

Only had one EP-3 but they are a sound to be experienced. Indescribable tho.

Yeah, slap back is cool and all but it ain’t the sweet verb on Scuttle Buttin’ A lick I might add, that people have actually heard..🙃

Back