Rig Talk Rat Pedal -- Sold Out !!!

OK ...... question for you guys .....

you want me to keep it stock except for a few clipping diode options ..... or do you want me to turn it into a " Uber Rat " like the EQD Life Pedal ?

I'm voting for the latter ..... this thing smokes ....

Maybe try the Motorola "metal can" version of the LM308 in there.

I found some at smallbearelectronics a while back. (currently 85 in stock)

Definitely has a sound, apart from the original chip.

https://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/ic-ua308hc/

5KMpQnd.jpg

I could design the board to implement those cans ...... Smallbear still has 85 of them in stock .
I used an IC socket on my board, and auditioned all the chip versions that will work in that circuit.

-Motorola LM308AH (Motorola NOS metal can; soldered into 8-pin socket to be used in place of chip)
-LM308N (National Semiconductor)
- LM301AN (National Semiconductor)
-TL071CP (Texas Instruments)
- LM741CN (Texas Instruments)
- NE5534P (Texas Instruments)

you want me to keep it stock except for a few clipping diode options ..... or do you want me to turn it into a " Uber Rat " like the EQD Life Pedal ?

I wouldnt want it too extreme. Just "More" of the RAT sound that its famous for. Thats my want anyways.

Can it do the more typical RAT sounds ?

I love fuzzz so I like both. But the RAT is a classic. The FAT RAT I liked better than most of the other pedals based on the circuit.

I definitely wouldn't mind some different options instead of a direct clone. Multiple clipping options would be killer. I already have a great fuzz that I like with a variable octave but I'm always a 'more the merrier' type when it comes to pedals - I'd load it down.

Holy doom, that thing sounds like it’s about to explode! Never heard of it. Pretty cool. Could you have a pedal with the option of rat & life pedal?

so as far as the circuit goes .... I've decided to keep it very stock ..... with the addition of a presence control pot and a switch for three different kinds of clipping diodes ....

I've got the graphics almost done ..... I'm stuck on the fonts to use ....... as well what to name it ...

" RT RAT " ????

The Rat (or Rat II?) is a real cool pedal, one of the few where it seems they got it right the first time… erm, maybe the second.

All the mods out there, seem just different flavors rather than improvements.

I built a Life pedal clone a few years back and used a metal can lm308, I think the addition of the green ringer is great, turns it into an absolute doom machine (as if it isn’t already), rivals the boss fz2. Super grindy. I just used schottky diodes in the green ringer, I think germanium were spec’d for that part? Seems a waste of germanium.

I also bought a modern production rat with the op07 op amp and when used the way I was using it (gained out into a crunchy amp) I didn’t hear much difference. But maybe in lower gain applications it’s more noticeable.

I haven’t used either in a while, I’ll have to dig it out of the pile.

The Rat (or Rat II?) is a real cool pedal, one of the few where it seems they got it right the first time… erm, maybe the second.

All the mods out there, seem just different flavors rather than improvements.

I built a Life pedal clone a few years back and used a metal can lm308, I think the addition of the green ringer is great, turns it into an absolute doom machine (as if it isn’t already), rivals the boss fz2. Super grindy. I just used schottky diodes in the green ringer, I think germanium were spec’d for that part? Seems a waste of germanium.

I also bought a modern production rat with the op07 op amp and when used the way I was using it (gained out into a crunchy amp) I didn’t hear much difference. But maybe in lower gain applications it’s more noticeable.

I haven’t used either in a while, I’ll have to dig it out of the pile.
yes ... the original Green Ringers used Germanium Diodes ..... I used Germanium in my Green Ringer .... it's quickly become one of my favorite pedals

1714416676526.jpeg

1714416707898.jpeg

yes ... the original Green Ringers used Germanium Diodes ..... I used Germanium in my Green Ringer .... it's quickly become one of my favorite pedals
I think I had socketed mine and tried a few, I don’t know much about germaniums but I had a couple Russian ones and a couple American ones, forget the numbers, but the schottkys seemed to offer the most pronounced and aggressive octave effect.

I remember reading about some germanium diodes have high leakage and this reducing the octave effect so maybe I just had some leaky diodes.

I think I had socketed mine and tried a few, I don’t know much about germaniums but I had a couple Russian ones and a couple American ones, forget the numbers, but the schottkys seemed to offer the most pronounced and aggressive octave effect.

I remember reading about some germanium diodes have high leakage and this reducing the octave effect so maybe I just had some leaky diodes.
Next one I build ..... I'll have to experiment and try some different ones out

It’s your name on it my man—I trust your ears. Your Chiron is on my board now 👊

Back