1979 Marshall 2203. Fair asking price?

1meanplexi

Sure seems like the waters have muddied up on these things. I have (the above mentioned amp) and was reaching out to you guys on a fair asking price. Not only the head, I would also include a Legendary tones hot mod V2. Head shell is in good condition. No mods done. Thanks in advance.

It depends on how fast you need to move it. These days I've seen Metro Plexi replicas listed for north of $2000.00 are they actually selling for that price? I don't know...

Plenty of 75-79 Marshall's at the 2k price range and above.

Do not look at Reverb sales for real world prices. Reverb is always inflated compared to what you should pay in person. I bought a '79 2203 about six months ago for $1200. People have been saying the price of older Marshalls are skyrocketing for the past like three years, because they spend so much time online. Yet I've never spent more than I did on that 2203, and that's not the first I've had from that year at that price or lower in recent history. You could likely fairly ask $1500, IMO. I laugh and scroll past all the people out there asking $2000 and other absurd numbers.

$2000 if recently re-capped with ARS or LCR and the tolex/logo is in great shape. Untouched and with no mods, $1800. A great deal if you want to move it quickly would be $1600 range.

Do not look at Reverb sales for real world prices. Reverb is always inflated compared to what you should pay in person. I bought a '79 2203 about six months ago for $1200. People have been saying the price of older Marshalls are skyrocketing for the past like three years, because they spend so much time online. Yet I've never spent more than I did on that 2203, and that's not the first I've had from that year at that price or lower in recent history. You could likely fairly ask $1500, IMO. I laugh and scroll past all the people out there asking $2000 and other absurd numbers.
Next time you see a JMP2203 for $1200 please call me lol

There are a few crazy nuts putting 79 50W's in the 2500 range. I will say it's not unrealistic to pay that much for an absolutely mint Fawn 79 2204 that's been recently re-capped, but that's few and far between.

Any stock clean JCM/JMP is going for 2K; whenever I see one at GC.com it's gone within 24hrs. The one I sold did have new ARS caps, but also had a previous tube loop. But was returned to stock. Lasted about 2 weeks before I sold it for $1975 shipped.

8DFBB2ED-4692-4B90-A69A-CACD23278DCF.jpeg

"Okay look yeah, they are selling for $1800. But I gotta send it to my tech, probably get some new caps, and you know...it's a loud amp takes up a lot of space in my shop. Chum says a lot of guys now aren't even using these tube amps anymore. Best I can do is $500"

Any stock clean JCM/JMP is going for 2K; whenever I see one at GC.com it's gone within 24hrs. The one I sold did have new ARS caps, but also had a previous tube loop. But was returned to stock. Lasted about 2 weeks before I sold it for $1975 shipped.
I have bought and sold four late '70s 2203/2204s in the past four years, $1200 being the most I've spent. Yeah, things online sell for more than in person. Just camp out on Craigslist and be willing to make a small drive, and someone save a lot of money.

I have bought and sold four late '70s 2203/2204s in the past four years, $1200 being the most I've spent. Yeah, things online sell for more than in person. Just camp out on Craigslist and be willing to make a small drive, and someone save a lot of money.
Oh I've listed everything on Mpls Craigslist; and here. I've had some decent trade offers for it on C list; had a LP custom offer and a Suhr Modern. But needed the cash. Sure, you may get lucky but right now, in this inflated market(we'll see if it goes back down) facts are what they are. Everything's up 80% or more. If I go back 4 years?? Oh I've got a laundry list of scores....82 2204 for 799, SLO for 1800, D60 for 550, at least 6 Charvel 08/09 USAs for 600 or less...etc etc. Until this last year most I paid for any vintage Marshall (stock) was 1100.

Man, last time I bought a 2203 (a 78) was for $550 back in the mid, later 90’s. Also bought an early 90’s Plexi reissue for $400. Miss those days. Late 70’s heads were common and cheap in SoCal. I’ve since found alternatives that sound as good to me that are still great deals. Couldn’t say no in the last few years to a 50 watt ‘75 Marshall I came across. It was over 1000 which was the most I would want to spend but haven’t regretted it. ‘75 isn’t exactly a magic year but this particular one sounded really good. Would never pay more than 1500 (actually 1200 for me) for a JMP or JCM MV model. Would rather get a used ceriatone or build a kit for fun.

Back