20th XTC popping sound issue/loop issue fixed

RG955TT":wva1ruat said:
Picking up amp today! Was several bad solder joints that were causing intermittant issues. Low dough fix so hopefully all is well and I'm back in business.

Three things I wish all highline amp makers would have on their amps...send and return volumes for the loop so you could interface any kind of pedal of fx unit and still have plenty of volume/output, dual switchable masters for volume bump for solos, and a deep control for the really deep low end of the entire amp. If my 20th had these three things it would be the perfect amp for me. Seems even all of these high end amps (and I have several) still to me as a working player have some sort of shortcoming. I'm sure there are reasons, but for me I'm just sayin...my 2 cents. My Diezels are close but even those have some comprimises, but I still gravitate to the Bogners for the best tone (rich, thick in the lower mids etc etc.)

Ya man, everyone's got their wants and wishes lists - overall, I like the way you ended your last paragragh. Bogner's got game in the tonal department no doubt. But to have an amp that has EVERYTHING, hell, then it'd be a sway to the simpler 1 channel amps (read: Mako, Marsha's, etc). No one thing will every please everyone. And being everything to everybody means you're nothing to no one. As for the depth of the amp - KT77's would add some bottom end OOOMPH to the 20thA. I've had ZERO problems with my head, and had it BLASTED in Sunday for about 6 hours, maybe more. The louder it got, the sweeter and more angelic it sounded. The natural break up in Blue was rivalling that of ANY vintage Marshall, or modded wannabe. I find having only 1 volume per channel the bomb - and I really think I can get this amp ANYWHERE soncially with the use of NEW/OLD, VINTAGE/MODERN, A/AB, FULL/HALF, Excursion, etc. This head - is THE head. Period.

Glad you got yours sorted out - WHY there were shit solder points on the board is something I think you oughta discuss with Charley. Heads for this price? There's NO excuse for that lousy oversight.

Get on with it - rock out, crank it up, make it red hot, and kill it....

Peace,
V.

Yah, I know what your saying but still, the loop thing is pretty straight forward and I saw on the Bogner forum that Charley is trying to help someone adjust the loop so it works better with pedals...well with all the great pedals available today you'd think adding a send volume control and a bigger range on the return would be a no brainer...anyway, I'm brainstorming that maybe I will get a used headshell and put this 20th in that to do gigs with...I like the tone that much. I assume the 20th will bolt right into a std XTC headshell as the chassis is the same size?

As far as the solder joint thing goes, both the tech and I think the amp may have taken a shot during shipping that may have caused it. Then i freaked out a bit because I powered it up and clean was fine but super low output on red and blue. Took the back off and thought let's throw a new tube in V2 and voila, all is good again. V2 is not a cathode follower position is it? Suprised a relativily new 12ax7 would go bad that fast.

Doesn't matter, pretty cheap to fix and rocked out for hours last night. This amp just feels and sounds so right to me that I may not be able to control myself and might have to find a way to use it for gigs after all (but not in the white headshell that's for sure). thanks V for the support and help throughout this.

No, bought it used and UPS banged it around a bit in shipping. $115.00 fix so I can live with it and no problems since I got it back, sounds fantastic. Still waffling on using it, my Elmwood, or my Diezel Herbert for my band. My Einstein is too gainy and lacks low mid meat even compared to my Elmwood which when set right kills and is currently my band amp. I did find a good deal on an almost new headshell complete with grills for this 20th or my 101B so the options are all mine....decisions decisions.

Today I have the same problem. Sorry for my English but did you mean that what the tech had fixed is bad soldering contacts?

Thanks!

Ray

Back