2A people, long guns

rsm

I've been waiting for a Sig Cross in 277 Fury for what seems like an eternity. Putting this idea on hold, besides haven't found any source for the ammo either.

Deciding on a long range caliber is also a trade-off, currently leaning toward 300 Norma Magnum as my first choice, but I'm thinking it would be great to have interchangeable caliber options...

my current long gun is dated, as it's a 24" barrel 7.62 NATO, then there's my Barrett M99 in 50 BMG;...looking for something in between and more modern caliber.

The Barrett MRAD is at the top of my list, anyone have one? what caliber? thoughts? do you have more than one caliber, how is the barrel swap?

There's a new MRAD in 300 PRC available locally, but that caliber doesn't really interest me: 338 Lapua or 338 Norma or 6.5 Creedmoor

One of my buddies has a MRAD in 338 Lapua, but its the non-barrel-swap out model so I have no info on the swap aside from what I have seen about them online. Its a really solid gun, does everything really well and should last 10 forevers, except of course the barrel, but it is a pig of a gun compared to the Sig Cross, which is smaller chassis, nimble solid shooting gun. The Barrett feels as heavy as it looks, its not nimble at all. I really think these are 2 different animals, rather than the Barrett being a replacement for the Sig.
The MRAD I shot was only at 1100 yds, its not even a challenge for a 338 Lapua, which is a mile- shooting gun all day. Ive never shot at a mile, but the guy who owns the one I shot has landed shots at a mile with it enough times that Im not sure he keeps track of it anymore.
Honestly if I could start over in distance capable stuff, I would take the 300PRC. Its a better flying bullet than the 338LM, but the 338LM has been around longer and has a much better ammo selection and availability. If you wanted lighter and nimble, Im pretty sure the Sig Cross is pretty available in 6.5 Creedmoor which is a great round too but not for near as far out there as the 300PRC or 338LM. The Norma I have no experience with at all and have no buddies that own one, so not sure aside from the data and intel that is on the web about it.. I know its a well established round in the sniper guys stable, but buying that ammo is gonna suck from both the price and availability angles. None of those guys pay for their ammo, we buy it for them.. 6.5 Creedmoor you can get all day all over the place for much less money.
Not sure if this helps or not :LOL:

Last edited:
Thanks @JTyson It helps! I'm rethinking possibility of the 300 PRC.

Even with the MRAD, I'd eventually get a Cross too; but really want it for the 277 Fury round.

Some of the comparisons of 300 PRC vs 300 Norma give the edge to the Norma rounds at distance. There's a new 300 PRC and 6.5 Creedmoor available locally; no ETA on the availability of a 300 Norma.

Cheers!

Well they are both pricey, but one is harder to find, so the price goes up :aww:
I think the Norma will smoke a barrel faster too, it takes a larger action to accommodate the round also. The performance advantage is the velocity, but its also the thing that takes a big toll on barrel life. The PRC is not really easy on barrels either, but its better than the Norma by a good bit. Recoil is considerably harsher on the Norma from what Ive read, but the Norma is capable of more distance than the PRC.
Its a tough call, we tend to figure what the longest shots will be and find the best cost analysis, BC's, barrel life and recoil/weight factors and work from there. If you want to go further out than a mile, its gonna get real expensive and the recoil is gonna hammer you on a day where you may send a hundred rds downrange. A 6.5 Creedmoor you can shoot all day with no problems out to 1500 yds, maybe further if you have the skillset to do so.
I only know a handful of people that shoot ELR, and half of them are running .416 Barrett's. The guns are really not practical for anything but ELR due to the sheer size of the weapons, but they can land shots on a 4'X4' steel plate at 2 miles (!!!)

Last edited:
Reactions: rsm
well my thoughts of MRAD are on hold; Sweetwater dropped the Marshall 1959HW by $1000, so there goes half my MRAD budget...

and I'm holding out waiting to see if they drop the Mesa JP-2C by $1000 this Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years season. :D

:LOL: :LOL:
I understand completely..
My Christmas present this year is an all titanium Q Thunder chicken suppressor!
Unfortunately the paperwork won't go through for another 4 months so Im stuck in Form4 purgatory :bash:

Last edited:
Back