2nd Greco Les Paul Score this Month

The best Les Paul I ever played was a 70s DeLuxe "clownburst" that was beat to shit, but it just had "it", like an idiot I went home to sleep on it and when I went back to the store the next day it was gone.
I hate that. I missed out an a killer V and an ESP doing that.
Not that I need anymore guitars...
But I'd like to get a V and 335 to round out my Gibson collection, matching the magnet set on my fridge. :)

I've been looking off and on and I can't find a Greco with that kind of flame in the top, is that a real flame maple top or a veneer ? If it's real I think you scored the only one that exists. Great score !
Pretty sure it’s veneer. I think you’d have to go with an EGF-120 or 180, but those are super pricey, as the came with the Dry Z pickups which can sell for $1k on the low side on they’re own.

Regarding Greco in the 80s, I think they made smart moves and did things that made tonal differences but save money on some of the more cosmetic features. No one ever said the tone is in the nibs. Nitro sounds better if applied thin. No current Gibson has a thin application of nitro. I think you’d be hard pressed to hear the difference between flame maple cap vs veneer and plain maple cap. The long tenon and ABR are a must for me. Whatever they were doing caused a chain of events at Gibson. Gibson commissioned them for the Orville series starting in the late 80s and I think even motivated them to start releasing resissues. The ore-historical started in 88 I think, but were poor IMHO. No tenon, just really a half baked attempt at putting together a vintage spec guitar. It wasn’t until later in the 90s when Gibson started putting out custom shop reissues

Last edited:
I hate that. I missed out an a killer V and an ESP doing that.
Not that I need anymore guitars...
But I'd like to get a V and 335 to round out my Gibson collection, matching the magnet set on my fridge. :)
You have no idea how many times this has happened to me, ALWAYS with Les Pauls too. I passed on an early 70s goldtop that had a headstock break and a Kahler on it, but it played awesome and sounded great, I could have restored that one (at least the Kahler portion, can't un-break the headstock ! lol), an early 80s alpine white (that had creamed out) Custom that had 2nd stamped in the headstock (come to think of it, that 70s deluxe clownie had 2nd stamped in it too) and a few other examples...

Back