4 cable method and JCM 800 + Captor X

Manuel

Hi!

I've a Marshall JCM 800 100 W Lead Series without send and return and Two Notes Captor X with Torpedo Remote and Wall of Sound
I use them only in my home recording studio. My DAW is Studio One 6 Pro.
The sound is good but I need to add some effects on my RIG.

I'd like to configure a 4 cable method for my guitar RIG.
My problem is that the Send and Return are not present in my JCM 800.

I ask to you if the wiring diagrams detailed below can be adopted in order to overcome the limit of not having send and return on the JCM 800.
If yes, which of the two is correct?

The next question is: which multieffect would you recommend me to buy?

Thank you very much!

Manuel

Attachments

• Config 1.jpg
    Config 1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Config 2.jpg
    Config 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 74
Good afternoon Manuel, Thanks for getting in touch. Both scenarios would work, however it depends where you want your spacial FX (Reverb / Delay) in the signal chain - for a traditional Amp Setup, we would suggest these come after your amplifier but before your cabinet as per Config 2, however you may also get some good results using Config 1 providing this is to your taste. In addition, with your multi FX unit, you will need to ensure that the send can output an Instrument level signal as not to push your JCM preamp too far. Let us know if you have any follow-on questions. Thanks!

Hi Ross, thank you very much for your answer!
I was thinking of buying a Line 6 HX stomp.
The user manual says "Each send and return pair can be set for instrument (for inserting stomp boxes) or line-level operation".

On the basis of your experience, what is the most used configuration in order to add effects with Captor x?
Thank you again!

Last edited:
Hi Manuel,

Thanks for getting back to me. Great! That is a super suggestion / option and we have seen a number of users utilising the HX Stomp in line with the Captor X. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

First of all I need to properly connect The Captor X to the audio interface.
The 2 XLR output of Captor X send a line signal?
My audio interface is a Presonus Studio 26c with 2 input (left and rigth) mic/instruments/line.
I should connect the 2 XLR out from Captor X to 2 TRS line input of Studio 26c?
It is correct?
Thank you!

Good morning Manuel,

Thanks for getting back to us. Captor X indeed sends a line level signal and as such you should connect these to Line connectors / switch line level on, on your interface. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

Kind regards

Ross

Back