4x12 Cab for 2203 and SLP 1959 clone

BesaMoogie

Hi,
I am currently building an TAD Kit non MV SLP clone and I am thinking about which cab would be a good match for the amp. As I am planning to build a 2203 clone as well, it should be a good match with both of those amps. So which direction should I look?

So far, I was thinking of something like a JCM 800 4x12, but they came with various speakers so it is not that easy of a decision. There`s someone selling an early 80ies JCM800 4x12 with Rola G12-80 speakers (T3351 with the 444 cones). As far as I red, those speakers could be a nice match for the 2203 but I am not sure for the SLP.
Another option would be hunting down a cab with G12-65, but these speakers had various incarnations as well which doesn`t make it easier.

Any ideas for the best match for these two amps? I don`t want to end up with two cabs.
Thanks

65s would be my choice. I’ve had a few different variations and the only difference to my ear is the high end; Marshall labeled T3120s are brightest but retain the same mids/lows. The 444 cones have a touch more low end but still sound like 65s. The Heritage reissue is spot on to the early 80s 3054 cone.

I'm running multiple amps thru a Splawn with 65 creams on top and V30s on bottom. Used to run 65s with Splawn small block 55s x pattern.
1993 1959 reissue (Monomyth)
1974 1959?Monomyth
1983 JCM 800 2203
EVH 5153 50 6L6
MESA TRIPLE Recitifer

Sounds great to me with all 🤘

65s would be my choice. I’ve had a few different variations and the only difference to my ear is the high end; Marshall labeled T3120s are brightest but retain the same mids/lows. The 444 cones have a touch more low end but still sound like 65s. The Heritage reissue is spot on to the early 80s 3054 cone.
Thanks for the reply.
I there`s actually another JCM 800 4x12 cab with G12-65 for sale locally, but of course more expensive than the one with G12-80.
They are the T3053 8 Ohm version which makes the cab 8 ohm altogether. Oddly enough I see a lot of 8 ohm JCM 800 4x12 cabs here in Switzerland for sale.
My only concern about them is, that 8 ohm speakers tend to sound darker compared to 16 ohm (at least that is what I`m hearing on YT videos) and possibly that cab would lack highs with the T3053s.
Any ideas on the difference of these speakers to the G12-80 and are my concerns about missing highs with the T3053 justified?

I don’t think you’ll be missing highs with them…they tend to be darker than V30s but can get bright/cutting with any MV/NMV Marshall in my experience.
G12 80s are nice speakers too, a little mid scooped compared to 65s with extended highs/lows vs the 65s. More neutral sounding maybe. Neither speaker is dark but the midrange is more pronounced in the 65s while the 80s have more top end. 65s are more a high powered Greenback than 80s are, in a comparison.

My choice would be a 1960B with Greenbacks. The next very close choice would be same cab with the EVH Heritage Greenbacks.

I use a modded 2203X, Soldano SLO30, Plexi clones, and some others. For me, vintage tones sound great with standard GB's and modern tones sound better with the EVH Heritage GB's. The Heritage's take just a tiny hair off of the high end.

Currently I run them both at the same time sitting to the left and right about 6' apart. Moving slightly to the left or right gives me more of one or the other. Standing back far enough gives a great mix of both.

I’m running a Marshall 4x12 with my SLP loaded with 2x h75 cream backs and 2x redbacks in a x pattern. I get the high end cut from the cream backs and the thicker low end from the redbacks. Great combo.

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I guess I will try to hunt down a G12-65 cab. I this does not work it`s gonna be one of the combo solutions. Is there a tonal difference running a marshall head on the 16 ohm tab vs. the 8 ohm?

As long as the cab is 16 ohm then you can run 4, 8 or 16. 16 is optimal; matching is always best but you can run the others as well. Running a 4 ohm out to a 16 ohm cab, the volume will be reduced slightly and more low end will be perceived. Some run mismatches permanently.

I just wanted to give you a little update. I was able to buy a beat up empty Marshall JCM 800 4x12 and an original G12-65 T3054. I ordered a new G12-65 heritage and for now installed both speakers in the cab.

First impression was, both speakers are spot on. Maybe the original has a little bit more upper mids and presence going on giving it livelier feel, but this could also be attributed to a hole in the grill cloth were the speaker was installed.
Anyway, the differences were so little that they could be attributed to usual production variances in between speakers of the same line.

Additionally, I was able to score a pair of early vented G12-t75 and I`m planning to run them together with the G12-65. Probably they will be installed in the lower part of the cab as I expect them to be brighter and the highs tend to be less exaggerated in this position.

So far I`m happy and am waiting for the G12-t75 to arrive :)

I just wanted to give you a little update. I was able to buy a beat up empty Marshall JCM 800 4x12 and an original G12-65 T3054. I ordered a new G12-65 heritage and for now installed both speakers in the cab.

First impression was, both speakers are spot on. Maybe the original has a little bit more upper mids and presence going on giving it livelier feel, but this could also be attributed to a hole in the grill cloth were the speaker was installed.
Anyway, the differences were so little that they could be attributed to usual production variances in between speakers of the same line.

Additionally, I was able to score a pair of early vented G12-t75 and I`m planning to run them together with the G12-65. Probably they will be installed in the lower part of the cab as I expect them to be brighter and the highs tend to be less exaggerated in this position.

So far I`m happy and am waiting for the G12-t75 to arrive :)
Let the new 65s break in. I know from experience they’ll get livelier with 50 - 100 hrs of loud pounding.

Let the new 65s break in. I know from experience they’ll get livelier with 50 - 100 hrs of loud pounding.
I always thought speakers loose some of the highs if broken in, but the original g12-65 seemed brighter in the comparison to the new heritage. But it was more of a pleasant kind of bright, like more high mids or presence.
Anyways, I gonna put the speaker through a break in process the next days. Should I hook up only the new one for the break in or both speakers together???

Last edited:
I have a Diezel FL cab with the old 65's in the top vented 75's in the bottom all 8 ohm - killer combination!
They are actually quite similar, the 75's having a bit more high/ low extension than the 65's
Good to hear! I was kind of expecting what you are saying for the g12-t75 and thought that the speakers will complement each other well.

I always thought speakers loose some of the highs if broken in, but the original g12-65 seemed brighter in the comparison to the new heritage. But it was more of a pleasant kind of bright, like more high mids or presence.
Anyways, I gonna put the speaker through a break in process the next days. Should I hook up only the new one for the break in or both speakers together???
As many speakers are different, some react in different ways to the break in process. I’ve had some lose that high frequency buzz after break in yet remain otherwise unchanged and yet others wake up and become less subdued after the same process. I’m not sure why that is but maybe it has something to do with construction differences such as rigidity of the speaker’s suspension and varying levels of doping between various models. Anyway, I’d only apply the break in process to a new one, being mindful of the wattage you’re putting through it.

Makes sense, as speakers seem to have a certain lifespan too.
I just found a thread where the break in method of Scumback speakers is explained feeding the speaker with 60 hz hum via a variac (Duration, Volts etc). Having one of these, I think it`s going to be my method of choice.

Always wondered what the g12-65 heritage speakers were like, sounds like they are pretty close to the originals. I’ve always wanted to try them. Never had the opportunity as the origjnal cabs aren’t easy to come by anymore.

Always wondered what the g12-65 heritage speakers were like, sounds like they are pretty close to the originals. I’ve always wanted to try them. Never had the opportunity as the origjnal cabs aren’t easy to come by anymore.
It`s currently your best bet if you can`t find the original ones.

I'm running multiple amps thru a Splawn with 65 creams on top and V30s on bottom. Used to run 65s with Splawn small block 55s x pattern.
1993 1959 reissue (Monomyth)
1974 1959?Monomyth
1983 JCM 800 2203
EVH 5153 50 6L6
MESA TRIPLE Recitifer

Sounds great to me with all 🤘
I paired a 65 cream with a Mesa V30 in a 2x12 and those particular speakers do pair extremely well. I can imagine that combo in a 4x12.

Back